|Chassis||Bergan Version 6.2 Endo Steel|
|Communications System||Raldon R1|
|Targeting Tracking System||Dalban Hirez II|
|Heat Sinks||23 Double heat sinks|
Introduced in the late Jihad in 3078, the Sphinx was designed by Clan Nova Cat as a heavier companion to the Black Hawk OmniMech. The design was originally intended as OmniMech, but was changed due to the need to field 'Mechs more quickly to combat the Blakists.
The Sphinx is built around an array of multiple lasers, allowing it put out a massive amount of firepower at moderate ranges. It also maintains a similar movement profile to the Black Hawk although it lacks the jump jets of the lighter design. Its heavier frame also supports 13.5 tons of standard clan armor, making it more durable than the smaller Black Hawk. Helping to cope with the heavy heat burden that its weapons mix can generate, it is fitted with 26 Double Heat Sinks.
The Mech's principal armament is a pair of arm mounted Series 6b Extended Range Large Lasers. These weapons give the 'Mech its ranged combat ability. For intermediate ranges, the 'Mech can turn to its ten Series 2f Extended Range Medium Lasers, all of which are mounted in its side torsos.
- Sphinx 2 - The second variant appeared in 3080, just prior to the end of the Jihad. This variant was produced by Clan Nova Cat in preparation for the last thrust against the Blakists. The design drops all its ER Mediums Lasers and a single Double Heat Sink for the following modifications: In place of the ER Medium Lasers, a series of 10 ER Small Lasers are split up between the side torsos. Also, both ER Large Lasers are moved to the Center Torso, and MASC has been added. To help with more precise strikes, a Targeting Computer is added.. BV (2.0) = 2,753
 Dark Age Dossier Variants
- NC319-13A - Modified for long range, this variant replaces the weapons payload with eight Series 1G ER Small Lasers and two Series 7K ER Large Lasers for variable fire.
- SF156-06A - A Sea Fox modification, this variant removes the Targeting Computer and MASC systems. It also uses Ferro-Fibrous armor to free up additional payload space for the inclusion of two additional ER Large Lasers. This version is known for its common overheating.
- NC101-54B - Intended for picket duty, this variant follows a similar upgrade pattern as the SF156-06A. It also replaces the array of ER Large and Medium lasers with an array of ten General System Heavy Small Lasers and two Kolbri Delta Series Large Pulse Lasers.
Originally the Dossiers for the Sphinx commonly armed the 'Mech fitted out with only 10 Clan ER Medium Lasers, MASC (108 Km/ph) and a Targeting Computer. Offical Catayst Game Labs publication of Technical Readout: 3085 would showcased first canon stats for the 'Mech Jihad era. This would superceding previous list variant in the Dark Age. As of this writing, Dark Age variants are not considered canon until 'mech stats are published by Catayst Game Labs.
 BattleMech Gallery
- ↑ Technical Readout: 3085, p. 169, "Sphinx" - BV2 for the 'Mech listed.
- ↑ Technical Readout: 3085, p. 168-169, "Sphinx" - fluff and stat info.
- ↑ Technical Readout: 3085, p. 168, "Variants" - Sphinx 2 stats and specifics noted
- ↑ Record Sheets: 3085 Unabridged - The Cutting Edge, p. 242