Ares Mark IX Attack Craft
- Devlin Stone's Origins Revealed
- BattleTech Is Coming In April!
- Blaine Lee Pardoe Provides Fascinating Look At “Twilight Of The Clans” Origins
- Year of Battle Armor: Unit 1 - Corona Heavy Battle Armor
- Community Outreach - Interview With Brent Evans, Lead BattleTech Developer At Catalyst Games
- Read more →
|Ares Mark IX (Attack Craft)|
|Use||Deep Space Escort|
|Type (Shape)||Small Craft (Military Aerodyne)|
|Tech Base||Inner Sphere|
|Engine (Type)||Fusion Engine|
|Armament|| 1x ER Large Laser|
|Heat Sinks||15 Double Heat Sinks|
|Crew||4 (3 Enlisted, 1 Gunner)|
The Ares Mark IX Attack Craft (also known as the AAC), is a deep space escort vessel that is related to the Mark VII Landing Craft. The ship is based on the ancient Ares Mark I small craft, produced in the twenty-fifth century, and this modern version started production in the middle of the Jihad. Like its ancient predecessor, the ship is used to escort military DropShips through hostile space using its ECM capacities and firepower.
The first notable use of the ship was during the Allied Coalition's Invasion of Terra in 3079, where the design was used to scout ahead of the task force assigned to wipe out the Word of Blake's aerospace defenses.
Weapons and Equipment
The ship arsenal includes a Extended Range Large Laser for long range strikes while the ship approaches its target. Once it has closed into optimal range, the ship's twin Large Pulse Lasers and four Medium Pulse Lasers can be brought to bear on the target for devastating effect.
As part of its equipment to carry out its duty as escort vessel, the ship has been fitted with Beagle Active Probe and it uses its built-in ECM capacities. The ship is protected by 27 tons of Standard armor, with focus to nose of the craft. The ship has a small 3 ton Cargo Bay for the crew's needs.
- Ares Attack Craft Mark I
- Based on the Mark I Landing Craft, the ACC Mark I was slower than current Mark IX. The craft was armed with 3 Large Lasers and 4 Medium Lasers with 15 single Heat Sinks to handle its heat. Like all military small craft, it has its standard build-in ECM.
Though listed on the table of contents for Record Sheets: 3085 Unabridged - The Cutting Edge, the Ares is not actually included.
- Technical Readout: 3085, pp. 120-121, Ares Mark IX (Attack Craft)
- MUL online entry for the Ares Mark IX Attack Craft
- Strategic Operations, pp. 111-112, "Electronic Countermeasures (ECM)"