|Manufacturer||TharHes Industries |
|Communications System||O/P Com-22/H47|
|Targeting Tracking System||Digital Scanlok 347|
|Heat Sinks||10 Double heat sinks|
A light, rugged, and dependable design, the Wolfhound made its first appearance in 3028. Following the success of the Hatchetman designed in partnership with the Federated Suns, Archon Katrina Steiner ordered TharHes Industries to produce a BattleMech to address a persistent problem of the Lyran Commonwealth Armed Forces: hunting down and destroying the Panther and Jenner, swift light-weight 'Mechs of the Draconis Combine which had embarrassed the LCAF one too many times. The final design was a light 'Mech with an all-energy weapons payload effective at a variety of combat ranges, the maximum amount of armor for a 'Mech of its weight class, and the use of mostly standard components to keep costs down.
Due to their fierce loyalty to House Steiner, the Kell Hounds were the first unit chosen to field test the Wolfhound in combat, followed shortly thereafter by Wolf's Dragoons. The design received its baptism of fire during the Fourth Succession War where it exceeded all expectations and performed brilliantly. This was especially true when the Wolfhound faced its intended targets, hitting the Jenner beyond its ability to return fire while closing the distance on the Panther to get within the minimum range of its primary weapon. With the successful end of the war the Federated Commonwealth ordered larger numbers of Wolfhounds to outfit its military and the design was used again during the War of 3039. Wolfhounds suffered far fewer casualties than other 'Mechs during that conflict and a mere handful fell into the hands of the Combine. While impressed with the 'Mech the Kuritans were too prideful to copy it themselves, instead using captured examples to help develop the Wolf Trap to specifically counter the 'Mech.
Eventually Arc-Royal MechWorks was brought in to produce Wolfhounds under license from TharHes, and the recovery of Lostech thanks to the Helm Memory Core allowed for a more advanced variant to be produced to combat the Clan Invasion. Unfortunately the necessary retooling of TharHes' factories to produce the WLF-2 model, introduced in 3052, took too long before ComStar brought an end to the invasion with the Battle of Tukayyid. These newer Wolfhounds continued to be produced for both FedCom member states, although following the formal creation of the Lyran Alliance the TharHes factories began producing the newer WLF-3S model. This new variant was shipped only to units loyal to the Lyran state, and thus fought on the side of Katherine Steiner-Davion during the FedCom Civil War. During the Jihad the Word of Blake launched a devastating assault on Tharkad, effectively shutting down TharHes' Wolfhound factory line; in response Arc-Royal increased production and introduced the WLF-4 model to replace the losses suffered by allied forces fighting the Blakists.
Weapons and Equipment
As a "laser boat" the Wolfhound's very basic weapons array frees it from supply lines and allows for superior endurance during extended campaigns. The primary long-range weapon is a Cyclops XII ER Large Laser mounted in the right arm, which allows the Wolfhound to strike at ranges of nearly 600 meters. As secondary weapons for close combat, the Wolfhound is armed with four Defiance B3M Medium Lasers. Three of these are split between the right, center, and left torso, while the fourth is mounted in the center-rear in case any 'Mech tries to exploit this traditional blind spot.
Ten double heat sinks allow for superior heat management, while seven and a half tons of armor provide excellent protection. While the majority of the components used in the Wolfhound are Lyran in origin, the use of a Full-Head Ejection System required the help of the Federated Suns. Countless MechWarrior lives have been saved thanks to this system's ability to operate in traditionally hostile environments.
- The original Wolfhound model, produced from 3028 until the introduction of the WLF-2 variant. The pre-Helm Memory Core WLF-1's primary weapon is a standard Setanta Large Laser, making its striking distance shorter than that of the later model, while its ten standard heat sinks did not dissipate as much waste heat as the newer double heat sinks used on the WLF-2. BV (1.0) = 736, BV (2.0) = 949
- This is a production model of the WLF-2X described below, introduced in 3082. To ease production, the Actuator Enhancement System has been removed and replaced by an extra heat sink. The Reflective Armor has been replaced by the standard armor available anywhere in the Inner Sphere. The Heavy PPC retains the PPC Capacitor, and the XL Engine retains the Supercharger that allows for impressive speed boosts. A pair of ER Medium Lasers and an ER Small Laser round out the weapons. BV (2.0) = 1,511
