Mars (Combat Vehicle)
|Mars Assault Vehicle|
|Armor||Compound Zeta Ferro-Fibrous|
|Communications System||Q2 Block 9|
|Targeting Tracking System||Series XXXII Multitrack IWS w/Artemis IV FCS|
The Mars Assault Vehicle is one of the premier combat vehicles that the Clans field. It was designed as part of the pro-vehicle initiative from ilKhan Jerome Winson in the 2840s. A massive tank, the Mars is named after the Roman god of war. The slow vehicle can only muster a top speed of 32 km/h, so it has eleven and a half tons of Ferro-Fibrous armor to protect it. Also protecting the Mars is an ECM Suite that impacts enemy electronics within range.
Weapons and Equipment
With over half its mass dedicated to weaponry, the Mars is capable of swiftly dispatching enemy units. Its slow speed necessitates the use of long-range weapons. As such, it carries a CRG Gauss Rifle and Series 7N ER Large Laser to snipe with. Both of these weapons are mounted in the tank's turret, giving them the maximum possible field of fire. A Type KOV LB-X Autocannon/10 gives it additional power, as well as the ability to cripple enemies with its cluster munitions, especially VTOLs. Three LRM-15s, each of which is slaved to an Artemis IV Fire Control System, add even more damage potential at range, though a ton of ammunition for each limits the amount of times they can be utilized. Defensively, each side is protected by a Pattern J6c Streak SRM-6, and two Series IX Machine Guns are in the turret to cut down unarmored infantry.
- ATM - This variants keeps the Gauss Rifle and machine guns, but removes the rest of the weaponry. The missile launchers are replaced with three ATM 9s. Nine tons of ammunition keep them in good supply at all ranges. The laser is swapped out for a Heavy Large Laser that is more damaging at the expense of range and accuracy. The Streak missile launchers are downgraded to Streak SRM-4s. BV (1.0) = 1,489, BV (2.0) = 1,948
- HAG - This is a Jihad era variant which firepower centers in use of the new Hyperassault Gauss Rifle. The vehicle retain's the XL model's engine, but is as slow as the original. The vehicle is the most armored version of the Mars. The vehicle's two Streak SRM 6s are dropped complete, to make room for the new Class 30 Hyper Assault Gauss Rifle and its 12 rounds of ammunition. The vehicle retains its original's Gauss Rifle & ER Larger Laser. The machine guns are replaced with pair of AP Gauss Rifles with 40 rounds of ammunition. As with all version of the tank, the vehicle retains its ECM Suite. BV (2.0) = 2,545
- XL - Showing that Clan Hell's Horses spares no expense for its front-line conventional forces, the Mars XL exchanges the fusion engine for an extralight. Removing the machine guns and half-ton of armor allows an increase in the speed to 54 km/h. BV (1.0) = 2,029, BV (2.0) = 2,520
- MUL online date for the Mars (Combat Vehicle)
- Combat Operations, p. 108
- Record Sheets: 3060 Unabridged, p. 98
- Technical Readout: 3060, pp. 68-69, "Mars Vehicle Profile"
- Record Sheets: 3060 Unabridged, p. 99
- Record Sheets 3067, p. 22
- Record Sheets: 3060 Unabridged, p. 100 - HAG version of the Mars only found in the RS:3060u.
- Combat Operations, p. 110
- Record Sheets: 3060 Unabridged, p. 101