|Manufacturer||Luthien Armor Works|
|Chassis||Alshain Class 101|
|Armor||New Samarkand Royal Ferro-Fibrous w/CASE|
|Engine||Hermes 270 XL|
|Communications System||Sipher Security Plus mk.II|
|Targeting Tracking System||Matabushi SuperSentinel|
|Heat Sinks||11 Double heat sinks|
This 90-ton assault 'Mech was codenamed Mauler by the Federated Commonwealth, allegedly when it was first seen in the Luthien Armor Works proving grounds around 3050 although other sources indicate that this design, then in its first stage (the Daboku), was already deployed along the Draconis Combine border as early as 3038 in selected DCMS units. Because the Daboku turned out a design failure suffering from construction flaws, LAW adopted the FedCom codename Mauler for its redesigned successor in order to avoid the stigma, effectively treating it as a new 'Mech.
The Mauler is protected with eleven and a half tons of Ferro-Fibrous armor and has a maximum speed of 54 km/h. Built to engage targets at extremely long ranges, the 'Mech is armed almost solely with long range weaponry. While this left the Mauler vulnerable to rushing by 'Mechs armed with short range weaponry, a skilled MechWarrior can use the range advantage offered to minimize damage to the Mauler while simultaneously causing as much damage as possible to enemy combatants. The 'Mech is particularly unsuited to urban combat where its long range weaponry has substantial difficulty in targeting enemy units.
This BattleMech has a particularly convoluted history, owing to contradictory data from different sources. In initial reports (the Technical Readout: 3050), ComStar Adept Merle Jimmus suggested that the MAL-1R Mauler was a new design being tested for production by LAW as of 3052. However, a subsequent ComStar document (the 1st Somerset Strikers sourcebook) described Adept Jimmus' earlier report as "less than accurate", leading to an internal investigation within ComStar, because the 'Mech was in truth long past its prototype stage - significant numbers had been captured by the Federated Commonwealth during the War of 3039 already. The initial Succession Wars era version was later identified as the Daboku, predecessor to the actual Mauler.
Weapons and Equipment
The Mauler is armed with four Imperator Smoothie-2 Autocannon/2s as its longest ranged primary weapons. Individually, the damage the AC/2s deal is insignificant, but together they can steadily whittle away armor at extreme range. The 'Mech also carries two Shigunga LRM-15 launchers, adding much needed punch to the extreme reach of its four autocannons. The 'Mech also carries two Victory Nickel Alloy ER Large Lasers for added long range punch.
While the Mauler is outfitted with CASE to protect its vulnerable ammunition bays, its heavily ballistic and missile based weapons complement forces reliance on secure supply lines to properly satiate its weaponry's voracious appetite for ammunition.
- This overhaul replaces the lasers with Snub-Nose PPCs. The autocannons were replaced with the same number of Light Autocannon/5s, along with enough ammo bins to take advantage of special munitions. It's also fitted with an additional double heat sink, giving this version of the Mauler adequate heat-dissipation capabilities. BV (1.0) = ??, BV (2.0) = 1,678
- A low-tech version of the Mauler for the arenas of the Solaris Games that is built completely from stock Succession Wars era technology. It mounts only standard heat sinks instead of double heat sinks, standard armor instead of ferro-fibrous armor, and no CASE. Most importantly, it has a standard engine instead of an XL engine. The increased mass of the engine neccessitates the downgrading of the lasers to Medium Lasers on both arms. To make good for the downgraded technology level, a twelfth standard heat sink was added as well as an additional ton of armor. The armor was also rearranged to provide even better protection to the front torso sections, at the cost of armor to the rear torso sections and arms. (The canonicity of this design is questionable, as it was only published in the German edition of the Solaris VII Boxed Set. It is identical to the Linesman in all but name. BV (1.0) = ??, BV (2.0) = ??
