|Manufacturer||York BattleMech Y3 Facility|
|Armor||Compound 12A1 Standard w/ CASE|
|Communications System||York Y3-Com|
|Targeting Tracking System||York Y3 T&T|
|Heat Sinks||21 Double heat sinks|
|Jump Jets||Clan Series Type 3 Assault|
The Blood Kite is a BattleMech that was designed on the orders of Clan Blood Spirit Khan Ceana Boques following the deployment of the OmniMech by Clan Coyote in 2854. Because Khan Boques expected the Trials for the OmniMech technology to escalate to the point that her small Clan's touman would not be able to compete, she ordered her scientist caste to rethink the way they designed 'Mechs. Boques dictated that this design philosophy was to conform to four points that seem like they would be common sense: be as cheap as is reasonable, have a reasonable chance of surviving an engagement, sustain a steady barrage, and be as efficient as possible. In fact, many prior designs created by the Clan's scientists violated many or all of these principles. The cream of this crop was the Blood Kite, which debuted in the early part of the thirtieth century.
The Blood Kite eschews the use of expensive technology and weapons, only making use of an Endo Steel internal structure to save weight. It contains as much standard armor as the engineers could fit onto the eighty-five ton frame, as well as jump jets that propel it up to ninety meters at a time.
The Blood Kite does not use advanced electronic targeting systems or expensive weaponry. For long range, it mounts a trio of Series 7K ER Large Lasers and three Type XV LRM-15 launchers. The missile launchers each contain enough ammunition for protracted engagements, though the twenty-one double heat sinks preclude continuous fire of all six weapons. At short range, three SEP Class SRM-4 launchers give the 'Mech the ability to score critical damage against exposed components.
- Blood Kite 2
- This more recent variant keeps only two LRM-15s from the original armament, each of which are slaved to an Artemis IV FCS. Added to them are three ER PPCs. This expensive weaponry is in violation of Khan Boques' directive, though the powerful design may prove worthwhile. No heat sinks were added, so the 'Mech is prone to overheating. It also carries a Light Active Probe in the head. BV (1.0) = 2,901, BV (2.0)= 3,122
- ↑ MUL online date for the Blood Kite
- ↑ Technical Readout: 3067, p. 129
- ↑ Combat Operations, p. 110
- ↑ Record Sheets: 3067 Unabridged, p. 223