- Lead Developer Brent Evans Answers Big Questions On The Future Of BattleTech
- Was the Early Portrayal of the Capellan Confederation an Example of Yellow Peril?
- Mechwarrior Online World Championship Semi-Finals Seeding Games
- New Campaign Begins on MegaMekNET
- BATTLETECH Multiplayer Review - A Battle Of Titans
- Read more →
|Manufacturer||Arcadia BattleMech Plant CM-T15|
|Chassis||Process 12 Endo Steel|
|Armor||Arcadia Compound Delta VII Ferro-Fibrous|
|Engine||Consolidated 315 XL|
|Communications System||KP-3 "Screamer"|
|Targeting Tracking System||Version Gamma-V TTS|
|Heat Sinks||10 Double heat sinks|
|Jump Jets||Clan Standard 14X Series Standard|
The Mongrel received its baptism of fire during the Battle of Tukayyid. There, it was commonly seen leading light Stars, especially on deep reconnaissance and raiding missions. Its ammo-efficient weapons allowed it to range far afield and helped simplify resupply. The 'Mech entered full production the following year and was re-christened "Grendel" after the name given to it by ComGuard troops. Clan Diamond Shark decided to sell or license the design to other Clans in order to avoid Trials for it.
Weapons and Equipment
The Grendel features a powerful 315-rated engine, enabling it to move at a fleet 119 km/h, and enough jump jets fixed on the chassis to propel it up to 210 meters at a leap. The Sharks spared no expense in weight-saving materials, making use of an XL Engine, Endo Steel structure, and seven and a half tons of Ferro-Fibrous armor. The incredible speed of the Grendel is not terribly helpful in most zellbrigen duels, but it is effective in large-scale actions.
The primary configuration uses an ER Large Laser at long range, but really excels at closer ranges. It mounts three ER Medium Lasers that can be devastating to light 'Mechs and a Streak SRM-6 that exploits any holes the lasers make. An ER Small Laser that is effective at point-blank range seems an afterthought. This design is best using its large laser to soften up an opponent, then dash closer in a flurry of lasers and missiles. Two extra double heat sinks help to keep the design mostly cool.
- Alt. Config. D
- A different take on the primary configuration, the Grendel D mounts an ER PPC for long-range engagements. When the 'Mech closes, it bring bring a Medium Pulse Laser, ER Medium Laser, and SRM 6 to bear. A Small Pulse Laser provides protection against conventional infantry. BV (1.0) = 1,991, BV (2.0) = 2,212
- Alt. Config. H
- The H is configured to take advantage of heavy lasers. Bearing a close resemblance to the prime, the Grendel H uses a Heavy Large Laser, Streak SRM-4, two ER Medium Lasers, and a single ER Small Laser. Four additional double heat sinks strain to keep heat levels under control. BV (1.0) = 1,871, BV (2.0) = 1,965
The Mongrel (Grendel) as originally depicted in The Black Thorns
- Technical Readout: 3058 Upgrade, pp. 168-169, "Grendel Profile"
- Record Sheets: 3058 Upgrades, p. 194
- Record Sheets: 3058 Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 126
- The Black Thorns, pp. 54-55
- Technical Readout: 3058, pp. 164-165, "Grendel"
- Record Sheets: 3058 Upgrades, p. 195
- Record Sheets: 3058 Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 127
- Record Sheets: 3058 Upgrades, p. 196
- Record Sheets: 3058 Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 128
- Record Sheets: 3058 Upgrades, p. 197
- Record Sheets: 3058 Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 129
- Record Sheets: 3058 Upgrades, p. 198
- Record Sheets: 3058 Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 130
- Record Sheets: 3058 Upgrades, p. 199
- Record Sheets: Upgrades, p. 73
- Record Sheets: 3058 Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 131
- Record Sheets: 3058 Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 132
- Record Sheets: 3058 Upgrades, p. 200
- Record Sheets: Upgrades, p. 74
- Record Sheets: 3058 Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 133