4th Benjamin Regulars
|4th Benjamin Regulars BattleMech Regiment|
|Unit Profile (as of 2583)|
|Parent Formation||Benjamin Regulars|
The 4th Benjamin were active during the Reunification War, acting as one of several DCMS BattleMech regiments assigned to an ad-hoc corps in support of the Star League Defense Force task force responsible for invading the Outworlds Alliance. This invasion, named Operation UNION HOLD, saw the 4th Benjamin tasked with the conquest of the Alliance world of Budingen.
The invasion of Budingen began in mid-2582; the 4th Benjamin had arrived in theatre later than the other DCMS forces assigned to the task force, as a result of equipment malfunction and transport delays. When the 4th Benjamin landed, Tai-sa Elliot Keita discovered that the 2nd Pitcairn Legion were already on Budingen, and as the 4th Benjamin attempted to conduct spoiling attacks against the Legion, the Legion used the cover of the heavy autumn storms common to Budingen to fade out of contact.
Determined to conquer Budingen, Keita ordered the 4th Benjamin to attack the civilian populace, leading to the settlements of Brenda, Montezuma and Saratoga being raised, displacing hundreds of refugees. This drew a third of the Legion forces out and into combat with the 4th Benjamin in the area known as Ruby Valley, but the Legion forces managed to keep the bulk of the 4th Benjamin pinned in the Ruby Valley while two regiments of Legion 'Mechs reinforced with armor and infantry attacked the 4th Benjamin base camp. The 4th Benjamin and the Legion forces wreaked havoc on each other, but the 4th Benjamin couldn't prevent their base camp being reduced to a shambles; Keita responded to this latest setback by leading the 4th Benjamin into the heart of the planetary capital of New Jordan and ejecting hundreds more Alliance citizens from their homes and businesses to create an enclave just for the Combine forces. This left the Legion troops frantically constructing shelter for the thousands of Alliance refugees as winter approached before the rapidly approaching winter forced the Legion to retreat from Budingen.
Keita took advantage of an early thaw in the fierce winter to break the resistance of the local population by burning villages, cities and herds of cattle, killing hundreds of people and removing any will to resist. When the 2nd Pitcairn Legion returned to Budingen in early 2583 they were unable to remove the entrenched 4th Benjamin forces, but made retaliatory strikes against the 4th Benjamin HQ and the new base outside New Jordan; despite the damage inflicted, Budingen remained firmly under the control of the 4th Benjamin, who garrisoned the world until the end of the war.
- The 4th Benjamin Regulars receive a +1 bonus to all morale checks.
- If a 4th Benjamin Regulars force is outnumbered by 2-to-1 or greater at any point, the 4th Benjamin forces receive a +1 Initiative bonus.
- The 4th Benjamin Regulars receive a -2 penalty to any roll made to determine the availability of advanced components, replacement equipment or supplies.
- Historical: Reunification War, p. 141, "Outworlds Alliance Front"
- Historical: Reunification War, p. 36, "Fourth Benjamin Regulars"
- Historical: Reunification War, p. 120-121, "Budingen"
- Historical: Reunification War, p. 121-122, "...And Military"
- Field Report 2765: DCMS,p10
- Historical: Reunification War, p. 182, "Benjamin Regulars"