- Did You Know? - Fan made TRO 3028 is better than the originals!
- BattleTech Technology - Today!
- Someone did the math on how many 'Mechs you kill in MechWarrior 3
- A chat with MechWarrior Online Champs: Empyreal's prtNspz - Full Interview
- Unstoppable: A chat with MechWarrior Online Champs, Empyreal's prtNspz
- Read more →
Majesty Metals and Manufacturing,
Pinard Protectorates Limited,
|Tech Base||Inner Sphere|
|Power Plant||Nissan 225|
3 x Medium Lasers
|Communications System||BipStar 49-G|
|Tracking & Targeting System||Ki-II TTS|
The longest-serving Aerospace Fighter design in the Draconis Combine, the Sabre is a sturdy garrison fighter, now infamous for its role in one of the greatest intelligence projects in Combine history, the "Raimei Ring".
While extremely short-ranged when first developed, the Sabre was well-regarded for its exceptional speed and maneuverability. The original manufacturer, Raimei, continued to upgrade the fighter as technology advanced; the final version produced by Raimei was the SB-27 model which featured a Nissan 225 Fusion Engine, double the fuel capacity of the previous model and replace the previous primitive armor with four tons of BattleMech grade armor, giving the same protection for less weight.
Part of the reason the Sabre is such a common design in planetary garrisons across the Inner Sphere is because Raimei had established semi-independent factories in all five of the other Great Houses and two Periphery states by 2572. Due to close links between the company and House Kurita, each newly built facility also became a clearing house for ISF spies funneling intelligence back to the Combine. The ring would prove invaluable to the Combine and operate right up until Raimei's financial collapse in 2814, when the surviving Sabre assembly lines fell to other manufacturers. One of the revelations coming to light during the Word of Blake's White-out of the HPG grid during the Jihad, the existence of the so-called "Raimei Ring" has brought into question the loyalties of many multi-national corporations.
Weapons and Equipment
- This "Royal" variant was fielded during Kerensky's campaign to liberate Terra and is equipped with twice as many Medium Lasers as the standard SB-27, mounting a pair in each wing and the nose. It uses an XL Engine and the heat sinks were replaced with double strength models. BV (2.0) = 1,059
- Originally an advanced model produced exclusively for the Terran Hegemony by the Raimei/Lockeed plant on Outreach from 2753, the -28 variant has been revived during the Jihad and produced for the Kell Hounds thanks to design specs supplied to Lockheed/CBM by Clan Wolf-in-Exile. Mounting an XL Engine, the SB-28 has enough space to switch the nose laser for an ER Large Laser, while the addition of Ferro-Aluminum armor boosts protection. BV (2.0) = 951
- SB-31 Defense Special
- Designed with extensive use of experimental technologies, the Defense Special appears to be a test-bed for a new idea. As the DCA has spent so much money on WarShips, Wakazashi produced this fighter to thicken their anti-missile defenses. Using an XL Engine and ER Medium Lasers, the Defense Special also mounts three Laser Anti-Missile Systems. Apparently pilots are supposed to stick close to a Combine WarShip and position themselves between the WarShip and incoming missile fire. The L-AMS then engage the salvo, reducing or destroying it outright. This leaves the WarShip's defenses ready to deal with any "leakers" that get past the Defense Special. Another possible deployment would place the Defense Special in the center of a flight, destroying incoming missiles and protecting its wingmates. No Defense Specials are known to be deployed. BV (2.0) = 884
- The production version of the Sabre Defense Special, this version was restricted to use by Wakazashi and related shipping concerns. It was only offered to the Draconis Combine Admiralty in 3079. It mounts the three Laser AMS's of the Defense Special and the same three ER Medium Lasers, but reduces its fuel capability slightly in order to mount eleven double heat sinks. BV (2.0) = 935
The Sabre was introduced in AeroTech 1st edition as one of the six original designs, with no model number, release date, or 'fluff', finally getting fully statted with TRO:3075.
- MUL online date for the Sabre
- AeroTech 2 Record Sheets, p. 33
- Technical Readout: 3075, p. 212, "Sabre"
- Record Sheets: 3075 Unabridged - Age of War, p. 106
- Record Sheets: 3075 Unabridged - Age of War, p. 105
- Record Sheets: Operation Klondike, p. 83
- Record Sheets: 3075 Unabridged - Age of War, p. 107
- Record Sheets: 3075 Unabridged - Age of War, p. 108
- Experimental Technical Readout: Corporations, p. 14
- Technical Readout: Prototypes, p. 167
- Record Sheets: Prototypes, p. 83
- Technical Readout: 3057, p. 179
- AeroTech 2 Record Sheets
- Experimental Technical Readout: Corporations
- Historical: Operation Klondike
- Record Sheets: 3075
- Record Sheets: 3075 Unabridged - Age of War
- Record Sheets: Operation Klondike
- Record Sheets: Prototypes
- Technical Readout: 3057
- Technical Readout: 3075
- Technical Readout: Prototypes