Kilbourne Periphery March Militia
- Harmony Gold and Piranha Games Have Settled - Probably
- The Succession Wars and so much more…
- MechWarrior Online World Championship Tournament Announced With Stock ‘Mech Restriction
- BattleTech Devs Talk About Making Game On A Budget
- Catalyst's BattleTech Lead Brent Evans Interviewed On Upcoming Box Sets
- Read more →
|Kilbourne Periphery March Militia|
|Unit Profile (as of 3085)|
|Parent Formation||Periphery March Militia|
The Kilbourne Draconis March Militia was responsible for defending the worlds of the Kilbourne Combat Region and Kilbourne Polymorphous Defense Zone.
In common with the other March Militias found across the Federated Suns, the Kilbourne Draconis March Militia or Kilbourne DMM was formed in 2754 as a result of the Preparedness Act enacted by First Prince Roger Davion in 2735. Roger established a formal training program aimed at increasing the general readiness level of the Armed Forces of the Federated Suns reserve forces and formalized the structure of the March Militias, bringing the planetary militias into a common structure.
Roger established a system whereby each of the Marches within the Federated Suns conducted internal wargames every two years, with those wargames being inspired by the Martial Olympiad conducted by the Star League Defense Force every four years. Each March Militia was formed as an ad-hoc brigade drawing on the winners from each planetary militia across each Combat Region. These ad hoc brigades then competed against each other at a March level to earn the title of "Best Prepared" March Militia within each of the three Marches.
The wargames proved to be very popular and by 2750 the prestige that was associated with the "Best Prepared" title inspired troops in every combat region to give their best effort, with some commands making plans years in advance to try and ensure that they were ready. After the close of the 2754 games First Prince John Davion activated all of the combat region commands as federal troops and formed them into the March Militias; while this move was controversial and provoked a flurry of judicial cases opposing the creation of the commands, it also added twenty BattleMech-equipped combat commands to the AFFS in a single stroke. Many of the planets that provided troops for the games were resentful of having their best militia troops pressed into federal service, and it would be 2763 before the last of the cases worked its way through the courts. With the final ruling going in favor of Prince John, he then moved to allay many of the fears expressed by the planets involved by laying down specific instructions that the March Militias wouldn't be deployed outside their home combat regions except under a small number of very rare and clearly-defined exceptions.
Firmly established, the Kilbourne DMM acted as a mobile reserve for the Kilbourne Combat Region and a staging ground through which planetary militia soldiers could move on into the AFFS, while retiring AFFS personnel moved into the March Militia to pass on their knowledge and experience. The Kilbourne DMM was one of six March Militia brigades founded within the Capellan March in 2754, with the other five being the Clovis, Dahar, Fairfax, Robinson and Woodbine Draconis March Militias.
First Succession War
On the 1st of May 2787 the Draconis Combine launched a massive invasion of the Federated Suns, with the Draconis Combine Mustered Soldiery troops under the command of Jinjiro Kurita, son of the Coordinator. Jinjiro had learned from the battles on Towne earlier in the First Succession War, and had recognized that inter-arm cooperation between the different branches of the Federated Suns military had largely been replaced by rivalry, and that the various Combat Regions across the Federated Suns had become dangerously parochial, with units being very protective of worlds within their Combat Region but the staff of the various Combat Regions rarely coordinating or cooperating with each other. Jinjiro's forces took full advantage of that; his first wave attacked worlds along the border, overwhelming many before they had a chance to call for help. Each of the Combat Region commanding officers attempted to deal with the attacks on their own, focused completely on the defense of their own Combat Region with little exchange of information between Regions. Jinjiro's second wave capitalized on this, striking in force against the Clovis Combat Region; despite a dogged, fierce defense by Field Marshal Simons and forces directly under his command such as the First Clovis Guards Regiment on Clovis he was cut off and, after a week, killed when his DropShip attempted to retreat from the planet. The loss of Smith caused organized resistance in the Clovis Combat Region to collapse, and before the other senior officers within the AFFS had realized what happened, DCMS forces poured through the Clovis Combat Region and deep into the heart of the Federated Suns.
It would be thirty years before the AFFS had finally recovered and fought its way back to something approximating the pre-War border; the risk posed to the Federated Suns as a result of the entrenched parochialism and separation between Combat Regions highlighted the weaknesses of the system within the Capellan and Draconis Marches, leading the Marshals of the AFFS to restructure both Marches, replacing the Combat Regions with a number of smaller Polymorophous Defensive Zones (PDZs), each with its own March Militia.
