|Manufacturer||New Kent Orbiter D7|
|Power Plant||165 Fusion|
|Communications System||Masters 400|
|Tracking & Targeting System||DST Model 316/4|
|Heat Sinks||16 Double Heat Sinks|
Barely entering service with the SLDF prior to Operation Exodus, the effective Corsair was much admired but had all but disappeared among Kerensky's exiles when the Clans were formed. Seeking to produce a home-grown version, after numerous enhancements and capability changes Clan Steel Viper designers developed the Tyre which formed a large part of the Vipers' aerospace fleet until the introduction of OmniFighters.
Trading speed for firepower, the Tyre is a resilient and economical craft. Rather than being seen as a negative, the designers kept the speed high enough to keep up with DropShips it was intended to escort, while low enough to discourage pilots from being drawn away. Seven and a half tons of standard Formula TSF armor allow the Tyre to weather heavy weapons fire, and sixteen double heat sinks allow it give as good as it gets.
Weapons and Equipment
While relatively slow, the Tyre boasts an impressively powerful, if short-ranged weapons array built around the Type 9a Ultra AC/10 mounted in its nose supported by seven Medium Pulse Lasers, three also in the nose and two per wing. Three tons of reloads give the Ultra Autocannon reasonable endurance, while a single rear facing ER Small Laser discourages pursuit.
- Tyre 3
- This version of the Tyre was built by Janesek Industries on Orestes. The weapons of the standard Tyre were replaced by a nose mounted LRM-20 mated to Artemis V FCS, a pair of ER Medium Lasers in the nose, while each wing received an Improved Heavy Large Laser. To cover the rear arc, engineers installed a Laser Anti-Missile System. The standard armor of the Tyre was replaced by Ferro-Aluminum. Though it provides powerful fire, the twelve double heat sinks are inadequate to dissipate all the heat generated. BV (2.0) = 1,499
- Tyre Michiko
- This variant of the Tyre was developed by Clan Blood Spirit during their fight with Clan Star Adder on York. This Tyre removes the standard engine in favor of larger 275 model which increases the fighter's speed by almost 40%. The armor protection has been upgraded to ten tons. The nose-mounted weapons bay was destroyed, so technicians replaced the autocannon with a Streak SRM-6 and a pair of Heavy Medium Lasers. BV (1.0) = 1,789
- MUL online date for the Tyre
- Combat Operations, p. 109
- Technical Readout: 3067, pp. 164-165
- AeroTech 2 Record Sheets, p. 97
- Record Sheets: 3067 Unabridged, p. 292
- AeroTech 2 Record Sheets, p. 98
- Record Sheets: 3067 Unabridged, p. 293
- Technical Readout: Prototypes, p. 194
- Technical Readout: Prototypes, p. 195
- Record Sheets: Prototypes, p. 89
- Record Sheets: Unique Fighters, p. 4