Light Active Probe
- Your BattleTech News Roundup For March, 2021
- MechWarrior 5 Is On Steam & Catalyst Is Having A Sourcebook Sale
- Your BattleTech News Roundup For February, 2021
- Your BattleTech News Roundup For January, 2021
- Community Outreach - The Art Of BattleTech, Renegade HPG, And The Remastered BattleTech Cartoon
- Read more →
|Active Probe (Light)|
|Year Availability||Clan = 2900|
|Year Introduced||Clan = 2900 CSJ|
The Light Active Probe is a smaller and lighter, but shorter ranged version of the standard Active Probe.
With the Clans advent of battle armor, the nature of warfare was forever changed, introducing a whole host of new tactics. While primarily developed with offensive goals in mind, it was realized that battle armor squads would also prove an invaluable scouting aid, and the Scientist Caste charged with creating smaller version of the BattleMech's Active Probe system for the suits, with the task achieved by Clan Mongoose in the 2900's.
When the Inner Sphere scrambled to field their own battle armor designs during the Clan Invasion, the development of their Light Active Probe was relatively trouble free compared to developing the suits themselves, with the version created by the famed NAIS in 3050 featuring an effective range of 120 meters, compared to the 150 meters of the Clan models.
While the Inner Sphere was cracking the battle armor version, the various Clan were looking towards modifying the technology for use on ProtoMechs and surprisingly, Combat Vehicles and 'Mechs as well. Though "boasting" an effective range of 90 meters, shorter than even the standard Beagle Active Probe available in the Inner Sphere, this reduction was considered an effective trade off for the halving of the standard active probe's weight to free up space for other weapons and equipment.
The Light Active Probe is manufactured on the following planets:
|"Squealer"||Irece||Irece Alpha||???|||
- TechManual, p. 343, "Clan Heavy Weapons And Equipment Table"
- TechManual, p. 318, "Clan Weapons And Equipment BV Table"
- BattleTech Master Rules, p. 64, "Infantry - Battle Armor"
- BattleTech Master Rules, p. 122, "Active Probe"
- TechManual, p. 204, "Light Active Probe"
- TechManual, p. 252, "Active Probe, Light"