|Manufacturer||Arc-Royal MechWorks |
|Mech type||Mixed-tech BattleMech|
|Engine||Magna-C 350 XL|
|Communications System||O/P COM-22/ H47 Targeting|
|Targeting Tracking System||Digital Scanlok 347|
|Heat Sinks||10 Double Heat Sinks|
The Mongrel is a mixed-tech Medium Class Clan BattleMech which was originally started as a joint-project between Clan Wolf-in-Exile and the Rasalhague Dominion. Its origin stems from Clan Ghost Bear's need to replace its aging inventory of 'Mechs. To accomplish this, a joint project was started between manufacturers in the Rasalhague Dominion and those in the Lyran Commonwealth that produced 'Mechs for Clan Wolf-in-Exile.
The two Clan manufactures desired for the 'Mech to be both inexpensive and combat effective. When it was first produced in 3092, it was widely considered to be an abomination due to its hodgepodge appearance. The Mongrel's appearance did not stop the 'Mech from being built. Two different models were produced, one for the Clans and the other made for the Mercenary market. The model made for mercenaries became popular among multiple mercenary commands due its effectiveness on the battlefield and its low maintenance cost.
Weapons and Equipment
Designed with a hybrid of Inner Sphere and Clan technologies, the Mongrel's noted speed comes from its Magna-C 350-rated Extra-Light Fusion Engine. The powerful Clan tech engine allowed the swift 'Mech to outpace most machines on the battlefield. Its hull is protected by 10.5 tons of Reactive Armor, giving it additional protection from area-effect weapons, penetrating weapons and missile fire.
The Mongrel's T1 model weaponry includes three Clan Series 2f Extended Range Medium Lasers fitted to its right torso. Backing up the Extended Range lasers is an GM Whirlwind Class 5 Autocannon which was used over the centuries as main gun for the old WVR-6R model Wolverine. The Autocannon is supplied with twenty rounds of ammunition found in its one-ton ammunition bin. Due to Clan construction, the 'Mech is protected from an ammunition hit, should it occur. The Mongrel has a Retractable Blade mounted in its right arm actuator, in case the pilot needs to engage in melee combat.
- Introduced in 3093, this variant is geared towards Clan-oriented commands. This advanced tech version of the Mongrel drops the Autocannon in favor of a Class 8 ProtoMech Autocannon with ten rounds of ammunition. In additional to a larger bore Autocannon, the Mongrel is also fitted with a Guardian ECM Suite and Actuator Enhancement System to give its retractable blade better odds in hitting its intended target. BV(2.0)=1,953
The Mongrel first appeared gamewise as part of Wizkids' MechWarrior Dark Age Collectable Miniatures game as a part of its Domination expansion set. It was later adapted by Catalyst Game Labs and redefined once the company advanced the game's timeline to 3145.
The MGL-T1 Mongrel has the following Design Quirks:
- Technical Readout: 3145 Lyran Commonwealth, pp. 33 & 89 Mongrel - BV2.
- MGL-T1's MUL Profile which includes BV2 & Introduction Year.
- Record Sheets: 3145 Unabridged, p. 303
- Technical Readout: 3145 Lyran Commonwealth, p. 33 Mongrel - Background.
- Technical Readout: 3025, p. 71 Wolverine - Whirlwind AC present on the old & the original Wolverine.
- Technical Readout: 3039, p.290 Wolverine - Whirlwind AC in use with the 6R Wolverine.
- Technical Readout: 3145 Lyran Commonwealth, pp. 34-33 & 89 Mongrel - Stats.
- Technical Readout: 3145 Lyran Commonwealth, pp. 32 & 90 Mongrel - Variant info
- MGL-T2's MUL Profile which includes BV2 & Introduction Year.
- Record Sheets: 3145 Unabridged, p. 304