- 1 Character Description
- 2 Notes
- 3 References
- 4 Bibliography
Tai-sa Eleanor "Lainie" Shimazu - Former commander of the 9th Ghost Regiment, she is dedicated to Theodore Kurita for freeing her from control of the bad elements of the yakuza. Physically she was known for her red hair, tall stature and cool demeanor as a warrior.
Early Life & Servitude on Hachiman
In her youth she lived on the world of Kagoshima, where she was a tomboy and enjoyed participating in sporting events.  Her father was wealthy, and when she was aged twelve he used his connections to get her into excellent schools. However her tomboy-ish and rebellious mentality soon got her kicked out of those schools, which deeply upset her father. As she matured into a young woman, one of her father's yakuza lieutenants betrayed him to other power-hungry yakuza, which forced her to flee to Hachiman. There she came under the influence of her "cousin". She was forced to submit to his will, it was only when Theodore Kurita's reforms freed her that she found a way out.  The new mandates allowed for yakuza members in the armed forces to answer only to the Coordinator and not their former yakuza bosses.
The 17th Recon and the Coming Storm
In August 3056, Lainie and the command staff of the 9th Ghost witnessed the arrival of the 17th Recon Regiment (aka Camacho's Caballeros) to garrison Uncle Chandy's Compound. She and her people began to scope out the gaijin mercenaries to determine their strengths and weaknesses. Eventually, they met in a bar which the mercenaries had adopted and had a friendly brawl with them. Lainie warmed up to Bronco Company's commander, Captain Kali MacDougall, whom she shares kinship having both faced the Clans and surviving in a "man's world."
In early September, she met with her cousin and former yakuza master, Kazuo Sumiyama. He asked her about what she thought of these new arrivals and their abilities. She tweaks him inertly, since she despises him after years being controlled by him and being freed of him by the Coordinator's policies.
She and rest of the 9th Ghost became fast friends with the 17th Recon, watching the do unbelievable piloting with there 'Mech experises for Uncle Chandy. In early October, HTE is attacked by Word of Blake raiders. Lainie ordered the deployment of the 9th, but was stopped by Earl of Hachiman, Percival Fillington. He ordered that no BattleMechs were to deploy from her base. Lainie obeyed the order, but organizes her troops take vehicle with infantry gear to support her mercenary friends.
On November 1st, she was ordered by Planetary Governor Fillington to attack the HTE compound, due to an apparent mutiny by her friends in the 17th Recon Regiment. She also called to Kazuo by persuasive force by his goons so he may talk to her. At her cousin's headquarters , Kazuo tells her that he disappointed in her actions/feelings towards mercenaries. This has shamed him and his organization, therefore she is forced to atone for her behavior to her cousin, by cutting her left finger off in the yakuza ritual of Yubitsume.
Siege of H.T.E. Compound
On November 2nd, the Day of the Dead holiday, Lainie assembled her regiment at the outskirts of the compound demanding the surrender of the 17th Recon and release their "captive". Colonel Don Camacho politely refuse when citing her hesitation in answering question of his people treatment and he was being paid to protect Lord Chandrasekhar Kurita and his compound from attack.
She split her force by battalion, she lead 1st Battalion in frontal assault against H.T.E. Compound's front in the north. She dispatches her 2nd Battalion to the south in flanking attack. In hopes to distract her former friends, she has commandos with SRM missiles hit the complex's walls elsewhere. She held her 3rd Battalion in reserve waiting for the planet's two moons to lower the tide of the deep Yamato river, so they could conduct their surprise assault across unprotected flank of the fortress. However, Lainie and first battalion became caught in a trap set by her mercenary foes. She was forced to commit her Third Battalion early, but good timing moons tides lower the river enough for the her people to cross to attack the Compound from the west.
The battle began turn for the her Ghosts as she marched her battalion with the 2nd to the front wall as they withered barrages of artillery fire. Battering the mercenaries into a withdraw, she and her people stormed the Compound's northern walls.
As they press the fight into the Compound, Lainie is moved to tears as mercenary's singing Astech played tearful ballad of was forbidden their Colonel to play. She then realizing the song of lost daughter and heroine was also her beloved 9th Ghost's own which she now felt in spirit could not beat the her former friends.
Lainie's Third Battalion was repulsed by the last-ditch efforts of the defenders, including the 17th Recon's commanding officer in his Timber Wolf, with now counter assault behind the 2nd Battalion, they too withdrew from the fight.
As she drove her Mauler to what she believed was her doom, she encountered her old friend Kali MacDougall and her equally battered Atlas. In brief exchanges she apologizing, but she must fight her even if the its through her. Fortunately she saved from fighting her friend, with ISF Assistant Director Ninyu Kerai-Indrahar announcing on all general frequencies that the combat was over. 
