|'Mech type||Clan OmniMech|
|Chassis||Type 56-95C Modified Reinforced|
|Armor||IceSheet Ferro-Fibrous with CASE II|
|Engine||RUFM XL 285|
|Communications System||Garret T10B|
|Targeting Tracking System||GC Hodr System Type 2|
|Heat Sinks||19 double|
Spurred by the Clan Hell's Horses invasion of 3147, this unusually ponderous design marks a shift in the Dominion's preferred combat doctrine, previously focused around swift, agile attackers. Equipped with ample weaponry and advanced protective technologies previously unfamiliar to the Clans, the result is a powerful, resilient OmniMech capable of filling both defensive and heavy assault roles, and able to weather whatever its enemy could possibly throw at it. In fact, the Mastodon's exceptional durability is often utilized by its pilots in order to fool foes into overcommitting, by pretending to have taken more damage than they actually have.
Directly related to the company's earlier Rime Otter rework of Bergan Industries' Grizzly, Jötunn made use of reused and scaled-up components and technologies from these earlier programs throughout the development process, in order to reduce cost and streamline development.
Weapons and Equipment
A juggernaut of a 'Mech, Jötunn BattleWorx made use of technologies unusual in a Clan design in order to protect the Mastodon. Namely, a reinforced skeleton is employed, making it highly durable though arduous to maintain. This protection is further bolstered by the use of fifteen and a half tons of ferro-fibrous armor which also serves to save weight, allowing it a generous 45 tons of pod space for equipment. Propelling the design is an XL 285 fusion engine which affords it a pace of 54 km/h, sufficient for its role.
The design's Prime Configuration is geared towards long range firepower, which comes in the form of a powerful ER PPC in each arm as well as a pair of Streak LRM-20s, one mounted in each side torso. These weapons are supplied by four tons of CASE II–protected ammunition, distributed evenly between the side torsos. Nineteen double heat sinks ensure the 'Mech runs cool, even after a full alpha strike.
- Alternate Configuration A
- Equipped with long-range weaponry, this configuration's primary armament is a Gauss rifle carried in the right arm and fed by 2 tons of ammo. Additionally, it carries an LRM-15 linked to an Artemis IV fire control system in the right torso, calling upon 2 tons of CASE II–protected ammo stored with it. These are all backed up by 3 Large Pulse Lasers in the left arm. To offset the added heat from this weapons load, it carries 5 extra double heat sinks. BV (2.0) = 2,856
- Alternate Configuration B
- Carrying an LBX-20 in the left arm, close-range firepower is the name of the game. It is linked to 3 tons of CASE II–protected ammo in the left torso along with a pair of Streak SRM-4s in the right arm which combined only draw on a single ton of ammo. Recognizing the need for softening up of a target while closing the distance, a Streak LRM-20 was added in the right torso with 2 tons of ammo. Finally, the 'Mech is rounded out and backed up by 4 medium pulse lasers in the right arm, and 4 additional double heat sinks to prevent heat issues. BV (2.0) = 2,793
- Alternate Configuration C
- This medium- to long-range configuration carries a Gauss rifle in the right arm, supplied by two tons of ammo in the right torso, and an ER PPC in the left. While these weapons fulfill the 'Mech's long-range needs, for medium ranges it carries 4 ER medium lasers in the left torso, while an Active Probe in the same location enables it to root out hidden targets. Finally, the 'Mech is equipped with a trio of Plasma Cannons in the right torso, allowing it to dispatch infantry and vehicles with ease while causing severe heat issues for opposing 'Mechs. However, despite the addition of eight double heat sinks, the 'Mech is itself unable to fire its full weapon load without seriously overheating. BV (2.0) = 3,092
- Alternate Configuration D
- Designed for fire support, this configuration fits a pair of LRM-15s in each arm, and an LRM-20 in each side torso, all supplied by a total of 12 tons of CASE II-protected ammunition. To not be completely dependent on the launchers, two medium pulse lasers are added, one in each arm, rounded off by 4 double heat sinks to mitigate any extra heat. BV (2.0) = 2,961
The Mastodon is subject to the following Design Quirks:
- Recognition Guide: ilClan, vol. 20, p. 10
- MUL profile for the Mastodon
- Recognition Guide: ilClan, vol. 20, p. 11