4th Amaris Dragoons
|Fourth Amaris Dragoons|
|Unit Profile (as of 2750)|
|Nickname||The Far Guard|
|Parent Formation||Amaris Dragoons|
Rim Worlds Republic Civil War
The Fourth Amaris Dragoons engaged the Rim Republican Army's rebellion during the Reunification War. On the 23rd of April 2575 Gregory Amaris ordered the Fourth Amaris Dragoons in to disrupt a massive worker's strike at the Diplass Technologies BattleMech plant on Apollo, a strike which had been sparked by Amaris' issuing the Manchester Directive and by his favouring of companies and employees from outside the Republic.
The Fourth were unprepared for the order and for the scale of the strike; the small detachment sent to the were quickly overwhelmed, and the workers declared that Amaris' use of the military to try and prevent their strike constituted a breach of the public trust in his office. The failure of the Fourth to disrupt the strike led Amaris to then order the Seventh Amaris Legionnaires and Eighth Amaris Fusiliers in to disrupt the strike where the Fourth had failed; both regiments promptly defected to the opposition, leaving Amaris isolated and uncertain of the loyalties of the Fourth, and Amaris lead his surviving loyalist forces to take refuge in island estates while also sending couriers to Terra to request assistance from the Star League as the Republic descended into civil war.
The striking workers formed the Rim Provisional Government with the support of the Rift Republican Army; the RRA was originally a military unit, but had become a well-respected organization akin to a veteran's association prior to the civil war. Amaris' decision to outlaw the RRA and seize the assets of its members had played a part in the general feeling of resentment amongst the citizens of the Republic, and the RRA became actively involved with the RPG when the war broke out. With the Seventh Legionnaires and the Eighth Fusiliers both declaring their support for the RRA and RPG while the Amaris Republican Guard and other units on Apollo remained loyal to Amaris, the Fourth found itself stuck between two large forces, neither of whom trusted the Fourth.
The Fourth initially tried to act as a neutral arbiter between the RRA and the Loyalist forces, while recovering from the losses taken at the Diplass plant; this changed after the first time a hard-line faction within the RRA staged a coup and toppled the provisional government. The Fourth sided with Amaris in response to the coup, and over the next twenty years would play a key role in defending his estates from RRA forces. As a consequence of the Fourth's service, Amaris made them an unofficial part of the Amaris Household Guard and decorated the Fourth at the end of the civil war. They would still be on Apollo in 2596, however they were disarmed and rendered combat-ineffective by the SLDF most likely during the liberation of Amaris' island estates by forces from the 2nd Marik Auxiliary Corps led by Duke Narinder Selaj.
Following Amaris' rescue, the Free Worlds League Military joined the SLDF units led by Archon Viola Steiner-Dinesen and the Fourth Royal Guards besieging Terra Prime as they attempted to dislodge the Seventh Legionnaires and Eighth Fusiliers. The FWLM forces brought Amaris loyalist forces with them, presumably including some or all of the Fourth Dragoons, and were due to take part in a trap prepared by the Archon that hinged around using herself as a high-profile traget to draw out the RRA forces to a point where the FWLM, Amaris Loyalist and SLDF forces could join the attack against them. A communications glitch left the Fourth Royal Guards unsupported and saw the Archon take fatal injuries before her force could be rescued, resulting in the Archon being repatriated to Tharkad (where she died soon after) followed by General Nathan Isaacson, the overall Task Force MAILED FIST commanding officer, assuming overall command of the ground component of the campaign to secure Apollo. The end result was a five-month siege of Terra Prime that saw the provisional government surrender in September 2596.
Star League Era
In 2716 the 4th Amaris Dragoons were assigned to the Star's End region of the Rim Worlds Republic, and would be deployed on Gustrell alongside the 2nd Lyran Guards in the aftermath of the Gustrell Massacre in 2746.
It was the first unit to arrive in the Terran Hegemony after Richard Cameron asked Stefan Amaris's help in garrisoning the Hegemony, earning them their unit nickname, "The Far Guard".. The unit employed a nuclear device to destroy the Royal Black Watch, a portion of the First Lord's bodyguard unit, during the takeover of Terra.
- 2575 to 2595, Colonel Charlse Svennsen.
- 2740 to 2775, Colonel Xatt Dague.
- 2766, Colonel Armstrong Duket.
- The Fourth Amaris Dragoons may Bank Initiative.
- The Fourth Amaris Dragoons may use Overrun Combat.
- The Fourth Amaris Dragoons receive a -1 penalty to all repair rolls as a consequence of the disruption caused to the logistical infrastructure of the Rim Worlds Army during the Rim Worlds Republic civil war.
- The Star League, p. 51, "Rim Worlds War"
- Historical: Reunification War, p. 130-131, "The Spark"
- Era Report: 2750, p. 16, "Preparations"
- Historical: Reunification War, p. 43, "Fourth Amaris Dragoons (RWA)"
- Historical: Reunification War, p. 155
- Historical: Reunification War, p. 139, "Bitter Harvests (2591-2596)"
- Era Report: 2750, p. 93, "Xatt Dague"
- Era Report: 2750, p. 51, "Second Lyran Guards"
- The Star League, p. 80, "Setting the Trap"
- The Star League, p. 83, "Conquest of the Hegemony"
- Northwind Highlanders, p. 17
- Historical: Reunification War, p. 131
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1, p. 73 "Desperate Actions"
- Technical Readout: 3075, pp. 292-293, "Ignis Infantry Support Tank"
- Historical: Reunification War, p. 183, "Rim Worlds Republic"