I am Deadfire, also known as DeadfirePrime. You can sometimes find me streaming on Twitch answering lore questions when I am playing games, tweeting funny BT related things on Twitter or hanging about in Discord by using the user Deadfire#9356. I founded the competitive Mechwarrior Online unit the 228th IBR, however I'm been a fan of Battletech since 1992, however it wasn't till I got my first sourcebook when I was turned into a lore fanatic and I read it so many times I could recite entire passages from it. (Funny enough it was Field Manual: ComStar)
My Role on Sarna
As the Senior Editor for Templates and Automation I have the following responsibilities:
- Design, develop, create and modify Sarna's mediawiki templates (and modules) using wiki markup, HTML5, CSS3 and LUA.
- Work with Sarna Admins and other Senior editors to understand template needs and the data that is needed to be shown/recorded.
- Adding infobox template field information to our Semantic/Automation suite (as needed).
- Create, manage, and work with Concepts (A concept is a page in the Concept: namespace that is always described by a semantic query. These pages can be viewed as "dynamic categories", (or as collections of pages) that are not created manually, but that are computed by our Semantic/Automation suite from the description given by a query.)
- Importing existing templates and modules from other MediaWiki sites and adapt them for Sarna's use.
- Create, Manage, and work with Portals (Portals serve as enhanced "main pages" for specific broad subjects).
- Assist the Sarna Admins with category functions of Sarna (related to Sarna's "Soft-divide".)
- Work with the following Mediawiki extensions:
- Extension:TemplateStyles (an extension that allows to specify that a stylesheet should be loaded from a wiki page, allowing the template to have custom styles without having to modify the site's main CSS file).
- Extension:TemplateData (an extension that provides the information about templates).
- Extension:TemplateWizard (an extension that adds a popup dialog box for adding template code to wikitext).
- Extension:WikiEditor (an extension that provides the editing toolbar).
- Extension:Semantic MediaWiki & it's sub-extensions (an extension that lets you store and query data within the wiki's pages).
- Extension: Page Forms (an extension allows you to have forms for creating and editing pages on your wiki, as well as for querying data, all without any programming).
- Extension:Lingo (a glossary extension. It lets you define a list of abbreviations and their definitions on a page and then displays these definitions whenever an abbreviation is hovered over in an article).
- Extension:AbuseFilter (an extension that allows privileged users to set specific actions to be taken when actions by users, such as edits, match certain criteria).
To sum, my responsibilities are Identifying the needs of templates, creating templates, automate templates and other site functions for Sarna Users (as much as possible), and attempt to thoroughly document their use.
Interesting helpful things
- Wikipedia export tool (aka how to get the templates they use on their Wikimedia)
- Special:Import - Admin Only page on this wiki where you can import those pages (and templates) you exported from other mediawiki sites using their export page (like the one I linked above)
- For advanced Templates you need to do this which again needs admin.
- Magic words are strings of text that MediaWiki associates with a return value or function, such as time, site details, or page names.
Projects I work on
Things I work on
Sarna's Portal and soft-divide
Special Pages to Check and Fix