- Developed by Arc-Royal MechWorks in the midst of the Jihad, the extensively modified WLF-2X variant utilizes experimental technology. Using an Endo Steel chassis and an extra-light engine to save weight, the 2X's main weapon is a right-arm mounted Heavy PPC enhanced by both a PPC Capacitor and an Actuator Enhancement System. The torso mounted weapons remain lasers - specifically, two ER Medium Lasers and a single ER Small Laser - while ten double heat sinks allow it to keep their increased thermal output in check. Enhanced defensive protection comes in the form of supercharger-enhanced speed and cosmetically styled Laser Reflective Armor. BV (2.0) = 2,017
- The 3S variant, introduced in 3064, sacrifices some of the 'Mech's durability for an increase in firepower. The 'Mech is powered by a Light Fusion Engine which frees up space on the chassis for new equipment. The ER large laser has been removed and replaced with an ER PPC, extending its range even further. The medium lasers have been replaced with three forward facing ER medium lasers and a rear facing ER small laser. Finally, the chassis is now built using Endo Steel and the 'Mech has two additional double heat sinks to help handle the much heavier heat burden. BV (1.0)= 944, BV (2.0)= 1,179
- A post-Jihad variant produced on Arc-Royal alongside the WLF-4W in 3079, the WLF-5 is built on an Endo Steel frame and is powered by the larger 245 rated XL Engine to increase its ground speed by 20 km/h, capable of almost 150 km/h in short bursts due to the inclusion of MASC. Replacing the armament of lasers with an array of PPCs; a right-arm mounted Hound's-tooth Snub-Nose PPC is supported by a pair of torso-mounted Defiance 1002 Light PPCs. BV (2.0) = 1,290
- WLF-1 Allard
- Personal 'Mech of Daniel Allard, commander of the Kell Hounds mercenary unit. With close ties to Clan Wolf-in-Exile, this Wolfhound was built in 3062 using Clan technology. It includes a Clan extralight engine, twelve double heat sinks and Clan weaponry: an ER PPC in the right arm and three ER medium lasers split between the torso, while the rear-center torso mounts an ER small laser. All of these weapons are tied to a Targeting Computer for superior accuracy. BV (2.0) = 1,941
These variants were introduced in various apocryphal sources, and thus far have not appeared in any canonical media.
From MechWarrior Online:
- WLF-GR Grinner
- Rather than a mixtech or purely Clantech design, MechWarrior Online's version of Phelan Ward's Grinner is an entirely Inner Sphere technology replication of the main features of the Wolfhound IIC - an IS grade ER Large Laser in the right arm is supported by four forward facing standard Medium Lasers - two in the center torso and one in each side torso. Carrying a IS standard Endo Steel frame and just ten IS double heat sinks free up weight to also mount a Guardian ECM Suite.
- Wolf Trap - The Draconis Combine designed the medium Wolftrap specifically to counter the Wolfhound. It shares the Wolfhound's movement profile, but is far more reliant on ammunition-consuming weapons.
Famous individuals in the BattleTech universe who piloted Wolfhounds include:
- Daniel Allard, who received one of the prototypes in 3028 after the destruction of his Valkyrie in 3027. Originally a stock WLF-1 model, it was later upgraded to WLF-2 standard and finally with Clan-tech weapons salvaged from the Battle of Luthien. Allard continued to pilot his Wolfhound even after rising to overall command of the Kell Hounds up until his death on Graceland in 3069 during combat against Clan Jade Falcon.
- Phelan Kell, son of Morgan Kell, also piloted a Wolfhound while serving with the Hounds until his capture by Clan Wolf in 3049. After being dissected and studied by Clan scientists, when Phelan was granted full warrior status Khan Ulric Kerensky authorized the reconstruction of his Wolfhound to become the aforementioned Wolfhound IIC variant.
- The WLF-2H Wolfhound variant is subject of the following Design Quirks:
- Cooling System Flaws
- Easy to Maintain
- Rumble Seat
- MUL online date for the Wolfhound
- Technical Readout: 3050 Upgrade, p. 32-33
- Technical Readout: 3039, p. 226-227
- Starterbook: Sword and Dragon, p.28
- Record Sheets: 3039 Unabridged, p. 388
- Record Sheets: 3039 Unabridged, p. 389
- Technical Readout: Prototypes, p. 105
- Experimental Technical Readout: Mercs, p. 3, 16
- Technical Readout: 3085, p. 68, "WLF-5 Wolfhound"
- Record Sheets: 3085 Unabridged - The Cutting Edge, p. 101
- Record Sheets: Upgrades, p. 57
- Master Unit List: Battle Values, p. 169
- Starterbook: Wolf and Blake, pp. 28, 95.
- Technical Readout: 3085, p. 69, "WLF-5 Wolfhound"
- Record Sheets: 3050 Unabridged (Inner Sphere), p.71
- MechWarrior Online Resistance Heroes Sale Page
- Experimental Technical Readout: Mercs
- Master Unit List: Battle Values
- MechWarrior Online - Resistance Heroes Sale Page
- Record Sheets: 3050
- Record Sheets: 3050 Upgrade (Inner Sphere)
- Record Sheets: 3085 Unabridged - The Cutting Edge
- Record Sheets: Upgrades
- Starterbook: Sword and Dragon
- Starterbook: Wolf and Blake
- Technical Readout: 3039
- Technical Readout: 3050
- Technical Readout: 3050 Upgrade
- Technical Readout: Prototypes
- Wolf's Dragoons
- MechWarrior: Dark Age's Dossier Stormhammer officer Tamara Duke
- MechWarrior: Dark Age's Knight of the Sphere Marcel Thennes