3rd Hussars (Free Rasalhague Republic)
- Community Outreach - Interview With Brent Evans, Lead BattleTech Developer At Catalyst Games
- The Challenge With Balance in MechWarrior Online
- First BattleTech of 2018: Republic vs Free Worlds League
- MWO Benefit Tournament For MechWarrior Family That Lost Home Due To Fire
- Community Outreach - TwinkyOverlord of EmpyreaL, Current MWO Champs!
- Read more →
- This article is about the Free Rasalhague Republic regiment. For the Rasalhague Dominion Cluster of the same name, see 3rd Hussars (Rasalhague Dominion).
|Unit Profile (as of 3072)|
Clan Invasion Era
Along with the Fourth Kavalleri, the Hussars were one of two KungsArmé units not to see action during the Clan Invasion. As such, they preserved their existence, but failed to gain experience against the infamous Clan invaders. This also left the Hussars with a certain stigma compared to the other surviving Rasalhague commands.
Later Years Prior to the Jihad
The Hussars kept their post on Grumium, a world which gained greater importance when ComStar financed the expansion of Grumium Creations. The Överbefälhavare re-equipped the Husssars with more advanced heavy and assault 'Mechs, including state-of-the-art Vikings from Grumium Creations. Some of these Viking 'Mechs were a special variant, stripping out the Long-range missile launchers and replacing them with a more diverse weapons array, resulting in the VKG-2G model. By 3062, this had dramatically raised the morale of the Third Hussars, and led them to believe they were ready to face the Clans, an option the Rasalhague government was unwilling to give them. In addition to two battalions and a KungsArmé Aerospace Fighter Wing, the Hussars boasted a full-regiment of veteran Mechanized Infantry, well trained in anti-'Mech tactics. Eventually, two battalions of armored vehicles were raised from the local population on Grumium into the First Grumium Armored Militia. The troops were highly inexperienced despite the quality of their equipment.
As the Hussars continued to defend Grumium, Olsen decided to expand his two existing 'Mech battalions rather than add a third. He did this by reinforcing each company's fire lance with two extra Viking 'Mechs, equipping them to use Semi-Guided LRMs, and arranging for select lances to carry Target Acquisition Gear to act as spotters. He also began expanding the attached Aerospace Wing with Huscarl OmniFighters. By 1 October, 3067, the fighter wing was at 185 percent of their previous size, while the Hussars' 'Mechs were at 80 percent upgraded with Star League level technology.
Absorption by Clan Ghost Bear
In 3072, Clan Ghost Bear and the KungsArmé, under the guidance of General Margrethe Minuit and Elected Prince and saKhan Ragnar Magnusson, would dismantle the regiment along with other KungsArmé units. The Regiment would be remade into a Clan second-line Cluster, the Third Hussars Cluster as part of Tundra Galaxy.
As of 3050, Överste Hjalmer Olsen commanded the Third Hussars. Olsen remained in command through 3054. and by 3062. By this point, the stigma of not having engaged the Clans was beginning to push Olsen to alcoholism. and his future position as commander was in question.
As of the late Clan Invasion era, the Third Hussars had not developed a combat specialization.
3rd Hussars (BattleMech Regiment/Veteran/Fanatical)
- CO: Överste Hjalmer Olsen
3rd Hussars (Two BattleMech Battalions/Veteran/Fanatical)
- CO: Överste Hjalmer Olsen
- 1st Battalion - CO: Överste Hjalmer Olsen
- 2nd Battalion - CO/XO: Överste-Löjtnant Argos Belle
- CO: Överste-Lojtnant Jordan Galkin
- CO: Överste-Lojtnant Paul Crabbe
3rd Grumium Mechanized Infantry (Infantry Regiment/Veteran/Fanatical)
- CO: Överste Diane Garncarz
In the late Clan Invasion era, the heavier equipment used by the Third Hussars results in the following bonuses : Add +1 to all rolls on the Random Weight-Class Tables, and add +1 to all rolls on the Lance 'Mech/Weight Composition Table.
