|Tech Base||Inner Sphere|
|Chassis||Defiance 450 Endo Steel|
|Armor||Lexington Limited High Grade Ferro-Fibrous|
|Communications System||TharHes Calliope 270|
|Targeting Tracking System||TharHes Ares LM|
Based on the Apollo 'Mech that is deployed by the Free Worlds League, the concept of the Cobra was born from observation of the effectiveness of the Apollo by Lyran generals. Originally, the Lyran Alliance contacted Earthwerks Incorporated but were rebuffed and advised that the 'Mech could not be sold to them. After that, the Lyran Alliance commissioned Defiance Industries to build the Cobra. Built as a lightweight fire support 'Mech, the Cobra is built on a Defiance 450 Endo Steel chassis to save weight and is powered by a rugged and reliable VOX 225 fusion engine that gives it a top speed of 86.4 km/h and allows the Cobra to take a great deal of damage before succumbing to enemy fire. Finally, for protection, the Cobra does have a light six and a half tons of Lexington Limited High Grade Ferro-Fibrous armor that is adequate for its intended role. The Cobra has been criticized for its lack of CASE while being very ammunition dependent.
Weapons and Equipment
The Cobra has a basic yet effective arsenal. For long-range fire support and indirect fire support, the Cobra has two Coventry Star Fire LRM-15 missile launchers with enough ammunition to sustain fire for over two minutes. For close range self defense, the Cobra has two Defiance B3M Medium Lasers that can dissuade most lighter 'Mechs from attacking.
- Introduced during the Jihad conflict in the late 31st Century, the -03 variant addresses problems with the original design. The standard Ferro-Fibrous armor has been replaced by Light Ferro-Fibrous, though its protection is slightly less than the original's. Balancing this, the extra room was used for the addition of CASE units to protect from ammunition explosions. To free up weight for further improvements, the engine was exchanged for a Light Fusion Engine. Weapons wise, the standard Medium Lasers were exchanged for Extended Range models, and the LRM launchers were enhanced with an Artemis IV Fire Control System. BV (2.0) = 1,324
- Apollo - When the Lyran Alliance Armed Forces was refused the right to purchase Apollo fire-support BattleMechs by Earthwerks Incorporated of Keystone, they contracted Defiance Industries to construct the Cobra BattleMech based on battlefield observations.
- Technical Readout: 3060, pp. 92-93, "Cobra 'Mech Profile"
- Objectives: Lyran Alliance, p.12
- MUL online date for the Cobra (BattleMech)
- Combat Operations, p. 131
- Record Sheets: 3060, p. 113
- Record Sheets: 3060 Unabridged, p. 132
- Record Sheets: 3060 Unabridged, p. 133