Great Gorge neighbouring systems
|X:Y Coordinates||492.68 : -266.87[e]|
Note: X and Y are coordinates (light years on XY plane) relative to Terra at (0, 0)
| Jump point
|Highest native life||Plants|
|Ruler|| Losart Ulitock, Marquess of Great Gorge (3025)|
Marquis Lawrence Ulitock (3055)
|HPG (Representative)||B (Precentor Paul Thyres)|
- 2317 - No record 
- 2571 - Federated Suns 
- 2596 - Federated Suns 
- 2750 - Federated Suns 
- 2764 - Federated Suns 
- 2765 - Federated Suns 
- 2822 - Federated Suns 
- 2864 - Federated Suns 
- 3025 - Federated Suns 
- 3030 - Federated Suns 
- 3040 - Federated Commonwealth
- 3050 - Federated Commonwealth 
- 3052 - Federated Commonwealth 
- 3057 - Federated Commonwealth 
- 3058 - Federated Commonwealth 
- 3063 - Federated Commonwealth 
- 3067 - Federated Suns 
- 3072 - Malagrotta Cooperative 
- 3075 - Malagrotta Cooperative 
- 3079 - Federated Suns 
- 3081 - Federated Suns 
- 3085 - Federated Suns 
- 3130 - Independent world 
- 3135 - Independent world 
- 3145 - Independent world 
Originally the only feature of note was a large canyon that gave the world its name. A religious group from Terra settled on Great Gorge just before the first Star League was formed. This religious group scattered seeds from airplanes and fish eggs into the seas. The resulting oxygen generated by the plants allowed the fish to survive as they consumed the native algae. Originally a marginally habitable world with minor amounts of arable land, by the fall of the Star League the world was packed with settlers enjoying the plentiful air, water, and food. In addition, several mining companies found that the Great Gorge itself provided easy access to minerals and precious metals. As a result the standard of living rose.
In the thirty-first century, Great Gorge was still a contrast in extremes; the planet’s surface was dominated by mountain ranges and some of the largest valleys and canyons to be found anywhere within the boundaries of the Inner Sphere. Located close to both the Mica Majority and the Tortuga Dominions, Great Gorge sees many groups of varying reputation travel through, headed either for the gold-rush environment of the Majority or travelling for more nefarious purposes. Great Gorge itself was a world rich in minerals and supported the population at a much higher standard of living than the typical Periphery world, but this in turn made Great Gorge a tempting target for pirates like Fuchida's Fusiliers.
In the wake of the Clan Invasion the Federated Commonwealth redeployed the garrison forces which had been protecting Great Gorge and the surrounding area. In 3055 Marquis Lawrence Ulitock, the planetary ruler, was actively recruiting mercenaries to defend Great Gorge, as the planet had been struck repeatedly by pirates in a series of fierce raids. The raids largely concentrated on attacking the mining areas and companies, although some attacks were launched against the various cities on Great Gorge to obtain slaves for trade; complicating the defense of Great Gorge were issues in obtaining supplies and ammunition for hired mercenary units, with supplies often arriving late or incomplete due to a lack of influence on the part of the Marquis.
Elements of the First Periphery Guard deployed to Great Gorge in 3139 on a humanitarian relief mission despite Great Gorge having left the Federated Suns many years before. Tens of thousands of people had been left homeless after atypical spring rains led to flooding across large areas of New Stockton, and the Periphery Guard deployed almost twenty assorted VTOLs including a number of Bishop Transport VTOLs to deliver clean water to relief centers and to rescue survivors.
With the planetary militia in shambles a pirate group took advantage of the chaos by staging a raid, targeting the gold storeshouses located near Great Gorge's planetary spaceport. With only a single lance of BattleMechs and few ground combat vehicles from the Periphery Guard on Great Gorge, some of the VTOL crews improvised; taking shipping containers of munitions that had been intended to be a goodwill gift to the planetary militia from the AFFS, the crews rigged the munitions with detonators and proceeded to drop the containers on top of the pirate force and their Union-class DropShip at the spaceport. The explosions caused by the crates containing tons of munitions surprised the pirates, and when the loads carried by the four Bishops had been dropped, the bulk of the pirate forces had been destroyed along with their DropShip.
