5th Confederation Reserve Cavalry
|5th Confederation Reserve Cavalry|
|Unit Profile (as of 3067)|
|Nickname||Apprentices of Warlock|
|Parent Formation||Confederation Reserve Cavalry|
Third Succession War
Fourth Succession War
Tsinghai was attacked during the Seventh Wave of Operation RAT; in contrast with the thirteen other Capellan worlds annexed with little difficulty during this wave, Tsinghai had a front-line garrison, consisting of a battalion from the Fifth and the First Battalion of Preston's Lancers. Without much time to plan, the Capellan Operations Command of the AFFS attempted to use numbers to compensate for a lack of information and planning time, and deployed two regiments of the Twelfth Vegan Rangers - Gamma and Delta Regiments, respectively - and the complete Twentieth Avalon Hussars Regimental Combat Team. The task force landed on Tsinghai on the 8th of December, with the Vegan Rangers targeting the Cavalry while the Twentieth Hussars engaged Preston's Lancers. The Rangers were able to bracket the Cavalry troops in a long valley, using numbers to their advantage and outflanking the Cavalry; the Cavalry had luck on their side, and were able to fight through to their DropShips and abandon Tsinghai after losing only half their strength.
Preston's Lancers were able to avoid being encircled by the Hussars, breaking through the Hussars' line, but were soon being atacked by the Hussars' aerospace fighters and a regiment of hovertanks. The Lancers retreated into the Hornatio Valley, a twisting river valley, with the Hussars in close pursuit. The Lancers launched several ambushes against the more numerous Hussar forces, until the Hussars dispatched a 'Mech battalion and an armored regiment around to the river delta and used their other forces to drive the Lancers towards them. The Hussars' trap was successful, and after two days of combat in the river delta a single company of Lancers managed to escape, leaving the planet under Federated Suns control.
Xin Sheng Campaign
At some point during the war the 5th Reserve faced off against the 1st Janissaries on either Warlock or Tantara as conflicting accounts of the location exist. Warlock is an arctic planet therefore it is likely that it is the correct site for the battle. After heavy fighting the 5th Reserve retreated to await reinforcements but regained the initiative when joined by a regiment of McCarron's Armored Cavalry.
In 3064 the 5th Reserve faced pirates while on regular rotation to Zanzibar. While the regiment was on Zanzibar raiding actions by the Shen-sè Tian pirate band forced the Cavalry to redeploy in battalion strength. A green battalion of the Cavalry subsequently fought two battalions of pirates commanded by Pirate-major Kerry Wung on Muridox and handily defeated them using combined armed tactics.
During the opening part of the Jihad the Fifth CRC was part of the Capellan counterattack after Operation: Sovereign Justice. They first landed on Imalda and, assisted by elements of the Death Commandos, faced the 21st Illician Rangers from the Illician Lancers mercenary brigade. The 21st Rangers were forced to fight a guerilla campaign due to lack of supplies, striking back more than once at the more numerous Capellan forces before the supply situation forced them to withdraw to Sendalor. After defeating the Lancers, the Fifth CRC moved on to New Westin, where they defeated the Jie Fang Legion. The fighting took a heavy toll on the Fifth, and they redeployed to new garrison stations on Foot Fall, Mandate, and Remshield after returning to Capellan space.
The Fifth Reserve Cavalry is unique among its peers in that every battalion has been reorganized into the Capellan Augmented Battalion formations (other CCAF units typically have a single Augmented Battalion). This provides a great deal of tactical flexibility. In 3085 the Fifth Reserve Cavalry was garrison for Jonathan.
As part of Operation CELESTIAL SPEAR the Fifth was assigned to Wei alongside the 6th Confederation Reserve Cavalry, 4th McCarron's Armored Cavalry, and Warrior House Kamata to try to disrupt Kai Allard-Liao on his parade of vengeance.
During the fight on Warlock, the 5th Reserve placed hidden infantry units on the field of battle which revealed themselves at the height of the main attack and hit the distracted enemy from an unexpected quarter.
- CO: Colonel Odelia Mitschke
3063 to 3067
- CO/1st Battalion: Sang-shao Rhi Song
- XO/2nd Battalion: Zhong-shao Richard Ashington
- 3rd Battalion: Zong-shao Makura Masushta
- No separate Command Company
- Wing Commander: Kong-sao-shao Arik Ivanov
- Armor Commander: Zhong-shao Dalia Jo Raihn
- Infantry Commander: Sao-shao Que Dim Pahn
- Two Companies of anti-Mech trained Jump troops, 1 Artillery Company
- All Jump troops skilled as artillery spotters
5th Confederation Reserve Cavalry (Regular/Reliable)
- CO: Sang-shao Rhi Song
5th Reserve Air Corps (Flight/Veteran/Fanatical)
- CO: Kong-sao-shao Kirby Lynch
5th Reserve Armor Corps (Regular/Reliable)
- CO: Zhong-shao Kui Nung Ip
5th Reserve Auxiliary Forces (1 Battalion/Regular/Reliable)
- CO: Sao-shao Yuk Fai Ng
- House Liao (The Capellan Confederation, p. 105, "Regimental Deployment Table - 3025"
- NAIS The Fourth Succession War Military Atlas Volume 2, p. 59, "Tsinghai"
- Field Manual: Update, p. 22, "5th Confederation Reserve Cavalry"
- Field Manual: Capellan Confederation, p. 72, "5th Confederation Reserve Cavalry Unit Profile"
- House Liao (The Capellan Confederation, p. 152, Warlock
- Field Report: CCAF, p. 11
- Mercenaries Supplemental Update, p. 73, "Illician Lancers"
- Field Manual: 3085, p. 28
- Field Manual: 3085, p. 34, "CCAF Deployment Table - 3085"
- Operational Turning Points: Capellan Crusades, p. 23
- 20 Year Update, p. 62, "CCAF Deployment Table - 3050"
- Objective Raids, p. 41, "CCAF Deployment Table - 3054"
- Field Manual: Update, p. 32, "CCAF Deployment Table - 3067"
- 20 Year Update
- Field Manual: 3085
- Field Manual: Capellan Confederation
- Field Manual: Updates
- Field Report: CCAF
- House Liao (The Capellan Confederation)
- Mercenaries Supplemental Update
- NAIS The Fourth Succession War Military Atlas Volume 1
- NAIS The Fourth Succession War Military Atlas Volume 2
- Objective Raids