Third Succession War
Clan Invasion Era
The Kilbourne Draconis March Militia oversees the Draconis March's border with the "wild" Periphery. As a result, the troops of this command are skilled in anti-piracy operations. Their high operational tempo has seen them fight on many worlds in their area of responsibility, and the protected worlds populations love the troops of the Kilbourne DMM for their protection. Unfortunately this high operational tempo means that the Kilbourne DMM suffered from the largest casualty rate of any DMM command.
In addition, several notable failures to drive off raiding pirates led to some people leveling charges of colluding with the enemy against the unit. Several internal investigations in the mid-3060's returned no evidence of such behavior, but the investigations did cause the morale of the unit to drop.
FedCom Civil War
During the FedCom Civil War the Kilbourne DMM was quickly assaulted and disarmed by the First Crucis Lancers. This swift attack prevented the unit from supporting Katherine Steiner-Davion. The Lancers left the Kilbourne DMM with enough weapons to defend their world, but no transport assets to support other Loyalist forces.
During the Jihad the Kilbourne DMM faced off against a combined Clan Snow Raven/Outworlds Alliance task force. The Kilbourne DMM set up such a ferocious defense that the Snow Ravens and Alliance forces sued for peace.
With the formation of the Periphery March the Kilbourne DMM was renamed the Kilbourne Periphery March Militia. The unit remains ready to repulse any more Snow Raven forces, but the unit is slightly understrength after losing several units during pirate hunting actions.
With the unit's focus on defending against raiding pirates, it is adept in small-unit operations. This specialization has a downside however as a High Command evaluation indicated that the Kilbourne DMM would have severe problems operating in any formation larger than a battalion.
Kilbourne Draconis March Militia (Regular/Reliable)
- - One BattleMech regiment
- - Two armor regiments
- - Three infantry regiments
- - One mobile artillery battalion
- - Two aerospace wings, each of eighteen aerospace fighters
- - The Kilbourne DMM was stationed on Delos IV at this point in time.
Kilbourne Draconis March Militia (Green/Reliable)
- CO: Major General Wesley French
Kilbourne DMM (Green/Reliable)
- CO: Leftenant General Mariva Kelly
- CO: Lieutenant General Mariva Kelly
- CO: Lieutenant General Cerice May
Kilbourne DMM Armor Brigade (2 Regiments/Regular/Reliable)
- CO: Lieutenant General Kolino Black
Kilbourne DMM Infantry Brigade (5 Regiments/Green/Reliable)
- CO: Lieutenant General Andrea James
Kilbourne Dracons March Militia (Regular/Reliable)
- CO: Major General E. J. Hannah
Kilbourne DMM Aerospace Brigade (Regular/Questionable)
- CO: Leftenant General Omar Grund)
Kilbourne DMM Armor Brigade (Regular/Reliable)
- CO: Leftenant General George Sian)
Kilbourne DMM Infantry Brigade (Green/Reliable)
- CO: Leftenant General Wilin Popina
Kilbourne PMM LCT (Regular/Reliable)
- CO: Leftenant General Frederick Eiler
Kilbourne PMM Aerospace Brigade (Green/Reliable)
- CO: Leftenant General Ilya Kuznetsov
Kilbourne PMM Armor Brigade (Regular/Reliable)
- CO: Leftenant General Astin Bonnet
Kilbourne PMM Infantry Brigade (Green/Reliable)
- CO: Leftenant General Dorcas Chapman
- Field Report 2765: Federated Suns, p. 21, "Federated Suns March Militias"
- Field Report 2765: Federated Suns, p. 22, "Regimental Status"
- House Davion (The Federated Suns), p. 62, "The Storm Breaks (pdf edition)"
- House Davion (The Federated Suns), p. 67, "March Militia and Planetary Guard Units (pdf edition)"
- House Davion (The Federated Suns), p. 135, "Deployment of AFFS Forces (pdf edition)"
- Technical Readout: 3039, p. 56
- Field Manual: Federated Suns, p. 122, "Kilbourne Draconis March Militia Profile"
- Field Manual: Updates, p. 135
- Field Report: AFFS, p. 18
- Field Manual: 3085, p. 67
- House Davion (The Federated Suns), p. 137 (pdf version), "Kilbourne PDZ"
- 20 Year Update, p. 20, "AFFC Deployment Table - 3050"
- Objective Raids, p. 14, "AFFC Deployment Table - 3054"
- Field Manual: Update, p. 141, "AFFS Deployment Table - 3067"
- Field Manual: 3085, p. 72, "AFFS Deployment Table - 3085"
- Field Report 2765: Federated Suns, p. 29, "Armed Forces Federated Suns Deployment Map 2765"
- Historical: War of 3039, p. 137