- According to the More Tales of the Black Widow scenario pack, the Third Hussars fought alongside the 3rd Drakøns against Clan Wolf on Satalice from November 3051 to January 3052. More recent sources clearly state that the Third Drakøns were the only KungsArmé unit on-planet, supplemented by local militia, and explicitly state that the Third Hussars did not see action during the Clan Invasion.
- Many earlier sources, in an apparent repeated typo, spell the Hussars' name as "Husars" with respect to the Third and the other Hussar KungsArmé commands. More recent works consistently refer to them as "Hussars".
- Like all other KungsArmé regiments save the 1st Tyr, the Third used the KungsArmé's standard light blue paint scheme, highlighted by grays and reds when on parade, adopting appropriate camouflage as required. 
- The insignia of the Third Hussars was an eye with eight lightning bolts radiating from it.
- It is unclear why the Hussars were reduced to two battalions after the Clan Invasion.
- 20 Year Update, p. 48, "Composition", the composition of the Hussars regiments
- 20 Year Update, p. 51, "Rasalhague KungsArmé", Deployment Table reveals Third Husars information as of 3050
- Field Manual: ComStar, p. 71, "3rd Hussars: Untested Veterans", the Third Hussars have never faced the Clans as of 3062
- Objective Raids, p. 44, "Rasalhague KungsArmé", Deployment Table reveals Third Husars information as of 3054
- Field Manual: ComStar, p. 71, "3rd Hussars: Untested Veterans", the Third Hussars re-equip with Vikings and other heavy units
- Technical Readout: 3060, p. 124, "Deployment", "Variants", the first major variant of the Viking is popular with the Third Hussars
- Field Manual: ComStar, p. 71, "3rd Grumium Mechanized Infantry", the Third Grumium Mechanized Infantry
- Field Manual: ComStar, p. 71, "1st Grumium Armored Militia", the First Grumium Armored Militia is formed
- Field Manual: Updates, p. 92, "Third Hussars", the Third Hussars continue to expand
- Field Manual: Updates, pp. 99-100, "KungsArmé", the Third Hussars deployment as of 3067
- Masters and Minions: The StarCorps Dossiers, p. 113, "The KungsArmé", the KungsArmé units are rebuilt into Clan Clusters
- Jihad Hot Spots: 3076, p. 105, "KungsArmé / Tundra Galaxy" - Newly reformed 3rd Hussars on roster of KungsArmé Tundra Galaxy as a Cluster
- Field Manual: ComStar, p. 71, "Officers", the status of the Third Hussars' leadership
- Field Manual: ComStar, p. 71, "Tactics", the Third Hussars lack of specialty
- Field Manual: ComStar, p. 71, "3rd Hussars", the Third Hussars composition as of 3062
- Field Manual: ComStar, p. 71, "3rd Hussars Aerospace", the Third Hussars Aerospace Wing
- Field Manual: ComStar, p. 142, "Free Rasalhague Republic: 3rd Hussars", the Third Hussars' special rules
- More Tales of the Black Widow, p. 28, "Assault on Satalice", the Third Hussars defend Satalice alongside the Drakøn
- More Tales of the Black Widow, p. 30, "Report to the Coordinator", the Third Hussars oppose the Wolves on Satalice
- More Tales of the Black Widow, pp. 32-33, "Attacker", the attacker is a company from the Third Hussars
- More Tales of the Black Widow, p. 33, "Knight's Oath", the Hussars fight the Wolves at Hammareslatt plains
- More Tales of the Black Widow, p. 37, "City Streets", the Third Hussars fight the Wolves at Rodbondgard
- More Tales of the Black Widow, p. 40, "Graving Yard", the survivors of the Third Hussars
- Field Manual: ComStar, p. 67, "Color Schemes", the uniform KungsArmé paint scheme
- Field Manual: ComStar, p. 71, "3rd Hussars: Untested Veterans", the insignia of the Third Hussars