|Manufacturer||Vining Engineering and Salvage Team|
|Chassis||Corean Model 202BLP Endo Steel|
|Armor||StarSlab/Hardened Mk III|
|Communications System||Hartford JEA-1|
|Targeting Tracking System||O/P FiberFeed 201|
|Heat Sinks||14 Double heat sinks|
|Jump Jets||HildCo Model 13|
The Great Turtle was designed as an experiment in MechWarrior safety. With the recovery of the Helm Memory Core, weapons technology had advanced more in the twenty years between the Fourth Succession War and the Clan Invasion than it had in the previous three hundred years. One effect of these advances in weapons was the dramatic reduction of a MechWarrior's lifespan. Many weapons could destroy a 'Mech's head, engine, or gyro with one shot, leaving the MechWarrior dead or wounded.
VEST took the concept of MechWarrior protection to an extreme. The Great Turtle uses a quad chassis to hold the maximum amount of armor possible. The Great Turtle's armor weighs 40 tons, as much as a Clint BattleMech. For more protection the VEST engineers used experimental Hardened Armor that effectively provides twice as much protection as standard armor. This means that the Great Turtle can take staggering amounts of damage without worrying the pilot. Enemies who target the 'Mech's head looking for a clean kill will be disappointed. The Hardened armor can withstand a Gauss Rifle hit, but more importantly, the Great Turtle uses a Torso Mounted Cockpit to provide extra protection for the pilot. Using a standard engine reduces the possibility of an engine explosion, and a Compact Gyro further increases longevity.
Weapons and Equipment
With its focus on defense, the 'Mech is armed with very few weapons for an Assault. The Great Turtle's main armament is its Sutel Precision Line Large Pulse Laser with Bethel Labs X-Pulse, which is backed up by three Sutel Precision Line Medium Pulse Laser with Bethel Labs X-Pulse, all of which are linked to a Targeting Computer.
- This variant is still undergoing tests. It removes the Hardened Armor for a Compact Engine, and a series of armored components that encompasses its engine, gyro, and cockpit. The Large X-Pulse Laser was replaced with an ER PPC with an Capacitor and replaces the Medium X-Pulse Lasers with ER Medium Lasers. It also carries three more Double Heat Sinks than the original model. BV (1.0) = ??, BV (2.0) = 2,164
- MUL online date for the Great Turtle
- Record Sheets: 3055 Upgrades Unabridged, p. 282
- Technical Readout: 3055 Upgrade, pp. 174-175, "Great Turtle 'Mech Profile"
- Record Sheets: 3055 Upgrades Unabridged, p. 283