The CSV Manchester was the second of class vessel within the Suffren class to be produced after the Precentor Martial, Anastasius Focht, restarted ComStar's WarShip programme during ComStar's Reformation period after the Clan Invasion. The CSV Manchester was reported to have been considered a second prototype for the Suffren class, and in 3059 was rumoured to be under construction inside the Faslane-class CSV Plymouth at either the Luyten 68-28 or Ross 248 naval base.
The Manchester had entered service by 3062 and was serving as a part of the Com Guard Second Fleet operating out of the naval base at Ross 248. The CSV Manchester was still in service with ComStar in 3067, but was subsequently deployed on the abortive Case White attack on Terra in March 3068; The Manchester was lost during the battle in the Sol system, and the Word of Blake attempted to salvage the ship; while the Manchester wasn't completely salvaged, it had been returned to a partially operational state in time to defend the Titan Yards from Task Force CRONUS during the campaign to liberate Terra, Operation SCOUR.
The partial repair of the Manchester in time for Operation SCOUR was confirmed by one of the BattleTech Developers:
|“||The Deathblow was part of the ComGuard fleet. It was lost at Terra during Case White, and was later salvaged enough that it was partially operational in time for the Coalition attack on Terra along with (IIRC) two other ComGuard vessels, the Manchester and the Narbonne. (I had forgotten we did that, sorry).||”|
|— Øystein Tvedten, BattleTech Developer, 18 Jan 2013|
- Technical Readout: 3057, p. 124, "Suffren (Destroyer)"
- Technical Readout: 3057R, p. 122, "Suffren (Destroyer)"
- Explorer Corps, p. 106, "Faslane Class Yard-Ship"
- Field Manual: ComStar, p. 44, "The WarShip Fleet"
- Field Manual: Updates, p. 83, "ComStar Naval Assets"
- Dawn of the Jihad, p. 89, p. 91, "Case White Underway!"
- Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 128, "Word of Blake Naval Assets"
- Øystein Tvedten, BattleTech Developer, 18 Jan 2013