- The Challenge With Balance in MechWarrior Online
- First BattleTech of 2018: Republic vs Free Worlds League
- MWO Benefit Tournament For MechWarrior Family That Lost Home Due To Fire
- Community Outreach - TwinkyOverlord of EmpyreaL, Current MWO Champs!
- Animated MechWarrior Series Cancelled After Being Hit With Cease and Desist
- Read more →
|Manufacturer||Coventry Metal Works|
|Production Year||Introduction Year::2573|
|Mech type||Inner Sphere BattleMech|
|Chassis||Coventry AL Endo Steel|
|Armor||Coventry Industries Ferro-Fibrous|
|Engine||Core Tek 275|
|Communications System||Field Ranger Wanderer|
|Targeting Tracking System||Martial Ranger Series 6|
|Jump Jets||Luxor Load Lifters|
The Álfar, named for the elves of Germanic legend, was developed on Coventry during the reign of Archon Tracial Steiner to improve the Lyran Commonwealth Armed Forces performance in mobile BattleMech warfare, and to provide a home-grown competitor to widespread standard designs like the Griffin and Shadow Hawk. It entered service in 2573 and served almost exclusively in the LCAF. Its first and only major combat action was during Operation Mailed Fist with the Tamar Tigers and the few dozen Alfars deployed by the Star League Defense Force. Thanks to its good speed, a jumping distance of 90 meters, 10 tons of then-cutting-edge Ferro-Fibrous armor, and some serious firepower, the design was popular with its pilots. It was, however, liked much less by the technical crews.
Ironically, Coventry Metal Works' desire to outdo their competition proved the Alfar's downfall. The design used so many non-standard parts that repairs and logistics quickly became a big problem. Of all the Star League Defense Force Alfars lost in the war, a full third were scrapped solely because repairing them was deemed too difficult. The design was given more respect in the LCAF but with the Star League pushing for standardization and given the relative peace of the following century, the high-maintenance Alfars were gradually replaced with those same designs it had been trying to best. The last two remaining, privately-owned 'Mechs are believed to have been destroyed in the First Succession War.
Weapons and Equipment
The Alfar fielded an impressive amount of firepower for its size. A Magna Hellstar PPC mounted on its right arm was the main weapon. Three Magna Mark II Medium Lasers, two on the left arm and one in the head, plus a Shannon Six-Shooter missile rack with 1 ton of ammo, all in the left shoulder, provided ample backup and close-range punch. Fifteen heat sinks provided good battlefield endurance.
- Historical: Reunification War, pp. 209-210, "AL-A1 Alfar"
- Era Digest: Age of War, p. 11, "BattleMech Tech Timeline"
- MUL online entry for the Alfar
- MUL online entry for AL-D1 Dökkálfar variant
- BattleMech Manual, p. 90 Battlemech Quirk Table - Alfar Entry.