Surrender Your Dreams
- Catalyst Releases New Map Pack, New Fiction From Michael Stackpole In March Update
- Did You Know? - Retro BattleTech Games - MechWarrior 2: The Clans
- Catalyst Games Releases Succession Wars Record Sheets And Reprinted BattleTech Manual To Get Everyone Up To Date
- Did You Know? - Retro BattleTech Games - MechWarrior
- Forever Faithful, Blaine Lee Pardoe’s Latest BattleTech Novel, Now Available For Pre-Order
- Read more →
|Surrender Your Dreams|
|Author||Blaine Lee Pardoe|
|Cover artwork||(no attribution)|
|First published||5 December 2006|
|Era||Dark Age era|
|Timeline||3135 - 3138 (with 3155 epilogue)|
|Series||MechWarrior: Dark Age Novels|
|Preceded by||Wolf Hunters|
|Followed by||Dragon Rising|
It has been indicated that the events depicted in the book's epilogue might be altered or de-canonized outright because of changes to the planned BattleTech timeline, but it should be noted that no such change was actually implemented and the events remain fully canonical for the time being. (See Notes below.)
From the back cover
|“|| They are the Fidelis, a brotherhood of warriors whose devotion to honor and courage on the battlefield is unmatched. Their existence known only to a former exarch, they are a fighting force to be reckoned with—a force three knights must consider as they undertake missions that could save the Republic... or cripple it.
Lady Synd embodies the vision of the knight-errant. Devoted wholeheartedly to the Republic and its citizens, she believes in her mission. But what she must do to accomplish it will test her mettle as a knight—and as a human being.
Hunter Mannheim is descended from a long line of military leaders and feels he must continue the tradition of excellence in service and sacrifice in battle. But what he must sacrifice in the name of duty may be more than he can bear.
Kristoff Erbe is a man burdened by shame. His grandfather was a collaborator who served as commander of a "reeducation camp" for those who defied the fanatical Word of Blake. To this day Kristoff searches for a way to redeem his family honor.
Three knights. Three dreams. For each, one chance lies outside the walls of the Fortress Republic.
- Exarch Jonah Levin
- Paladin Damien Redburn
- Ghost Knight Jeremy Chin
- Knight-Errant Crystal Livingstone Synd
- Knight Hunter Mannheim
- Knight Kristoff Erbe
- Cheryl Gunson / Lady Ceresco Hancock
- Colonel Adamans
- Captain Boyne
- The novel's last two chapters are dated "Fortress Republic +21 Years" and "21 years after Fortress Republic", respectively, in the epigraph, which at the time of publication was the far future of the BattleTech universe. They drop some tantalizing hints about what was to come. The second, final epilogue chapter narrates the passing of 131 year old Paul Moon, the Custos of the Fidelis, who passes on his position to a successor, after Jonah Levin has confirmed that the Fidelis had fulfilled their unspecified obligation to Devlin Stone and were now free to chose their destiny.
In a 2013 BattleChat Line Developer Herbert A. Beas stated that "We are not necessarily considering the epilogue for Surrender Your Dreams valid. It would be too restrictive to upcoming plans." While many fans took this to mean the epilogue was de-canonized, the actual statement did not say that, only hinting at the possibility that a future retcon might override it in BattleTech canon. (Technically, this is always possible regarding virtually any aspect of the fictional universe anyways.) Still meeting all criteria for canon and for lack of any express de-canonisation or overriding canon, the epilogue remains fully canonical at this time.
- Paul Moon was (true)born in 3019, suggesting the epilogue with him dying at age 131 to take place in 3150; at the same time, the Fortress Republic protocol +21 years seems to indicate the year 3155 for the epilogue. Since "Fortress Republic" isn't properly dated and could refer to any earlier planning stage preceding the actual implementation, including decisions or events in ca. 3139, the former date seems more likely to be correct.