Ares (Combat Vehicle)
- Devlin Stone's Origins Revealed
- BattleTech Is Coming In April!
- Blaine Lee Pardoe Provides Fascinating Look At “Twilight Of The Clans” Origins
- Year of Battle Armor: Unit 1 - Corona Heavy Battle Armor
- Community Outreach - Interview With Brent Evans, Lead BattleTech Developer At Catalyst Games
- Read more →
|Ares Medium tank|
|Armor||Compound G5 Ferro-Fibrous|
|Communications System||2SH C3|
|Targeting Tracking System||Build 4 JVJ TTS w/ Artemis IV FCS|
The Ares Medium Tank is designed to stand off and take down its enemies at long range. Its top speed of 86 km/h is fast for a fire support combat vehicle, so it is often paired with armored personnel carriers to support infantry. Four and a half tons of Ferro-Fibrous armor protect the vehicle and its crew; this somewhat meager amount encourages Ares crews to stay out of range of most return fire. The Ares also includes CASE, allowing its crew to survive an internal explosion. This tank is most popular with Clan Coyote and Clan Wolf, though it is present in some numbers in most Clans.
Weapons and Equipment
Primarily a stand-off fighter, the Ares carries a Series 7Ja ER Large Laser in its turret. Mounted in the front are Type X "Short Bow" LRM-10 and Type XV "Crossbow" LRM-15 launchers, each of which include an Artemis IV Fire Control System. In addition, the missiles can be fired indirectly with the help of a spotter; though somewhat un-Clanlike, indirect fire can preserve the safety of an Ares and its crew. On the other hand, the Clantech missiles have no problem arming quickly, making them just as potent up close, unlike their Inner Sphere counterparts; this makes the Ares that much deadlier at short range. However, the limited ammunition supply forces gunners to rely primarily on the laser, using the missiles sparingly.
- MUL online date for the Ares (Combat Vehicle)
- Combat Operations, p. 111
- Record Sheets: 3060 Unabridged, p. 77
- Technical Readout: 3060, pp. 52-53, "Ares Vehicle Profile"
- Record Sheets: 3060 Unabridged, p. 78, "Plasma variant of the Ares".