Aftermath and Ascension
After the battle, she and the Ghosts were seen as heroes. A false story was created covering up the true events of the battle. The new story portrayed her and 17th Recon as heroes fighting an undisclosed foe. She found herself promoted within the Yakuza gang to her "cousin's" former position as its leader. After her cousin's sudden "suicide" flying his private aircraft into the side of a cliff, she re-organized the Sumiyama organization. Now other Yakuza gang leaders now come answering to her. She reflected on events leading to new position with laughter. As she admires newly reattached finger, while her boot rests next to canister containing the head of her Kazuo. 
Reunion and Romance
In June of 3058, Lainie and rest of the 9th Ghost would be invited as guests to the Coordinator Theodore Kurita's birthday celebration. Lainie's unit would be housed in the studios of the Eiga-toshi (also known as Cinema City). At the studio of the Voice of the Dragon, they had a reunion with her friends from the 17th Recon, who had also been invited to Luthien.
Shortly after her friend's their arrival she would official party with many of Luthien's leading officers and political heads. During this she would encounter Voice of the Dragon director, Mishcha Kurosawa, whom would prevent a foolish Sho-Sho for attempting to man handle Cassie Suthorn. His conduct would catch her attention she would strike conversation, with him and they would soon become involved in a quiet relationship. Her romance with Mishcha would lighten up her life as they enjoyed their talks and intimate time together.
However on the 27th a pale Lainie calls Mishcha suddenly and tell him she doesn't want see him anymore. She told him that she didn't see them having much of a future in their relationship, despite his protesting his feelings to her. She tell him to get over it and move on. Later that day, after fighting a grueling simulation against Smoke Jaguars, Lainie runs into her old friend Kali MacDougall. Kali convinces her to take walk with her and talk about what going on with her, citing she worried about her. Lainie concedes to Kali that she felt Mishcha was too good for her, since he treated her in a way no man ever had. However, she was on a mission that she swore Kali by her honor not to reveal to anyone. She tells Kali the identity of the man who killed her father, drove her into exile and into hiding was Benjamin Inagawa, Chief oyabun of the Benjamin Military District. He now on Luthien and she is honor bound to kill him. Because he had become an honored servant of the Coordinator, she plans to commit seppuku to apologize to him while not disgracing him. Kali understands it tries to reason with her that there must be another way, but tells her there isn't one that she can think of.
Rescue of the Coordinator and Revenge
During the parade on July 1st, Cassie Suthorn contacted Lainie warning her that traitors were attempting to assassinate the Coordinator. She ordered a company of her regiment to detach from its place in line, and charge through the city to reach Imperial Palace. At the palace, a special company of OmniMechs led by Otomo commander Tai-sa Hideyoshi, declared Theodore Kurita a traitor and turned its guns on him.
Lainie's boys and girls began arriving in Unity Square as Otomo begun turn on Coordinator, with arrival of her command's 'Mechs, a Stealth, which was blown into pieces in midflight as it began the assault on the traitors. As her unit begun to mix it up with the traitors of the Otomo, the 1st Sword of Light, began to fire on them thinking they were the enemy. She then announced on general frequencies that the Coordinator was being assaulted by the Otomo demonstration team, then asked not fire on them. She then turned on the traitor Oda Hideyoshi, taking his Sunder with her Mauler. Getting close and personal with the Hideyoshi, she manages to fire 'Mechs' Large Laser and blasting his cockpit.
As she fought her duel with Hideyoshi, her 'Mech and command withers away from the onslaught of fighting. With her 'Mech sustaining major damage - including the loss of her weapon systems - Lainie took inspiration from Kali MacDougall's style of fighting. She charged her Mauler up to Hideyoshi's Sunder and managed to trip his 'Mech. She order hauled by Tai-sho Tomoe Sakade, Commander of Kagoshima Prefecture and wife of the Coordinator. Lainie identified herself to her when she is challenged and charges Hideyoshi as traitor and she should investigate. Tai-sho Sakade agreed, but allowed Hideyoshi stand his 'Mech up after Lainie knocked him down. When he does, he announces "Death to the Traitors!" attempt charge grandstand, where Coordinator is. Tai-sho Sakade fired on his 'Mech, joined in by Lainie and all loyal 'Mechs present in the square, annihilating him.
