|Development||Herbert A. Beas II|
Randall N. Bills
|Primary writing||Paul Bowman|
Dan C. Duval
David L. McCulloch
Steven Mohan Jr.
Herbert A. Beas II
Randall N. Bills
|Cover Artwork||Franz Vohwinkel|
David R. Deitrick
|Publisher||Catalyst Game Labs|
|Preceded by||Tactical Operations|
|Followed by||A Time of War|
Strategic Operations is the fourth book in the rebranded Classic BattleTech line. It provides advanced rules for aerospace combat and solar system-level campaigns, and reboots the previous BattleForce rules, to allow combat at company, battalion and regimental levels.
From the back cover
|“||Forces In Solar System!
Liftoff [sic] planet and conquer an entire solar system! Deploy kilometer-long WarShips as escorts, first for JumpShips bridging the gulf between stars, then for detaching DropShips that burn in system to drop troops onto any battlefield. New aerospace tactics will allow you to gain air supremacy to match your grasp of ground tactics. Yet the war for a star system is more than a single battle and a commander that utilizes his supplies and personnel with skill will survive the numerous battles to come.
Strategic Operations is the one-source rulebook for advanced rules aerospace assets that open the entire conquest of a solar system. It includes new aerospace movement, combat and advanced aerospace unit construction rules, as well as comprehensive maintenance, salvage, repair and customization rules. Finally, a complete game system—BattleForce—allows players to use their existing miniatures and mapsheets to play quick, fast-paced BattleTech games, from companies to battalions and even regiments.
- General Rules
- Advanced Aerospace Movement
- Advanced Aerospace Combat
- Advanced Aerospace Units Construction
- Maintenance, Repair, Salvage and Customization
- BattleForce: Standard Rules
- BattleForce: Advanced Rules
- BattleForce: Conversion Rules
- Miniatures Rules
- Record Sheets
- Like Total Warfare and other books in the new series, most of the artwork in the book are pictures of painted miniatures. This book expands the BattleTech eras to play in from previous volumes defining the time periods of the following eras:
- Age of War era (2398-2569)
- Reunification War (2570-2597)
- Star League era (2598-2784)
- The Succession Wars era is further subdivided into
- Clan Invasion era (3050-3066)
- Jihad era (3067 and later)
- This book was intended to be released at GenCon on 11 August, 2009.
- The 2009 printing had the trademarked title BattleTech Strategic Operations.
- In 2021 Strategic Operations received a third printing that removed all BattleForce and Miniatures rules from the volume. Strategic Operations: Advanced Aerospace Rules, while technically a reprint, was given its own article due to the extent of change.
First printing errata cover (2009). Classic has been removed from the BattleTech header and image enlarged to overlay bottom border.