Gorgon (DropShip class)
|Tech Base||Inner Sphere|
|Fuel (tons)||500 tons|
|Fuel (days)||271.7 days|
|Crew|| 3 Officers |
36 Bay personnel
|Heat Sinks||88 Double Heat Sinks|
Designed by the elements of the former Free Worlds League near the end of the thirty-first century, the Gorgon-class DropShip is a medium sized fighter carrier. The class first appeared in 3096 and was intended to act as an interdiction vessel, where its fighter compliment was its primary means of carrying out its missions. The ship would serve the splintered Free Worlds League well into mid thirty-second century and continue to serve the partially reunited House Marik.
Armament and Capacities
Though designed as interdiction and force-projection vessel, the Gorgon is considered to be slow for intended interdiction missions. However, the ship carries a large payload of fuel in order keep itself and its fighter compliment supplied for its missions. Often being deployed in place of Assault and Pocket WarShip type DropShips, the Gorgon is fitted with 51.5 tons of Ferro-Aluminum Armor to allow it to survive the rigors of these combat engagements. Its armor is nearly evenly spread out throughout the hull with slightly enhanced nose and wings sections
The class was designed to be a modern version of the ancient Titan-class fighter carrier DropShips, with its ability to deploy three Aerospace Fighter Squadrons. One of the ship's unique features is the cargo bay running the length of the hull, which is able to hold a thousand tons of cargo help sustain its fighter compliment and itself. However, during course of its active use, many ship's complements would modify their vessel's cargo bays into an internal bomb bay; effectively allow the Gorgon to act as massive bomber carrying aerospace craft that could deliver devastating bombing runs to both space and ground targets.
The ship's weaponry includes three Extended-Range PPCs and three Gauss Rifles with 48 rounds of ammunition in the nose section. Two weapons bays provide the ship with a powerful weapon array along with its wing section which includes a Heavy PPC and a pair of Artemis IV guided 15-Tubed Long-Range Missile Launchers with 48 volleys worth of fire. From these wing arcs six Anti-Missile System (3 per wing section) provide a screen of point defense fire against small to capital scale missiles. The Gorgon's aft weaponry includes a pair of Artemis IV FCS controlled 15-tube LRMs and three more Anti-Missile Systems.
- Bay 1: Aerospace Fighter Bay (18 Fighters) - 3 Doors
- Bay 2: Cargo (1,002 tons) - 1 Door
- Franco Liao (exFWS Reginald Marik) - Formerly a FWL vessel in service of the Marik-Stewart Commonwealth, the ship was captured during the Victoria War of 3105. Retained as spoils of war, the ship was renamed the Franco Liao by the Confederation. The Commonwealth and later the reunited Free Worlds League would continue to offer a high bounty for its return.
- FWS Wanda Marik - Originally serving as part of the Marik-Stewart Commonwealth's navy, the vessel would be noted for its action during the Operation Hammerfall. The ship's most noted action was during the 3138 defense of Helm, where it fought against Clan Wolf and the Lyran Commonwealth invasion force and was able to damage elements of the Wolves’ DropShip forces enough to delay their arrival on planet. During the fighting on Helm, the Wanda Marik utilized its modified cargo bays to drop aerial bombs on the enemy expedition's ground forces.
The Gorgon Carrier is subject to the following Design Quirk:
- MUL online date for the Gorgon (DropShip class)
- Technical Readout: 3145 Free Worlds League, pp. 53 & 99 Gorgon Carrier - BV2.
- Gorgon Class DropShip profile on the MUL with BV2.
- Record Sheets: 3145 Unabridged, p. 266
- Technical Readout: 3145 Free Worlds League, pp. 52 & 99 Gorgon Carrier - Background.
- Technical Readout: 3145 Free Worlds League, pp. 52, 53 & 99 Gorgon Carrier - Stats.
- 25 Years of Art & Fiction, p.29 Timeline - Date of the Victoria War listed.
- Technical Readout: 3145 Free Worlds League, p. 52 Gorgon Carrier - FWS Reginald Marik/Franco Liao history.
- Technical Readout: 3145 Free Worlds League, p. 52 Gorgon Carrier - FWS Wanda Marik's ship history.