Liberty (JumpShip class)
BattleTech Community Ads:
|Manufacturer||Blue Nose Interstellar Technologies|
|Tech Base||Inner Sphere|
|Sail Diameter||1,650 Meters|
|KF Drive Integrity||5|
|Crew||7 Officers |
22 Steerage Passengers
10 Bay Personnel
|Grav Decks||1 45 Meter diameter|
|Escape Pods/Life Boats||4/5|
Created by Blue Nose Interstellar Technologies of Mars, the Liberty class was the first "modern" JumpShip, i.e. the first one designed to make use of the newly developed hardpoint/docking collar technology which has since become a defining feature of JumpShip construction.
The Liberty's creation was due in part for the need for a more economic design. The JumpShips being produced at the time were bulky and fragile vessels; they could only carry small craft or so-called DropShuttles of up to 5,000 tons, which had to be docked inside the hull of the JumpShip in a DropShuttle bay.
Blue Nose's efforts, with aid of Mars University’s Department of Theoretical Physics, resulted in the development of the external docking hardpoint and K-F Boom. By allowing a JumpShip to carry its DropShips externally and cutting its hull size down, these measures would result in a reduction in overall cost of interstellar travel. The prototype vessel, BNC Olympus, made its first jump across the Terran system in 2458 with the DropShip Nimbus III (built by Deimos Clipperships) attached.
Production of the Liberty class did not begin until 2461; the class is said to have been properly introduced only in 2469. Blue Nose initially built a dozen Liberty hulls for the Terran Hegemony. The ship's success led the company to merge with its partners and form Blue Nose Clipperships corporation (later known for its massive shipyards orbiting Mars).
The original design included 60 tons of Standard Armor protecting its hull.
- Bay 1: Small Craft (2) - 2 Doors
- Bay 2: Cargo (566.5 Tons) - 2 Doors
- The image given for the Liberty class is the virtual same as the image for the Invader class, suggesting these two JumpShips are visually indistinguishable (although the Invader has only three quarters of the mass of the Liberty, and only three hardpoints compared to the Liberty's four.)
- As of this writing, the Liberty has no Battle Value assigned to it.
- Experimental Technical Readout: Primitives, Volume 3, p. 15
- MUL Profile of Liberty Class JumpShip - No BV2 listed.
- Experimental Technical Readout: Primitives, Volume 3, p. 15, 32 Liberty - No BV2 listed with main article or Record Sheet.