- The 2R variant of the Mauler uses relatively new weapons. The standard AC/2s are replaced with Ultra versions thereby doubling their potential damage. Paired ER Medium Lasers are fitted in arms formerly housing the ER Large Lasers. The missile launchers are reduced to smaller LRM-10s. A heavier standard fusion engine is utilized instead of the expensive XL. BV (2.0) = 1,586
- The 3R variant of the Mauler upgrades the design and addresses the concerns of pilots that used the 1R model. The four Autocannon/2s have been replaced with a pair of LB-X Autocannon/10s. The ER Large Lasers were removed from the design, but MAL-3R retains the two LRM-15 launchers of its predecessor. Also incorporated in the design is a single Small Laser and a C3 Slave unit, the latter of which allows the 3R to use targeting data from units that are closer to the enemy and vice versa. It also has a ninety meter jump capability. BV (1.0) = 1,698 (C3: 202), BV (2.0) = 1,877
- The C variant of the Mauler is a modification that was made to the 1R model to allow it to carry a C3 Slave unit into battle. This is achieved by removing one ton of autocannon ammunition. This small modification allows the Mauler to share targeting data with friendly units and makes the 'Mech a highly effective sniper. BV (1.0) = 1,133 (C3: 261), BV (2.0) = 1,473
- MAL-4X "Todesbote"
- A custom configuration used by a Lyran Commonwealth criminal, this Mauler variant (named "Todesbote" by the LCAF) replaces the standard weaponry of a Mauler with a single Hypervelocity AC/10 in each arm, while the missile racks were replaced by MML-7s. Each autocannon has two tons of ammo while the twin MML-7s use a single ton of ammunition. All ammunition bays are protected by CASE II, and the "Todesbote" is protected by twenty-seven tons of Hardened Armor. BV (2.0) = 1,904
- Loosely based on the Mauler the MAL-1P utilizes just about the same weapons, except this version carries a PPC in each arm. It retains both LRMs, it downgrades these from the LRM-15s to LRM-10s, and keeps the MAL-1R's four Autocannon/2s. A Extra Light 270 Engine keeps it moving and eleven Double Heat Sinks keeps the heat at bay. This variant was introduced in MechWarrior Online, and thus far has not appeared in any canonical media.
- The 2P should be considered a prototype. Unlike the 1P or MX90, the 2P carries a pair of Lasers in each arm, it's rumored that more than two can affixed if need be. Its twin LRM-10s allow it to send missiles at a greater distance and two Ultra Autocannon/5s give it long to close range support. Both the LRMs and UAC/5s have two tons of ammunition a piece, and like the 1P and MX90, the 2P has Cellular Ammunition Storage Equipment to help protect it from ammo explosions. Eleven Double Heat Sinks and a 270 Standard Engine round out the rest of it load out. This variant was introduced in MechWarrior Online, and thus far has not appeared in any canonical media.
- The Mauler MAL-MX90 is something of a close assimilation of the MAL-MX90-D, both carry two LRM-10s, two Large Lasers and four Autocannon/2 and use a 270 Standard Engine, however, unlike the MAL-MX90-D, the MAL-MX90 is equipped with Cellular Ammunition Storage Equipment, or C.A.S.E.. Which protects the MAL-MX90 from ammunition implosions. It also carries the same amount of Standard Heat Sinks, twelve in all round out the equipment. This variant was introduced in MechWarrior Online, and thus far has not appeared in any canonical media.
- The DCMS-MX90-D Daboku, while not a proper variant of the Mauler, is noteworthy as its immediate predecessor. Although itself a highly unsuccessful design, the Daboku can be described as a prototype that was eventually refined into the Mauler design.
- Apocryphally, as the Daboku was the progenitor of the Mauler, the Daboku was itself based on a Capellan Confederation prototype design, the LMN-1PT5 Linesman (known as Nainokami in the Draconis Combine). Visually, all three are visually similar.
- MUL online Profile for MAL-1R Mauler - Includes Introduction Date, BV2, and Alpha Strike Data Card.
- Combat Operations, p. 125
- Technical Readout: 3050 Upgrade, p. 103
- Record Sheets: 3050 Upgrade, Inner Sphere, p. 257
- Record Sheets: 3050 (Inner Sphere) Unabridged, p. 259
- Record Sheets: Upgrades, p. 150
- Master Unit List: Battle Values, p. 127
- Record Sheets: 3060, p. 223
- Experimental Technical Readout: Most Wanted, p. 6
- Experimental Technical Readout: Most Wanted, p. 19
- MUL Profile for the MUL-4X Mauler (Todesbote) - BV2, Intro Date, and Alpha Strike Card.
- 1st Somerset Strikers
- BattleTech Compendium: Rules of Warfare
- Combat Operations
- Experimental Technical Readout: Most Wanted
- Master Unit List: Battle Values
- Record Sheets: 3050
- Record Sheets: 3050 Upgrade (Inner Sphere)
- Record Sheets: 3060
- Record Sheets: Upgrades
- Solaris VII: The Game World
- Technical Readout: 3050
- Technical Readout: 3050 Revised
- Technical Readout: 3050 Upgrade