- Did You Know? - Fan made TRO 3028 is better than the originals!
- BattleTech Technology - Today!
- Someone did the math on how many 'Mechs you kill in MechWarrior 3
- A chat with MechWarrior Online Champs: Empyreal's prtNspz - Full Interview
- Unstoppable: A chat with MechWarrior Online Champs, Empyreal's prtNspz
- Read more →
The Wolfhound IIC is the rebuilt version of "Grinner", Phelan Kell's Wolfhound BattleMech. It is unclear whether this design ever achieved full production, and the only version of it known to be in existence is his. In authorizing the upgrade, Khan Ulric Kerensky spared no expense. It uses an Endo Steel internal structure and an XL Engine to save weight, while also mounting six and a half tons of Ferro-Fibrous armor, the most that can be squeezed onto the chassis. An ECM Suite provides additional defense against enemy electronics. 
Weapons and Equipment
A direct upgrade of the Wolfhound, its IIC version has better range, damage, and heat control. Its largest and longest-range gun is the arm-mounted ER Large Laser. A trio of torso-mounted Medium Pulse Lasers provide accurate firepower, while a rear-mounted ER Medium Laser worries any 'Mech that gets behind the IIC. Fourteen double heat sinks are enough to keep heat levels at a minimum as long as the rear-mounted laser does not see use. The design team charged with rebuilding Grinner were initially set on using some of the weight savings of the Clan technology to mount an Anti-Missile System in the design, but the technicians ultimately decided that it would go against the design specification of the Wolfhound as an all-energy weapon platform, without ammunition concerns, to mount one. 
Though technically a one-of-kind design, a number of sources posit entirely different weapon arrays from the canon loadout above:
- More Tales of the Black Widow - This book's version of the Wolfhound IIC was armed with a Large Pulse Laser and four Medium Pulse Lasers. Mounting an ECM Suite in the head, six tons of Ferro-Fibrous armor protects the 'Mech.
- WLF-GR Grinner
- Rather than a mixtech or purely Clantech design, MechWarrior Online's version of Phelan Ward's Grinner is an entirely Inner Sphere technology replication of the main features of the Wolfhound IIC - an IS grade ER Large Laser in the right arm is supported by four forward facing standard Medium Lasers - two in the center torso and one in each side torso. Carrying a IS standard Endo Steel frame and just ten IS double heat sinks free up weight to also mount a Guardian ECM Suite.
The pilot of the original, and only confirmed version, Phelan Kell is one of the best-known MechWarriors in history. Phelan piloted his Wolfhound IIC, "Grinner", to victory over Vlad Ward in his bid to earn a Bloodname, becoming the youngest ever to do so. By 3059, however, Kell (now Khan of Clan Wolf-in-Exile) had abandoned Grinner in favor of a Gladiator.
- MUL online date for the Wolfhound IIC
- Tukayyid (scenario pack), p. 10, "Wolfhound II C"
- Record Sheets: 3050 Upgrades Unabridged (Inner Sphere), p. 70
- More Tales of the Black Widow, p. 61
- MechWarrior Online Resistance Heroes Sale Page