- BattleTech Technology - Today!
- Someone did the math on how many 'Mechs you kill in MechWarrior 3
- A chat with MechWarrior Online Champs: Empyreal's prtNspz - Full Interview
- Unstoppable: A chat with MechWarrior Online Champs, Empyreal's prtNspz
- Meet the competitive leagues of MechWarrior Online
- Read more →
|Manufacturer||Corean Enterprises, Kali Yama Weapons Industries, Irian BattleMechs Unlimited|
|Chassis||Corean Model 9C|
|Communications System||Corean Transband-J9|
|Targeting Tracking System||Corean B-Tech|
The Trebuchet (also jovially referred to as the Trenchbucket) is a mainline medium weight BattleMech considered to be a fine blend of long- and short-range fire support for a unit of its size. Unlike many other pre-Clan 'Mechs the Trebuchet was designed from the beginning to work as part of a lance instead of functioning as a standalone model. The TBT-5N features respectable firepower, ten heat sinks, seven and a half tons of armor and a top speed of 86.4 km/h for good mobility. The main drawback of the design is its endurance: since it was never meant to operate far from supply lines the Trebuchet has a limited amount of munitions for its missile launchers and once these ammunition bins have run dry the 'Mech must defend itself with only its laser weapons. As well the Trebuchet is outgunned compared to other 'Mechs when fighting independently at close range.
The Trebuchet first walked off assembly lines in 2780 for the SLDF in the final years of the Star League, between the liberation of Terra from Stefan Amaris and Aleksandr Kerensky's departure. With the onset of the Succession Wars the Trebuchet would become an almost exclusive staple of the Free Worlds League since its manufacturing site on Stewart fell within their territory. However the original TBT-3C models proved to be too difficult to repair and produce with the disappearance of advanced technology, and in 2799 Corean Enterprises went back to the drawing board to create the TBT-5N using older, mass-producible technology.
The Free Worlds League Military often partnered the Trebuchet with the Archer, while lances consisting of an Archer, two Trebuchets and a Centurion became a common configuration used for siege operations and by the Regulan Hussars. However the design also found its way into the hands of the other Great Houses and served with distinction during the Succession Wars in nearly every major operation, with a number of variants created to fulfill various needs. The technological renaissance which swept through the Inner Sphere during the 3030s allowed first Kali Yama and then the Irian corporations to begin producing the Trebuchet as well, culminating in upgraded designs debuting several years prior to the Clan Invasion. As late as 3071 advanced Trebuchet variants would continue to be produced and found themselves used by new actors on the galactic stage, most notoriously the Word of Blake.
Weapons and Equipment
The primary weapons on the Trebuchet are a pair of Zeus LRM-15 launchers in its right torso and left arm. One ton of ammo per launcher allows it to "soften up" an opponent, though not truly cripple them, at ranges where they cannot return fire. Backing these up for close range work is a trio of Magna Mk II Medium Lasers, two in its right arm and one in its left, which provide the Trebuchet with firepower when the LRM ammunition has been depleted. These also discourages lighter 'Mechs from attempting to intercept it, and the ten heat sinks allows the 'Mech to fire these continuously when traveling at a cruising speed of 54 km/h. The Trebuchet is also proficient as a brawler, though its physical blows lack the same weight as heavier 'Mechs.
- The original Trebuchet as produced for the SLDF, it consisted of two Artemis IV-equipped LRM-15s with CASE, four medium lasers, double heat sinks, an Endo-Steel chassis and a 300-rate Extra Light Fusion Engine. However, the attrition of the First Succession War forced Corean Enterprises into redesigning the 'Mech without advanced technology to keep the production lines running.
- The 5J variant of the Trebuchet is a tradeoff that sacrifices firepower for mobility. One of the two LRM-15 launchers have been removed and replaced with five jump jets, giving the Trebuchet a jumping distance of one hundred and fifty meters. Additionally, the armor has been increased by half a ton and five heat sinks have been added to the design. It was first produced by the Free Worlds League in 2850 for their mobile regiments and used to surprising effect in their debut against the Capellan Confederation's Chesterton Reserves. BV (1.0) = 1,034, BV (2.0) = 1,191
- The 5S variant of the Trebuchet modifies the design from a long-range support 'Mech to a close combat machine. The LRM launchers have been completely replaced with two Thunderstroke SRM-6 launchers and an additional eight heat sinks while retaining the three medium lasers. The Free Worlds League's tremendous success with pairing 5S models with 5Ns in the late 3030s would cause their military planners to consider expanding this concept to other units. BV (1.0) = 841, BV (2.0) = 948
- The 7K Trebuchet is a radical departure from the 5N model, a prototype used by the Draconis Combine to test whether direct-fire support was a viable alternative to indirect-fire support. Its entire weapons loadout was replaced with a PPC and an Autocannon/5 as its primary weapons with an SRM-2 for close fire support. Whether the design proved successful or not was lost in the chaos of the 3030s as the proliferation of new advanced technology caused radical shakeups in the Combine's design bureaus. BV (1.0) = 792 (1,097), BV (2.0) = 996
