3rd Confederation Reserve Cavalry
|3rd Confederation Reserve Cavalry|
|Unit Profile (as of 3145)|
|Nickname||Solar Eclipse |
|Parent Formation||Confederation Reserve Cavalry|
They took part in the Fourth Succession War, defended the Confederation during the combined Andurien-Canopus invasion, and fought in the Xin Sheng Campaign. Their tendency to fight to the last man rather than showing more prudent use of manpower and equipment has left them at the back of the resupply line and largely languishing.
Fourth Succession War
A battalion from the Third joined a company from Trimaldi's Secutors and a company of Lothar's Fusiliers in an attempt to destroy a supply depot on Kawich during Operation Riposte but was ambushed by infantry, armor, and a battalion of 'Mechs from the 1st Davion Guards. When faced with the dug in defenders the commander ordered a retreat but many over enthusiastic warriors ignored the command and charged hopelessly into the ambush. 
Xin Sheng Campaign
During Operation: Sovereign Justice the Third fought on Homestead and Manapire. On Homestead they split into small, lance sized elements and engaged in a guerrilla campaign. One lance, the Youling Zhanshi, was particularly effective. On both Homestead and Manapire they faced the Illician Lancers, fighting the skilled mercenaries to a standstill both times. They were recalled to Confederation space, where they split up into battalion sized groups and foiled attacks by both the Federated Suns and the Word of Blake. As of 3079 the Third was split up, with a short battalion on Tsingtao, Ares, and Capricorn III.
The assault on Sian made the unit snap out of its depression, and the extreme fighting they experienced in the Jihad quickly rebuilt their skills. In addition the fighting against the Capellan March forces resulted in the Third CRC acquiring a great deal of salvage from the Federated Suns. The unit is now proud of their status as a senior regiment of the Confederation Reserve Cavalry. The Third was once again split up in 3085 with battalion sized units stationed on Repulse, Ward, and Rollis.
During the Victoria War the Third rushed to reinforce Victoria. Unfortunately they arrived in battalion sized formations over the course of a week, and this made them easy targets for the AFFS units already on the world. Before the final battalion was destroyed, it inflicted heavy losses on the 22nd Avalon Hussars.
Reformed and staffed with troops who hated the Federated Suns. The Third CRC were able to vent their rage during Operation GREAT FLOOD, briefly battling the pro-Davion military splinter group Swordsworn. Afterwards they were pulled back to the Victoria Commonality and reassigned to the periphery border.
The Third Reserves loss of aerospace assets and much of its armor has resulted in their relying on older doctrines.
3063 to 3067
- CO/1st Battalion: Sang-shao Martin Penwall
- XO/2nd Battalion: Zhong-shao Lyle Crawford
- Armor Commander: Sao-shao Gart Umbiqua
- Armor Commander (3067): Sao-shao Rigel Black
- Infantry Commander: Captain Erin Karata
- Infantry Commander (3067): Sao-shao Erin Karata
- Mostly Taurian Concordat troops on exchange
3rd Confederation Reserve Cavalry (Regular/Questionable)
- CO: Sang-shao Lyle Crawford
3rd Cavalry Armor (Regular/Reliable)
- CO: Zhong-shao Habiki Yoshida
3rd Cavalry Support Staff (Company/Regular/Reliable)
- CO: Sao-shao Carol Akingson
3rd Confederation Reserve Cavalry (Regular/Reliable)
- CO: Sang-shao Kelly Taniwan
Sun Killer Flight (Green/Reliable)
- CO: Kong-zhong-shao Everett Enix
3rd Cavalry Armor (Regular/Reliable)
- CO: Zhong-shao Layton Elswick
3rd Cavalry Auxiliary (Regular/Questionable)
- CO: Zhong-shao Edsel Dhebar
3rd Reserves armor commander Sao-shao Gart Umbiqua attacked 'Mech commander Sang-shoa Martin Penwall after Gart was demoted. The ensuing incident resulted in the deaths of both men.
- Field Manual: 3145, p. 39, "Confederation Reserve Cavalry - 3rd Confederation Reserve Cavalry"
- House Liao (The Capellan Confederation), p. 105, "Regimental Deployment Table"
- Field Manual: The Capellan Confederation, p. 71, "3rd Confederation Reserve Cavalry Unit Profile"
- NAIS The Fourth Succession War Military Atlas Volume 1, p. 92, Kawich
- The Killing Fields, p. 16
- Field Manual: Updates, p. 32, "Capellan Confederation Deployment Table - 3067"
- BattleTech Dossiers: Youling Zhanshi, p. 1
- Field Report: CCAF, p. 11
- Field Manual: 3085, p. 28
- Field Manual: 3085, p. 34, "Capellan Confederation Deployment Table - 3085"
- Historical: Wars of the Republic Era, p. 54
- The Killing Fields, p. 17
- Field Manual: 3145, p. 47, "Capellan Confederation Deployment Table - 3145"