- Community Outreach - Locust Labs And Creating The Hunchback For Tex Talks BattleTech
- An Ode To Light 'Mechs: Why BattleTech Needs More Light 'Mech Love
- Bad 'Mechs - Ostscout
- It's The Economy, Stupid! Understanding And Comparing MechWarrior 5 In Its Historical And Economic Context
- The Black Pants Legion Presents: The Hunchback, Coming August 26
- Read more →
- This article is about the 30-ton 'Mech. For the Howler 3 "Devil" variant of the Howler (Baboon), see Howler (Baboon)#Variants.
|'Mech type||Clan BattleMech|
|Chassis||Type-A endo steel|
|Armor||Compound H18 Ferro-Fibrous|
|Engine||300 Type I XL engine|
|Communications System||JNE Integrated|
|Targeting Tracking System||Mark IV TTS|
|Heat Sinks||10 double heat sinks|
1x ER PPC
The Devil was created by Clan Snow Raven as a derivative design of Clan Fire Mandrill's 20 ton Howler, after the Snow Ravens had acquired one as isorla shortly after the Howler had debuted. Though it weighs fifty percent more than its progenitor at 30 tons, its use of an endo steel structure and ferro-fibrous armor allows it to focus on high speed and accurate fire. The Devil proved to be a popular sniper for most of the Clans' Golden Century, but was eventually replaced by more flexible OmniMechs. After Clan Snow Raven merged with the Outworlds Alliance, they put the design back into production.
The Inner Sphere first observed Devils in the Clan Jade Falcon Occupation Zone during the initial Clan Invasion through ROM operatives. They reported the 'Mech as slightly underweight at 28 tons, failing to mention the targeting computer and miscalculating the torso armor allocation. They also gave the Devil the alphanumerical code TZ-1, though Clan 'Mechs do not normally have such alphanumerical codes. Notably, they had reported the Clans' proper name for the Devil, which, unlike the Howler that was called Baboon in the Inner Sphere, was never given a distinct Inner Sphere reporting name.
Weapons and Equipment
The Devil is a dedicated fast sniper, essentially a long-ranged, heavy hitting gun on fast legs. The 300-rated XL engine allows it to cruise at over 100 km/h, while running at a top speed of 150 km/h. Its single Series 1B ER PPC is tied into an advanced targeting computer, allowing skilled pilots to dash in, hit a target, then get out again before the enemy can respond. Five tons of ferro-fibrous armor provide protection.
No variants are known to exist, but the Devil is itself based on the Howler (Baboon) and would in turn serve as inspiration for the Howler 3 "Devil" variant of the Howler, which was a modification that Clan Snow Raven carried out on captured Howler 2s from Clan Steel Viper since 3066.
The Devil has the following Design Quirks:
- The TZ-1 Devil was introduced in the 1993 Update Flyer, together with the Roadrunner. In typical FASA fashion these were thinly veiled references to another intellectual property (the Looney Tunes characters of The Road Runner and The Tasmanian Devil). This context also serves to explain the somewhat curious alphanumerical code of TZ-1. Both the Devil and the Roadrunner were described as ideally suited for swarming tactics, which seems to go against Clan rules of engagement, and for scout lances.
- In the original write-up, it was reported by ComStar operatives working from behind the Clan lines in the Jade Falcon Occupied Zone that the BattleMech they had designated the TZ-1 was "apparently based on their Jade Falcon Baboon design, although it is heavier and faster than the Baboon, probably due to its 'chicken leg' design."