- Upgraded with Star League technology, the 7M variant is built with on an Endo Steel chassis and uses a 250 Magna XL engine, giving it the same performance but allowing the design to mount ten double heat sinks and five Rawlings 50 jump jets for a jumping distance of one hundred and fifty meters. It also allows for the Zeus LRM-15s' ammo to be protected by CASE and for a Narc Missile Beacon with two tons of ammo, improving not only the Trebuchet's accuracy but allowing it to share targeting information with other similarly-equipped 'Mechs. BV (1.0) = 1,206, BV (2.0) = 1,348
- Kali Yama Weapons Industries began production on this variant in 3071 in an attempt to combine the best features of previous models, using the XL engine from the extinct 3C and jump jets from the 5J. The LRMs are replaced with four MML 5s, two mounted in the left arm and right torso, supplemented by four ER Medium Lasers on the right arm. Thirteen double heat sinks keep the 'Mech relatively cool, though some heat management is required. It uses an Endo Steel chassis. BV (2.0) = 1,314
- The 9K variant of the Trebuchet is a field refit of the 7M with a distinctive Kurita feel to it. Built on an Endo Steel chassis and powered by an XL engine, the 9K replaced the LRMs for two MRM-20 launchers with three tons of ammo total. The medium lasers in the right arm are replaced with two Medium Pulse Lasers while the left arm-mounted medium laser is kept, and a C3 slave unit in the left torso allows it to share targeting telemetry with other units. The jump jets are also kept, giving it a jumping distance of one hundred and fifty meters. BV (1.0) = 1,097 (C3: 128), BV (2.0) = 1,329
- This Trebuchet was introduced in the Dark Age era. It uses an XXL Fusion Engine for power, and an Endo Steel skeleton is protected by Light Ferro-Fibrous armor. The engine allows the 9R to reach speeds of 110km/h, but it also features a Supercharger to allow it to briefly hit 140km/h. It carries two Medium X-Pulse Lasers and three Clan-built LRM-15s allow it to engage an opponent with missile fire at any range. BV (2.0) = 2,165
- This variant of the Trebuchet was created by Vandenberg Mechanized Industries. It uses ten double heat sinks and an XL Engine for power. Several experimental systems have been added. A Chain Whip allows the 'Mech to pin units close to the Trebuchet. To capitalize on this, the traditional weapons have been replaced with a pair of Streak SRM-6 launchers, an ER Medium Laser, ER Flamer, and a Medium Pulse Laser. For additional protection, this Trebuchet carries Modular Armor on the front of each torso and a Small Shield on the left arm. Triple Strength Myomer maximizes the physical damage it can cause, and pins heavy and assault 'Mechs in place with the Chain Whip. BV (2.0) = 1,559
- This variant is a factory refit performed by Kali Yama Weapons Industries based on a custom Trebuchet found in the Periphery. It removes all the standard weaponry, the engine, and the skeleton, replacing them with a Light Engine, Endo Steel skeleton, and a new weapons array. Intended for short range combat, the TBT-K7R carries a pair of ER Medium Lasers, a pair of ER Flamers, a Streak SRM-6, and a Chain Whip. What makes it most deadly however, is the BattleMech Taser in the left arm. With this weapon the Trebuchet can capture an enemy 'Mech. The Trebuchet also carries Triple Strength Myomer, allowing it to pin 'Mechs as heavy as an Atlas. Ten and a half tons of armor and a 150 meter jump range protect the 'Mech. BV (2.0) = 1,408
- The TBT-5K designated has been noted in the past as being designation for what canonically is known as the TBT-7K. The variant originally appeared as the custom-built Trebuchet in the scenario pack, Sorensen's Sabres.
- Centurion - The Centurion was originally designed as an "operating partner" for the Trebuchet, but the attrition of the Succession Wars largely interrupted those plans.
- Bad Reputation
- Easy to Maintain
- Exposed Weapon Linkage (Taser)
- Fast Reload
- Jettison-Capable Weapon (Chain Whip)
- Non-Standard Parts
- Technical Readout: 3025, p. 60
- Technical Readout: 3039, p. 138
- Combat Operations, p. 121
- Record Sheets: 3039, p. 131
- Technical Readout: 3025 Revised, p. 62
- MUL online date
- Technical Readout: 3050 Upgrade, p. 60
- Introductory Record Sheets, p. 14
- Record Sheets: 3039, p. 130
- Record Sheets: 3039, p. 132
- Combat Opeations, p. 125
- Record Sheets: Upgrades, p. 89
- Record Sheets: 3039, p. 133 Mech model noted as 7K, not 5K.
- Record Sheets: 3039 Unabridged, p. 215 - Mech noted as being 7K with BV 2 listed.
- Technical Readout: 3050, p. 114
- Record Sheets: 3050 Upgrade, Inner Sphere, p. 137
- Master Unit List: Battle Values, p. 160
- Record Sheets: 3145 New Tech, New Upgrades, p. 124
- Experimental Technical Readout: Periphery, p. 4
- Technical Readout: Prototypes, p. 115
- Technical Readout: 3025 Revised, p. 54
- Combat Operations
- Experimental Technical Readout: Periphery
- Master Unit List: Battle Values
- Record Sheets: 3025/3026
- Record Sheets: 3039
- Record Sheets: 3050
- Record Sheets: 3050 Upgrade (Inner Sphere)
- Record Sheets: Upgrades
- Record Sheets: 3145 New Tech, New Upgrades
- Technical Readout: 3025
- Technical Readout: 3025 Revised
- Technical Readout: 3039
- Technical Readout: 3050
- Technical Readout: 3050 Revised
- Technical Readout: 3050 Upgrade
- Technical Readout: Prototypes