How to ask a technical question to?
Sorry to bother you with this, you were the first admin listed! I was curious whether sarna used the mediawiki semantic extension or not? It looks like it has a couple of neat features that might be useful. Sorry if you are the wrong person to ask.
With you doing a load of stuff on the planet coordinates and nearby systems, I thought it would be a good time to ask since the projects planets stuff has so many iterations and talk pages etc I have no idea what is the current standard. I have been using Help:CreatePlanetArticle when I work on pages, from your changes do we have a more up-to date article template that I am not aware of? If so could you point me in the right direction please.
Secondly we have a few systems like Ahlat that are canon, have coords but no nearby systems table, do we have a way of generating one without me having to sit and do maths?--Dmon (talk) 15:02, 5 January 2020 (EST)
- Hey Dmon! Yeah sorry, BattleTechWiki:Project_Planets/Mapping is a little hard to follow with so many different discussions around it. We're starting to make progress again, so you may see some updates.
- I've updated Help:CreatePlanetArticle, so it has the instructions for Nearby Systems. These will all be auto-generated (including Ahlat), probably within a week, so no need to touch any of them. Thanks! Nicjansma (talk) 08:47, 6 January 2020 (EST)
- Hey Nic,
- The new tables look incredible! Only one small nitpick though, back in the Battlecorps days the writing guidelines made a point that Sol is never to be called Sol but to be called Terra. I know this is scientifically wrong but it does seem to be the in universe standard.
- Also MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries added a few new systems that due to the fact the game has the entire sphere mapped we might be able to get some system coords for.--Dmon (talk) 15:11, 13 January 2020 (EST)
Hey Nic, I have noticed that a few of the macro generated maps are not working properly. (File:Rastaban 3151.svg is a good example, is there any chance you could look into it and see if you can find out what is wrong.--Dmon (talk) 07:12, 16 April 2020 (EDT)
- Funny, I can see the map file all right - but there are other files that I cannot see (but other users can), not only map SVGs. We've been discussing this phenomenon on the Sarna forum here.
Most visited pages
This is possibly a bit of an odd one but I have fuzzy memories of the articles on the pages having a visitor count at the bottom and there being a special page that listed the most visited pages on the wiki (It was the Timber Wolf). Am I remembering right that this function existed, and if so does it still exist?--Dmon (talk) 17:58, 31 May 2020 (EDT)
- I can confirm such a counter and special page existed, but were lost in a wiki software upgrade a few years back. I dimly recall asking Nic about it back then and him answering that yes, the counters were lost. Frabby (talk) 02:08, 1 June 2020 (EDT)
SpamBot attacks and the New user message bot
We have recently had huge numbers of spambots making accounts. If you look at the User List the New user message bot currently stands at 787 in the last 30 days. The last time I checked (about 2 weeks ago) it stood at 970 in the last 30 days, and this has been going on for about 3 months now. Luckily as far as I can tell these spambots are not actually doing anything to the wiki beyond creating the accounts themselves BUT as an admin I am finding the New user message bot is "clogging up" the recent changes list and making it difficult for me to actually keep an eye out for other suspicious edits. Is there anything we can do about this?--Dmon (talk) 12:14, 15 September 2020 (EDT)
- EDIT, Just in the time it took me to write this message and then test the user list link worked we had two spambots create accounts making it 789!--Dmon (talk) 12:15, 15 September 2020 (EDT)
As I have noted in the To Do List, certain words are misspelled dozens or even hundreds of times on this website. I and several other users have expressed interest in starting a project to remove common spelling mistakes. My goal is to fix any searchable misspelling (ie, it can be found easily with the searchbar function) that occurs at least a half a dozen times on this website. Users will be able to submit common errors to the project, and the members will hunt them down and get rid of them, removing them from the list as they are eliminated. I don't know how to actually start a Project page myself, so I am asking here. --DragonoftheRust (talk) 20:57, 28 October 2020 (EDT)