The database of the (apocryphal) 1989 video game MechWarrior, set around the year 3025, gives a population of 1.988 billion for Great Gorge and describes the environment as "desert" (out of only three broad impressions of planetary environments given in the game, these being "desert", "ice", or "tropical"). The description one-liner reads "Nice world rich in minerals on the edge of nowhere."
| Planets within 2 jumps (60 light-years) |
Closest planets first:
- House Davion (The Federated Suns), p. 202, "Great Gorge"
- Hot Spots Contracts, p. 2, "Crucis March Contract FC 56601-002-2"
- MechWarrior (1989 Video Game) (apocryphal)
- Handbook: House Davion, p. 18, "Federated Suns at their Founding  Map"
- Handbook: House Davion, p. 48, "Federated Suns after Age of War -  Map"
- Historical: Reunification War, p. 159, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Era Report: 2750, p. 37, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Field Manual: SLDF, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1, p. 11, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Field Report 2765: Federated Suns, p. 29, "Federated Suns Armed Forces Deployment Map - "
- Handbook: House Davion, p. 54, "Federated Suns after First Succesion War -  Map"
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 2, p. 122-123, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Handbook: House Davion, p. 60, "Federated Suns after Second Succesion War -  Map"
- House Davion (The Federated Suns), "Federated Suns Map - "
- Handbook: House Davion, p. 70, "Federated Suns after Third Succesion War -  Map"
- Handbook: House Davion, p. 72, "Federated Suns after Fourth Succesion War -  Map"
- Handbook: House Davion, p. 76, "Federated Suns after War of  -  Map"
- Historical: War of 3039, p. 133, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Era Report: 3052, p. 11, Inner Sphere -  Map
- Era Report: 3052, p. 23, Inner Sphere -  Map
- Era Report: 3062, p. 11, Inner Sphere -  Map
- Handbook: House Davion, p. 78, "Federated Suns after Operation Guerrero -  Map"
- Era Report: 3062, p. 29, Inner Sphere -  Map
- Handbook: House Davion, p. 82, "Federated Suns after FedCom Civil War -  Map"
- Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 43, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Jihad Hot Spots: 3072, p. 94
- Jihad Secrets: The Blake Documents, p. 64, "[Inner Sphere] -  Map"
- Field Report: AFFS, p. 21, "Federated Suns Armed Forces Deployment Map - [August 3079]"
- Field Report: Periphery, p. 22, "FiltVelt Coalition Region Deployment Map - [August 3079]"
- Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 63, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Field Manual: 3085, p. Vii, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Map of the Inner Sphere 3130
- Era Report: 3145, p. 11, "Inner Sphere Map - "
- Era Report: 3145, p. 39, "Inner Sphere Map - "
- Hot Spots Contracts, p. 35, "Contract FC 56601-002-2: Behind The Scenes"
- Technical Readout: 3145 Mercenaries, p. 22, "Bishop Transport VTOL"
- Era Report: 2750
- Era Report: 3052
- Era Report: 3062
- Era Report: 3145
- Field Manual: 3085
- Field Manual: 3145
- Field Manual: SLDF
- Field Report 2765: Federated Suns
- Field Report: AFFS
- Field Report: Periphery
- Handbook: House Davion
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1
- Historical: Reunification War
- Historical: War of 3039
- Hot Spots
- Hot Spots Contracts
- House Davion (The Federated Suns)
- Jihad Hot Spots: 3072
- Jihad Secrets: The Blake Documents
- Map of the Inner Sphere 3130
- Technical Readout: 3145 Mercenaries
- MechWarrior (1989 Video Game)