|Politican and Protector of the Taurian Concordat|
|Parents||Zarantha Calderon (mother)|
|Children|| Edward Calderon|
Appearance and Personality
Thomas in his prime was a man of medium build with black curly hair. As of 3028, he was a borderline paranoiac, which caused his increasing concern of House Davion's attack against his realm. He was able, despite that, to be a devoted husband and father to his wife and children. However his paranoia would worsen after the death of his eldest son.
Thomas was the eldest son of Zarantha Calderon. During his childhood he lost his left eye in a hunting accident which was replaced with a cybernetic eye.
Early Years of his reign as Protector
In 3017, Thomas succeeded his mother. He set on building up the Aerospace forces of TDF as part of his passion to protect the Concordat from attack. He arranged a treaty with the Outworlds Alliance to enable Alliance instructors to increase his pilots' training. As part of these efforts, he opened two universities set outside of the old borders of the Hyades Cluster. Thomas saw the colonization efforts of the Far Lookers as a potential security risk, and he felt that the enlarged Concordat was vulnerable to attack. After the Fourth Succession War, he began to shift colonization funding toward his military to bring them to point that invasion would be rebuffed if attempted.
Thomas's mental state took a turn for the worse in 3034, when his son Edward was killed in a DropShip accident. The accident had also killed dozen of his other advisors, but his son had been the closest to him, and the loss hurt him deeply. Thomas took a dangerous political turn then as Edward had previously quelled his fear of invasion. In the following year, he abolished tax credits that helped fund the colonization efforts of the Far Lookers. However, unknown to Thomas, members of the Trade & Colonization Ministry had been embezzling money to guarantee funding for group's future efforts.
In 3037, Thomas launched an investigation into why his crash course to develop ferro-fibrous armor from the ruins of an SLDF depot on Celano had not succeeded. The investigation instead turned up the Far Lookers' embezzling scheme. Infuriated by this, he ordered the arrest of the entire Ministry of Trade and Colonization and seized the assets of those involved. The scandal would derail his efforts to have high tech armor developed in his life time.
Tensions increased on the Federated Suns/Federated Commonwealth border. A series of accidents and rogue raids in the 3040's led to him ordering the Concordat's defense forces to go high alert in 3049. He became convinced that FedCom's war exercise Future Victor 39 being held on border worlds was staging points for invasion of the Concordat. His surviving children save Jeffery would soon be unable to become heir-apparent to take on the title of Protector.
During this time, Taurian Guard Corp's commanding officer Marshal Haji Doru began voicing his political opposition to Thomas's policies. In citing that efforts to maintain a constant red alert was bad for the nation's economy, standing alert status while maintaining a strong defense.
Later Years as Protector and his Removal
During the 3040s and 50s, Thomas' son, Jeffrey had secretly developed strong friendship with his then Commander Haji Doru while serving in Taurian Guards. Jeffrey discreetly began to set the frame work to strengthen the Concordat and ultimately end in Thomas' removal. Marshal Doru continued to question Thomas's policies, which he ignored.
In 3055, members of the Ministry of Trade and Colonization disturbed Thomas's meeting with his advisers whom demanded the end of Conscription of civilians for construction military projects. They threatened him with court action, accusing him of violating the civil liberties of citizens of the Concordat. Soon after this confrontation, Thomas ordered Marshal Doru to arrest the ministers for their "treachery". However, Doru refused and had him placed into protective custody of the Taurian Guards' 2nd Battalion. Soon after, Doru announced that Thomas was unsuited for Protectorship of the Concordat. He then reported what he had done to the Calderon family, which in short convinced Thomas's 29 year old son Jeffery to take on the office of Protectorship. A year after his removal, Thomas died in his bed.
Thomas had five children with his wife Katherine Calderon; Edward Calderon, Janice Calderon, Ian Calderon, Felix Calderon, and Jeffrey Calderon.
Thomas was born in 2984; he was 44 in 3028 so 3028-44=2984. He was Protector in 3017, thus by subtraction 3028-3017=11; 44-11=33. Thomas was 33 years old when he became Protector. Thomas is stated to be Zarantha Calderon 's eldest son in The Periphery (sourcebook), implying other siblings, but no other sources list any such siblings particularly no mention of siblings in Handbook: Major Periphery States after Jeffrey Calderon 's death.
Title and Position
|Protector of the Taurian Concordat
| Succeeded by|
- The Periphery (sourcebook), p.84
- The Periphery (1996), p. 14 Final Straw - Thomas Calderon dies in his bed.
- The Periphery (1988), p. 84 Thomas Calderon - Physical description as of 3028.
- 20 Year Update, p. 75 - Thomas' mind begins to deteriorate after the death of his oldest son, Edward.
- The Periphery (1988), p. 84 Thomas Calderon - Eye injury and cyber replacement noted and its background.
- The Periphery (1988), p. 84 Thomas Calderon - Early profile up 3028 and only profile of Thomas Calderon.
- Handbook: Major Periphery States, p. 46 Politics of Fear - Taurian Concordat - Thomas, frightened by Hanse Davion's invasion of House Liao, redirected funding from colonization to a military build up.
- The Periphery (1996, p. 12 Trouble Brewing - Thomas Calderon's reaction to his son's death.
- Major Periphery States, pp. 46-47 Politics of Fear - Thomas' efforts to develop SLDF armor run into Colonization scandal of embezzlement.
- Major Periphery States, pp. 47 Years of Misfortune - Thomas's children would mostly drop out consideration from being suitable heir to the Concordat.
- 20 Year Update p. 75 Taurian Concordat - Thomas' activities briefly covered in update up to 3050.
- Handbook: Major Periphery States p. 58 Laying the Foundation - Thomas' son begins working against him without his knowing.
- The Periphery (1996), p. 14 Final Straw - Events leading to Thomas's removal as Protectorship and his demise.