Heavy Wheeled APC
|Heavy Wheeled APC|
|Production Year||Early Spaceflight Era|
|Armor||Generic Standard Armor|
|Engine||Generic 100 Internal Combustion Engine|
2x Machine Guns
Armies have used armored personnel carriers (APCs) for centuries to transport troops to the front lines, which continues even in the era of Battle Armor. The Heavy Wheeled APC is a larger version of its standard counterpart, able to carry two full platoons of Infantry.
With both versions boasting the same top speed, the Heavy version is less common due to reasons of cost, but while the more common 10-ton Wheeled APC is cheaper, it can carry only a single squad of infantry. In order for an entire platoon to be deployed at a target location, a single platoon must be spread across a lance of four APCs, forcing the APCs to stay in tight formation for the insertion. The heavy model is twice as large as standard APCs and is designed to carry two full platoons of foot troopers along with their gear. This improved capacity, in addition to two tons more of armor protection, makes heavy APCs the preference of commanders who can obtain them with the majority used by the Federated Commonwealth's Regimental Combat Teams.
No more a fighting vehicle than its "standard" counterpart, the Heavy Wheeled APC carries two front-mounted Machine Guns supplied by half a ton of ammunition, carried only for defense against other infantry units. The lack of a turrent makes the APC particularly vulnerable to flanking attacks from the rear, but most can successfully unload their troops before an enemy is in position to launch such an attack.
- This is an anti-infantry version of the APC, which was introduced during the Star League era. The infantry bay is reduced to a 3 ton capacity, while 4 more Machine Guns are added to the vehicle. A single Machine Gun is added to the right and left sides, while the rear is given 2. The vehicle's ammunition capacity is brought up to 300 rounds. BV (2.0) = 213
- The Word of Blake during the Jihad refitted the original Heavy Wheeled APC for their infantry forces. The design was a modest upgrade which included some Advanced Tech enhancements to its offensive capabilities. First the vehicle's ICE engine was replaced with an XL Fusion Engine, this increased the vehicle's speed to 110 K/ph. While retaining its 6 ton Infantry Bay capacity, the vehicle's front-mounted machine guns were replaced with pair of Small VSP Lasers. The XL Engine allowed for additional armor to be added to the front and sides. BV (2.0) = 330
 Related Vehicles
- ↑ MUL online date for the Heavy Wheeled APC
- ↑ Record Sheets: 3060 Unabridged, p. 23
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 Technical Readout: 3060, pp. 12-13, "Vehicle Profile"
- ↑ Record Sheets: 3060 Unabridged, p. 24 - New PDF Record Sheet only variant with proper BV 2.0 value given.
- ↑ Record Sheets: 3060 Unabridged, p. 26
- ↑ Record Sheets: 3060 Unabridged, p. 25
- ↑ Record Sheets: 3060 Unabridged, p. 27 - WoB has its own variant of the Wheeled type Heavy APC.