- June News Roundup 2020 - Supplemental
- Your BattleTech News Roundup For June 2020
- Did You Know? Other Games Come And Go, But MechWarrior: Living Legends Is Here To Stay
- Community Outreach - Michael At Metal Core Collectibles Talks About 3D Printing And Making Fan Designs
- Your BattleTech News Roundup For May 2020
- Read more →
An OmniPod (or Pod) is a specialized equipment housing or manifold used to mount weapons, ammunition, and components in OmniMechs, OmniFighters, and OmniVehicles. OmniTechnology allows Omni-capable Units to rapidly reconfigure or replace weapons and equipment, even in the field.
Though an OmniPod refers directly to the housing for the equipment, the term is frequently also used for the equipment mounted inside.
When Clans Coyote and Sea Fox invented OmniTechnology in the mid-2850s, rather than force the myriad weapons manufacturers across Clanspace to re-design their production to allow standard interface with Omni-capable Units, Coyote Scientist Richard (Remer)’s team invented OmniPods that, with moderate technical effort, allow the OmniPod-mounted equipment to be quickly secured to the hollow chassis of the base OmniMech.
OmniPods place power; ammunition computer feeds; coolant lines; CASE baffles; servomechanism, myomer, and actuator connections, and fastenings in a standard arrangement or alignment. Since OmniPod-mounted equipment connections are regularly arranged, they are very easily installed, removed, or repositioned within the Omni chassis. Each Pod requires about 30 minutes for replacement in an Omni. The Pods themselves are light, and add only negligible mass to the Omni Unit, with no effect on performance.,
Components mounted in OmniPods are simply removed and replaced, allowing technicians time to repair the component and the Omni-compatible unit free to do as necessary, although repairing damaged Pod-capable chassis equipment is a bit more time-consuming.
OmniPod-mounted equipment can be mounted on conventional BattleMechs, AeroSpace Fighters, etc., if the equipment is first removed from the OmniPod. While in theory Pod-mounted equipment could be fixed directly into a convention unit, wasting such an expensive housing seems foolish; OmniPods themselves cost one-quarter of the price of their housed components, and installing OmniPods on non-Omni units saves no time vs standard equipment.
- Strategic Operations, p. 182
- Technical Readout: 3050, p. 223, "Outfitting and OmniMech"
- Strategic Operations, pp. 183-184, "Master Repair Table"
- Field Manual: Warden Clans, pp. 39-41
- Strategic Operations, p. 180, "Regional Variation"
- Strategic Operations, p. 189, "Omni Units", Standard equipment and weapons can be mounted in an OmniPod in a maintenance facility. The cost for this is 25% of the equipment being installed. Components may be mounted in OmniPods in the same amount of time it takes to replace stock equipment in a standard (non-Omni) unit. This allows idle Technicians to create an inventory of OmniPod-mounted equipment when they are not needed to maintain, repair, or reconfigure their Omni Unit, for instance in transit from Jump Points or while their unit is actively deployed.
- TechManual, p. 44, "OmniMechs"
- Field Manual: Warden Clans, p. 42, “Crusade of the Valiant”
- Technical Readout: 3050, pp. 223-224
- Technical Readout: 3050, p. 7
- Technical Readout: 3050 Upgrade, p. 112
- Strategic Operations, p. 189