2nd Ariana Fusiliers
|Second Ariana Fusiliers|
|Unit Profile (as of 3028)|
|Parent Formation||Chesterton Reserves|
The Second Ariana Fusiliers was a Capellan Confederation BattleMech regiment formed during the First Succession War and thus sometimes considered a newcomer in comparison to many older units that date back to the Star League era. It was the sister unit to the First Ariana Fusiliers.
First Succession War
The Second Ariana Fusiliers formed in 2799. The Second saw action during the First Succession War on Chesterton where they lost several lances to Davion Aerospace fighters in 2812. The Second lost more than two battalions of troops on Chesterton, as did their sister regiment, the First Ariana Fusiliers, levels of casualties that were typical of those CCAF regiments in the initial exchanges as the Confederation tried to reclaim the Chesterton worlds. This led to the Second being consolidated into a single oversized battalion in the aftermath of the campaign. Vincent's Commandos and Cochraine's Goliaths took similarly heavy losses, as did the attached conventional forces.
Second Succession War
The unit was then devastated and almost reduced to the point of existing only on paper while defending Tikonov in 2832-2833 against House Davion's Ceti Hussars. The regiment's transport was sent to more prestigious frontline units, effectively stranding the remaining 2nd Ariana Fusiliers on Tikonov and Algol.
Third Succession War
In 2987 the unit once again defended Tikonov against a Davion invasion. Despite their numerical disadvantage, the 2nd Ariana Fusiliers survived and were rewarded for their resilient service with salvaged Davion 'Mechs. The regiment was then re-organized into a mobile field force. No longer strictly a defensive formation, the unit was sent on occasional raids into the Capellan March early in the 31st Century to pave the way for planned future offensives into the region.
In 3008 the Second Ariana Fusiliers were sent to defend New Aragon, which the Capellan Confederation had just recently taken from the Federated Suns. The Davion counter-attack (which included elements of the Avalon Hussars, Crucis Lancers and the mercenary Wolf's Dragoons) forced the Liao troops off-planet after heavy fighting.
Fourth Succession War
The unit was destroyed in the Fourth Succession War. During the failed defense of Tikonov the Second Ariana Fusiliers fought hard against the First Crucis Lancers Regimental Combat Team, dealing heavy damage on the Davion tank and infantry regiments, but themselves lost more than a battalion of 'Mechs, as well as their commander. The remaining Fusiliers retreated off Tikonov, only to be destroyed a few months later on Algot during Operation Riposte.
Second Ariana Fusiliers (Green/Questionable)
- - At this point in time the Fusiliers were a medium-weight regiment based on Sonnia, and had been reduced to barely more than a battalion in strength.
Second Ariana Fusiliers (Regular/Questionable)
- CO: Colonel Syngin Volcane
- First Battalion: Major Fiona King
- Second Battalion: Major Edmund Yare
- Third Battalion: Major Samuel Stark
- - The Fusiliers was largely equipped with salvaged BattleMechs and other equipment with no concentration in any one design.
The unit is noted to not suffer from the “Bad Luck” attributed to the 1st Ariana Fusiliers.
- House Liao (The Capellan Confederation), p. 83, "2nd Ariana Fusiliers"
- First Succession War, p. 97, "Liao's Last Play: The Battle For Chesterton"
- Handbook: House Liao, p. 29, "Debacle at Chesterton"
- Wolf's Dragoons (sourcebook), p. 11 - Battle of New Aragon
- NAIS The Fourth Succession War Military Atlas Volume 1, pp. 30 and 89-90
- First Succession War, p. 135, "Capellan Confederation Armed Forces (CCAF)"