- If you need help or attention to a problem, please leave a note to all Admins on the Administrator talk page or for me on my talk page, and you'll get a response as soon as we can. You can also talk to us on our Discord Community.
2015-08-28: Been quiet here because work has been kicking my butt.
2019-02-21: Work has still been killing me, and I've been helping my family with a health issue.
2020-11-03: I'm back baby!
2021-07-01: 16,000 edits. Wow. Never thought I'd get this far.
You know, after doing this for several years and listening to the criticisms leveled at Sarna (some deserved, some not), I have a whole new appreciation for what the CGL writers go through.
Introduced to BT in junior high school. I don't play very often anymore, but I do still read all the sourcebooks and keep up with what's going on in the universe. Started August 19, 2009. July 28, 2011- Just found that several of my rank insignia images are being used as avatar images on the CBT.com forums. Sweet!
The Admins: BattleTechWiki:Administrators
How do I... answers: Help:Contents
- 1 What I'm Working On
- 2 Grammar & Punctuation stuff I always forget
- 3 Integrate this info into the Sarna Style Guide
- 4 Shortcuts, a.k.a. "The I Love Me Section"
- 5 Awards Board
- 6 Updates Needed Lister Program
- 7 MWDA Dossier Project
- 8 Military Rank Insignia Project
- 9 Cheat Sheet for Adding References to articles
- 10 Skinning
- 11 Image search
- 12 Under Construction category?
- 13 Miniatures Rules
- 14 Test Pages
What I'm Working On
Add info to entries in Category:Sources needing updates (Trying to get this to zero).OK. I officially surrender. I was the only one working on this, and I just can't keep doing it.2020-11-04: I'm going to narrow my focus to tech related items like 'Mechs, vehicles, weapons, equipment, etc. When I have those under control I'll start working on units.
- Redlinks for units in TROs and sourcebooks.
- Update bibliography process to show:
- that we use alphabetical order, excluding articles at the beginning (a, an, the)
- that named links that hide the source book (if included in link) isn't appropriate. See Succession Wars source books for examples:
- ''[[First Succession War (Source Book)|First Succession War]]''
- ''[[Second Succession War (Sourcebook)| Second Succession War]]''
Grammar & Punctuation stuff I always forget
- Policy:Manual of Style BTW's Manual of Style
- Apostrophe Reference: http://theoatmeal.com/comics/apostrophe
- Semicolon Reference: http://theoatmeal.com/comics/semicolon
- 10 frequently misspelled words: http://theoatmeal.com/comics/misspelling
- When to use i.e. in a sentence http://theoatmeal.com/comics/ie
Integrate this info into the Sarna Style Guide
Numbers in BattleTech (From Herb's Facebook)
BattleTech writers: How many times do we need to cover this, really? Outside of unit TO&E listings, game rules, model numbers, and dates, we do NOT use the numerical form of numbers under 100. We also do not capitalize "century" or give centuries in the form of numbers. So, the following are examples of "WRONG!" in the BattleTech style guide I know I gave you all several times over:
- "The 20th Century..."
- "The late Twenty-fourth Century..."
- "We see 50 stars in this region..."
- "The 11th Mechanized Infantry is stationed on..."
The following is how you should have written the above before I clubbed your lazy, style-abusing ass to death:
- "The twentieth century..."
- "The late twenty-fourth century..."
- "We see fifty stars in this region..."
- "The Eleventh Mechanized Infantry is stationed on..."
Shortcuts, a.k.a. "The I Love Me Section"
Stuff I've contributed: Special:Contributions/Mbear
I wrote the Operation Guerrero page, and I'm proud of it.
Updates Needed Lister Program
User:Mbear/UpdatesNeededProgram This is a Python program to create an HTML page with updates needed to use as a checklist. (It helps my motivation to have a physical list I can cross things off of.)
MWDA Dossier Project
Military Rank Insignia Project
Cheat Sheet for Adding References to articles
Enter text as normal. To get the superscripted reference number, put <ref>''Source Name'', p. NN, "Section Title"</ref>
For example: <ref name="OTP:HCp21">''Operational Turning Points: Hanseatic Crusade'', p. 21 "The Escorpión Imperio: Combatants"</ref>
Use of the NAME attribute allows use of the same reference later: <ref name="OTP:HCp21"/>
Now, for the page to know it needs to put together the reference list, need to add an H2 and special tag, like this:
For links to forum postings <ref name="ATW_new_bloodnames_CGS">''[https://bg.battletech.com/forums/ask-the-writers/new-bloodnames-by-clan-goliath-scorpion CGL Forums: Ask the Writers, "New bloodnames by Clan Goliath Scorpion"]</ref>
Document code changes to main page, awards board, game rules section. Create alternate skins w/house colors.
- Create mobile friendly versions of themes.
Find or create a way to search images (and uploaded files) more effectively.
Under Construction category?
Is there a way to list all pages with the underconstruction tag on them?