|Tech Base||Inner Sphere|
|Power Plant||GM 380 XL|
|Communications System||Rander 250|
|Tracking & Targeting System||Rander T47|
|Heat Sinks||11 Double Heat Sinks|
|BV (1.0)|| 2,475|
The result of a long-term effort by the LAAF to produce an Alliance OmniFighter, the massive Eisensturm (German for "Iron Storm") is equally at home in space or atmosphere, intended to take the place of the aging Chippewa.
Work began in 3060, and while the final Omni-pod design was not yet ready until late 3066, a fixed-configuration R3 variant based on the primarily configuration saw heavy action and considerable acclaim for its effectiveness against Clan Jade Falcon and the Draconis Combine in the midst of the FedCom Civil War. Though officially an LAAF project, Lockheed/CBM shouldered much of the development costs in the hopes of recouping the expenditure through lucrative contracts with the Lyran military as well as offering the Eisensturm for sale on the open market.
The use of an GM 380 XL Engine and nineteen and a half tons of Donegal Omni-Sheath Ferro-Aluminum give the Eisensturm incredible protection, speed and maneuverability for its weight while freeing up 46 tons of pod space for a devastating volume of weaponry, though like many OmniFighters this pod space comes at the cost of the design’s heat-dissipation capabilities, carrying only eleven Double Heat Sinks on its base chassis.
Weapons and Equipment
The primary Eisensturm configuration is built around twin Gauss Rifles and paired Medium Lasers in the nose, supported by a single Large Laser fitted to each wing. Four tons of gauss reloads allow them to be the primary weapons fired to keep all the laser generated heat under control.
- Alt. Config. A
- The A configuration's Heavy Gauss Rifle makes this variant decidedly nose heavy, supported by twin ER Large Lasers carried in each wing. Three tons of Gauss ammo allow the fighter reasonable linger time, while five additional double heat sinks strain to keep its heat in check. BV (1.0) = 2,257 (2,209) BV (2.0) = 2,637
- Alt. Config. C
- The C configuration features a mixture of autocannons and missiles, mounting an LRM-20 and Ultra AC/5 in the nose, supported by twin SRM-6s in each wing. While Artemis IV systems boost the performance, the complete ammo dependence and lack of any energy weapon on this variant forces the fighter to withdraw once its two tons of autocannon rounds and four tons each of long and short range missiles are expended. BV (1.0) = 1,845 BV (2.0) = 2,209
- Alt. Config. D
- The D configuration carries three Plasma Rifles in the nose and an MML-7 in each wing. The after aspect of the Eisensturm is protected by an ER Medium Laser. A Targeting Computer improves the accuracy of all weapons. Fifteen double heat sinks take care of the heat. BV (2.0) = 2,712
- This pre-production variant of the Eisenstrum was used to test the weapons configuration of the fighter before it was converted into an Omni unit. It carries the same weapons as the Primary configuration of the OmniFighter, and has the same amount of armor protection. BV (2.0) = 2,776
- The fixed pre-Omni EST-R3 version mentioned in the TRO:3067 write up served as the example design of the Construction section of AeroTech 2, where it was specifically a non-OmniFighter design.
- MUL online date for the Eisensturm
- Technical Readout: 3067, pp. 156-157, "Eisensturm OmniFighter Profile"
- AeroTech 2 Record Sheets, p. 168
- Record Sheets: 3067 Unabridged, p. 278
- AeroTech 2 Record Sheets, p. 169
- Record Sheets: 3067 Unabridged, p. 279
- AeroTech 2 Record Sheets, p. 170
- Record Sheets: 3067 Unabridged, p. 280
- AeroTech 2 Record Sheets, p. 171
- Record Sheets: 3067 Unabridged, p. 281
- Record Sheets: 3067 Unabridged, p. 282
- Record Sheets: 3067 Unabridged, p. 283