- Lead Developer Brent Evans Answers Big Questions On The Future Of BattleTech
- Was the Early Portrayal of the Capellan Confederation an Example of Yellow Peril?
- Mechwarrior Online World Championship Semi-Finals Seeding Games
- New Campaign Begins on MegaMekNET
- BATTLETECH Multiplayer Review - A Battle Of Titans
- Read more →
|SDT-1 Spindrift Aquatic SecurityMech|
|Use|| Security Mech |
|Mech type||Inner Sphere IndustrialMech|
|BV (2.0)|| 425|
The Spindrift was an Experimental undersea SecurityMech which was produced by Bowie Industries’ prototype fabrication line on Carlisle in beginning of the Jihad. The initial design uses the chassis of a heavily modified Iroquois Harvester AgroMech as a base. The idea for the design began from the company taking suggestions from its employees.
By 3077, Bowie had deployed two lances of the Spindrift for evaluation. The 'Mech was designed to combat opponents underwater. On land, it is nearly defenseless. Changes would be made due to the results of the tests conducted with these prototypes and dropping experimental armor and the exceedingly difficult to obtain Harjel. The Spindrift production model design would enter production in the Lyran Commonwealth in 3083 as an aquatic type SecruityMech.
Weapons and Equipment
The Spindrift is armed with a right torso-mounted Six-tube Short Range Torpedo launcher with one ton of ammunition. In the left torso, the 'Mech has an Extended Range Small Laser. These weapons are tied into an Advanced Fire Control system to allow military-grade precision in targeting opponents.
Bowie employed a patchwork of different types of armor for protection and evaluation. While normal Heavy Commercial Armor is employed on the rest of the 'Mech, the side torsos had been fitted with a half-ton of Laser Reflective Armor. A half ton of Reactive Armor had been fitted on each arm to test its use underwater. The pilot and the 'Mech's core systems are fitted with Environmental Sealing and BattleMech HarJel in its center torso.
- The production Spindrift developed in 3083 replaces the patchwork armor configuration with five and a half tons of Heavy Industrial Armor. The armament remains the same, as does the underwater maneuvering capability offered by the four UMUs. Procurement problems mean that the BattleMech HarJel system of the prototype has been removed as well. BV (2.0) = 449
- Experimental Technical Readout: Boondocks, p. 5, 18, "SDT-1 Spindrift & Record Sheet"
- MUL online entry for the Spindrift
- Technical Readout: Protyped, pp. 98, "SDT-1A Spindrift Aqutic SecurityMech"
- MUL online entry for the Spindrift SDT-1A variant
- Technical Readout: Prototypes, p. 99, "SDT-1A Spindrift"