- Catalyst Releases New Map Pack, New Fiction From Michael Stackpole In March Update
- Did You Know? - Retro BattleTech Games - MechWarrior 2: The Clans
- Catalyst Games Releases Succession Wars Record Sheets And Reprinted BattleTech Manual To Get Everyone Up To Date
- Did You Know? - Retro BattleTech Games - MechWarrior
- Forever Faithful, Blaine Lee Pardoe’s Latest BattleTech Novel, Now Available For Pre-Order
- Read more →
|Unit Profile (as of 3071)|
|CO||Major Lou Lingg|
|DropShips||No (see text)|
The Black Cats were an all-infantry mercenary unit, specialized in security and urban warfare. Although competent, they became known for a good public relations group and often exaggerated vid-commercials showing them taking down BattleMechs.
At one point they managed to defend the city of Lawrence against an attack by a BattleMech company that posed as the Black Widow Company, and took down at least two 'Mechs (one of them apparently a Trebuchet); the exact timeframe of the action remains unspecified.
Following an ambush gone bad and an employer defrauding the unit, the five survivors including then-Corporal Hill put the unit on ice in 3048, but reinstated the unit at battalion strength in early 3050.
|Commanding Officers of the Black Cats|
Known unit members include
- William "Big Bill" Flynn
- Lou Lingg
- Elizabeth "Boots" Hill
- The exact time and place of the defense of Lawrence are indeterminate as no dates or epigraphs are provided. The story may initially have been meant to be set sometimes in the late Succession Wars era, i.e. around 3025; it has to be set after 3015 as the Black Widow Company, which has apparently already racked up quite a reputation by the time the story is set in, was created in that year.
However, "Boots" Hill was a corporal in 3048 while she is a sergeant in the story, suggesting it takes place in 3050 or later but before 3071 when then-Major Lou Lingg has ascened to the position of unit commander.
- Mercenaries Supplemental Update, p. 32