|Manufacturer||Novy Minsky Armaments Plant, CJF Factory Zone 5|
|'Mech type||Clan BattleMech|
|Chassis||Type-A Endo Steel|
|Armor||Type 2 ferro-fibrous w/ CASE|
|Communications System||Mercer 973 (Only confirmed for Howler (Baboon) 2)|
|Targeting Tracking System||GEG Pattern 490/1 (Only confirmed for Howler (Baboon) 2)|
|Heat Sinks||10 Double Heat Sinks|
Although this simian-looking BattleMech was conceived as a Totem 'Mech for Clan Fire Mandrill, in the Inner Sphere (where it was given the reporting name Baboon) the Howler was first observed among Clan Jade Falcon second-line units, though it has since been proven to be much more widespread. It is relatively fast for a 'Mech its size, topping out at 119 km/h. Its good speed and armament is made possible by the use of an Endo Steel structure and three tons of ferro-fibrous armor.
Weapons and Equipment
The Howler is a potent missile boat for its size. Meant to provide fire support to light garrison Stars, the 'Mech carries three LRM-5 launchers and three tons of ammunition. It is also used extensively as a training 'Mech.
- Howler 2
- The Howler was redesigned by Clan Steel Viper scientists to improve their light second-line units, after the Clan was expelled from the Inner Sphere by Clan Jade Falcon. A smaller extralight engine provides the space for four ATM 3s along with two tons of ammunition. Though the 'Mech's running speed is reduced, it uses MASC to accelerate to 130 km/h in short bursts. BV (1.0) = 634, BV (2.0) = 757
- Howler 3 ("Devil")
- Clan Snow Raven scientists refitted captured Howler 2s with an ER PPC and a Targeting Computer, turning the 'Mech into a sniper. This variant was supposedly inspired by the 30-ton Devil, a BattleMech design in turn inspired by early Howlers Clan Snow Raven had captured from Clan Fire Mandrill. BV (1.0) = 1,048, BV (2.0) = 1,277
- Howler 4
- Developed by Clan Jade Falcon, this model drops two of the LRM-5s and installs Jump Jets that can cover 210 meters. The ammunition bay is reduced to a single ton. It is prominently used as a trainer. BV (2.0) = 506
- In German products, the unit's proper Clan name was translated to Heuler. The unit's proper Inner Sphere name was also perfectly translated to Pavian.
Howler from RG:ilClan v8
Howler 2 from TRO:3055 Upgrade
Howler from Jade Falcon Sourcebook
Howler in combat from The Battle of Coventry
Howler in combat from CCG
- MUL online date for Howler (Baboon)
- Technical Readout: 3055 Upgrade, p. 104
- Master Unit List: Battle Values, p. 66
- Recognition Guide: ilClan, vol. 8, p. 4
- Recognition Guide: ilClan, vol. 8, p. 22
- Recognition Guide: ilClan, vol. 8, p. 23
- Recognition Guide: ilClan, vol. 8, p. 24
- BattleMech Manual, p. 90: Battlemech Quirk Table - Howler Entry.
- Recognition Guide: ilClan, vol. 8, p. 6