- Devlin Stone's Origins Revealed
- BattleTech Is Coming In April!
- Blaine Lee Pardoe Provides Fascinating Look At “Twilight Of The Clans” Origins
- Year of Battle Armor: Unit 1 - Corona Heavy Battle Armor
- Community Outreach - Interview With Brent Evans, Lead BattleTech Developer At Catalyst Games
- Read more →
|Production Year||Introduction Year::3059|
|Chassis||GC Type 1 Endo Steel|
|Communications System||GC Wave 12B|
|Targeting Tracking System||GC MultiTrac System Type 6|
|Heat Sinks||10 Double Heat Sinks|
The Viking began production shortly after the Beowulf in a joint effort by the Free Rasalhague Republic and ComStar. The 'Mech is intended to take over in the role that has been traditionally filled by the Bombardier. The Viking is built on a GC Type 1 Endo Steel chassis and powered by a GM 270 fusion engine, giving the 'Mech a top speed of 54.0 km/h. The Viking is protected by fifteen and a half tons of GC Slab armor with CASE, providing the 'Mech with good armor protection as well as protection against ammunition explosions. To dissipate heat from the Viking's impressive arsenal, the 'Mech has ten double heat sinks. The Viking has proven itself a powerful assault and fire support 'Mech capable of putting out almost twice as much firepower as the 'Mech it replaces.
Weapons and Equipment
The Viking has a singular mission of long-range missile fire support. To do this, the Viking carries two Shigunga LRM-15 launchers and two Shigunga LRM-20 launchers, all of which are linked to an Artemis IV fire control system for increased missile accuracy. For close combat, the Viking has two torso mounted ChisComp 32 Small Lasers and four Sperry Browning Machine Guns for anti-infantry combat.
- Intended to act as a front line assault 'Mech, the 2G variant of the Viking has all of the weapons stripped out and two more double heat sinks have been added in addition to two more tons of armor. The 2G carries as its primary weapons an LB-X Autocannon/10 which is capable of firing both standard and cluster rounds as well as a Gauss Rifle, giving the 2G a powerful long range punch. For medium to close range combat, the 2G has a Large Pulse Laser and three Medium Pulse Lasers. To protect itself from advanced enemy electronic warfare systems, the 2G has a Guardian ECM Suite. BV (1.0) = 1,878, BV (2.0) = 2,152
- This is a artillery version of the Viking produced during the Jihad. This variant has an Advance Tech Arrow IV Launcher mounted on its right arm actuator. The Viking's LRM launchers are replaced by a pair of 7-Tubed Multi-Missile Launchers guided by Artemis IV Firecontrol for each launcher. The launchers are supplied by 3 tons of ammunition while the larger Arrow launcher has 2 tons. CASE is used to protect both ammunition bins from destroying the 'Mech. As far as secondary weaponry goes, the 'Mech has a pair of Medium Pulse Lasers and single Small Pulse Laser in the torsos. The Fusion Engine is replaced with a Compact Fusion Engine to help protect the 'Mech from stray shots to its center torso. The 'Mech is equipped with 11 Double Heatsinks. BV (2.0) = 1,876
- The 3W is a Word of Blake variant that was reconfigured at the refitted factories on Hall. It strips the weapons and replaces them with four Krupp MML-9s that allow the Viking access to both SRM and LRM munitions and with seven tons of ammunition, it is almost guaranteed to have both. The close-support weapons were replaced with a pair of Skobel "Little 20" Light AC/2s and a pair of Hovertec Streak SRM-2s that seem ancient by comparison. This variant is protected by seventeen tons of armor, but the Blakist refit does not add any heat sinks. Of course, all the weapons are aided by the inclusion of a C3i Computer. BV (2.0) = 1,778
- A Word of Blake Viking fought against a Clan Nova Cat Nova Cat on 21 August 3072, in the Nagasaki community zone of the Crane district on Luthien.
- MUL online date for the Viking
- Combat Operations, p. 129
- Record Sheets: 3060, p. 225
- Record Sheets: 3060 Unabridged, p. 181
- Technical Readout: 3060, p. 124, "Viking 'Mech Profile"
- Record Sheets: 3060, p. 226
- Record Sheets: 3060 Unabridged, p. 182
- Record Sheets: 3060 Unabridged, p. 183 - New Jihad variant included in the PDF only unabridged version of RS3060.
- Record Sheets: 3060 Unabridged, p. 184
- Jihad Turning Points: Luthien, p. 1, "Manifest Destiny"