Meanwhile, Chief Oyabun Benjamin Inagawa, was among the crowds when Coordinator Kurita emerged from within his review stand's armored blast walls. Having mixed feeling that his co-conspirators had failed to assassinate attempt on Theodore Kurita, he took out his hold out pistol to take aim to kill him. However, Lainie spotted him among the surviving crowds of the grandstand using her 'Mech's barrel arms picked him up like a pair of giant chop sticks. She then announced her true identity as Melisandra DuBonnet, charging Inagawa with the murder of her father and that he would pay in blood for the crime. He demands for her put her down, Lainie gladly does so gently. He began to run, but was stomped on by her 'Mech's right foot fulfilling the need to avenge her late father. Shortly after Lainie would dismount her 'Mech meet again with Michcha heart warming hug solidly relationship once more.
In the Aftermath of the Coup, Otomo, and the Jihad
Officially, Lainie's command was dissolved, she and her surviving members of the Legion being transferred to the Otomo's 'Mech Regiment.
Made into a Chu-sa upon her transfer, she became the commanding officer of the Otomo’s 3rd Battalion. In 3063, the Coordinator’s wife Tomoe Sakade committed seppuku during the Combine-Ghost Bear War, had her Naginata willed to Lainie for “all time” for her role in saving her husband from the Black Dragon assassins.
- Lainie's callsign among her regimental colleagues is "Red Witch", and for most of her command career in the Ninth Ghost, she piloted a Mauler assault 'Mech. She was a tall woman, with less modesty taboo of being "under-clothed" than most Combine women due to her position as a MechWarrior and a yakuza. She sports untamed, red flaming hair.
- It is unclear what happened to her during the early stages of the Jihad. The 2nd Sword of Light sided with the resurgent Black Dragons and turned the Imperial City and the world of Luthien into a civil war battlefield. The Loyalist Otomo suffered 75% loss to its officer core, and Lainie Shimazu was not listed among current officers commanding it.
- Black Dragon, p. 238 - Lainie tells her close friend Kali her real name and that of her father.
- Close Quarters p. 162 - early life as tomboy and sports enthusiast.
- Close Quarters, pp 162-164 - Early Life, fleeing her homeworld, to Hachiman.
- Close Quarters, pp. 122-131 - Cassie and Kali start their friendship in unit's bar when Tai-su Shinini Shimazu and the 9th Ghost walk into the bar and introduce themselves.
- Close Quarters (p. 133-138) - Lainie is summoned to her cousin's headquarters trying exert control over her as used to prior to Coordinator Kurita's reforms.
- Close Quarters, pp.160-162 - Lainie and her people witness the 17th Recon's experises to show off their unusual piloting skills.
- Close Quarters, p. 231-232, 240-241 - Lainie's actions during first attack against HTE's compound.
- Close Quarters, pp.304-307 - Lainie is called to Sumiyama headquarters just before she called into combat
- Close Quarters, pp.311-312 - Lainie is forced to cut her finger off for helping the 17th Recon's people.
- Close Quarters, pp. 318-319 - Lainie is forced to ask for the 17th Recon's surrender, knowing full well she was being forced to fight them.
- Close Quarters, pp. 322-325, 330-337, 342-345, 350-351, 363-364, 370-371, 375 - Lainie's actions during the Siege of H.T.E. Compound.
- Close Quarters, p. 382-384 - Lainie's life goes into upswing since her elevation as hero.
- Black Dragon, pp. 85-89 - Lainie and 9th Ghost have reunion at Cinema City on Luthien.
- Black Dragon, pp. 95-99 128-136 - Lainie meets and starts a relationship with VoTD Director Kurosawa and Cassie Suthorn finds out later she could be in love through her regiment members.
- Black Dragon, pp. 137-141 Lainie's relationship with Mishcha would grows.
- Black Dragon, pp. 222-223 - Lainie calls it quits with Mishcha reluctantly.
- Black Dragon, pp. 234-239 - Lainie confession of her problems to Kali, and her honor-bonded but suicidal plans to kill Benjamin Inagawa.
- Black Dragon, pp. 348-351, 353-358 - Lainie runs to the rescue and engages the renegade Otomo OmniMech demo team.
- Black Dragon, pp 367-371 - Pitched battle against Otomo and her joining with the Coordinator's wife to finish off their leader.
- Black Dragon, pp. 371-377 - Lainie gets revenge for father and is reunited with lover, Michcha.
- Field Manual: Updates, p. 102, 110, 119 - Otomo - 9th Ghost and its survivors integrated with Otomo regiment.
- Technical Readout: 3055 Upgrade, p. 78, "Naginata/Notable MechWarriors" – Lainie Shimazu noted as Notable MechWarrior noting slight update her her position in the Otomo and being gifted the Coordinator’s wife Assault BattleMech.
- Close Quarters, pp. 69, 318-319 - 'Mech and call sign noted. Her hair is noted flame red and her face has freckles.
- Field Report: DCMS, p. 12 Genyosha/Otomo/Izanagi - Field Report shows significant loss of officers during the Battle for Luthien, character's survival is doubtful.