|'Mech type||Inner Sphere BattleMech|
|Engine||XL Fusion Engine|
|Targeting Tracking System||Unknown|
4x Gauss rifles
Developed for the Emperor Stefan Amaris's occupying army, the Rifleman III was an experimental prototype which was rushed into service to defend against the invading Star League Defense Force Army led by General Aleksandr Kerensky in 2777. Only a single prototype was produced after years of development, and it was destroyed during the battle for Terra. Used in the role of an ambusher before being destroyed, the 'Mech's BattleROM would recount that it had downed nine SLDF BattleMechs before it was rendered inoperable by battle damage.
The design's existence was forgotten outside of a few rumors until 3146, when the prototype's wreckage was discovered entombed in a former battle site by Republic of the Sphere archaeologists. Up to this time, no one outside of Terra had been aware of the Rifleman III's existence.
Weapons and Equipment
The heaviest Rifleman design produced, the 'Mech was also among the slowest. Powered by a 180-Rated Extra-Light Fusion Engine, the Rifleman III had speed equal to an UrbanMech. Unlike that light 'Mech, the Rifleman was better armored, with 10.5 tons of standard armor. For its role to ambush enemy units, the 'Mech was fitted with an experimental Null Signature System which made it difficult to see on sensors.
The Rifleman's only weaponry was its four Gauss rifles, which were mounted in each arm and each of its side torsos. The Gauss rifles were fed by only two tons of ammunition, giving it just four full volleys of fire before running dry and being rendered defenseless.
The Rifleman III has the following Design Quirks:
- As of this writing, the record sheet for this 'Mech can only be found in XTRO: Gunslingers.
- The Alpha Strike Data Card for the Rifleman III notes the 'Mech is used in the brawler role, and has a Point Value of 39.
- Experimental Technical Readout: Gunslingers, pp. 8, 21: Rifleman III - BV2
- MUL Profile of Rifleman III - BV2 listed.
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 2, p. 68: Homecoming Jan-June 2777 - Kerensky and SLDF begin their landings on Terra
- MUL Profile for Rifleman III, including BV2, Introduction year, and Alpha Strike Data Card.
- Experimental Technical Readout: Gunslingers, pp. 1, 8: Rifleman III - Background information and date of the report noting recovery of prototype's wreckage
- Experimental Technical Readout: Gunslingers, pp. 8, 21: Rifleman III - Weapons and other related construction info