Taurus Territorial Industries
|Chassis||Chariot Type II|
|Communications System||TharHes Thalia HM-22|
|Targeting Tracking System||TharHes Ares-8a|
|Jump Jets||Luxor 2/Q|
|BV (2.0)||854 |
Introduced in 3023 during the Succession Wars, the Hatchetman was a very distinctive 'Mech because, as its name suggests, it carries a 'Mech sized Hatchet. As well as being the first design to carry one, the Hatchetman itself was the first totally new BattleMech produced in the Inner Sphere in over a century, and was also the first production 'Mech to use a Full-Head Ejection System. Despite being first manufactured in the Lyran Commonwealth, the Hatchetman was actually designed by Dr. Banzai of the Federated Suns' New Avalon Institute of Science. Popular in both realms, following its selection as one of the standard 'Mechs of the Federated Commonwealth and with Defiance Industries unable to keep up with the increased demand for it during the Clan Invasion, the company licensed its production to Johnston Industries to supply units in Davion space.
The Hatchetman's heavier than usual weapons payload and Hatchet, combined with its jumping capability of up to one hundred and twenty meters, makes the design a monster within the confines of a city. While nearly unmatched in this niche, the Hatchetman fares less well on open terrain, clad in a relatively light six and half tons of armor and pedestrian top speed of 64.8 km/h.
 Weapons and Equipment
Aside from its Hatchet, the Hatchetman carries a Defiance Killer Autocannon/10 supplied with two tons of ammunition as its primary ranged weapon, which allows the 'Mech to be effective in both stand up fights in front line combat and in the concrete jungle of a city. As secondary weapons, the Hatchetman carries two Defiance B3M Medium Lasers.
- The Hatchetman 5D is a rugged and deadly variant of the 'Mech. The 5D uses an extralight engine for power and is armed with an Ultra Autocannon/10 as its primary weapon and carries a single ER Medium Laser as a back up weapon. This destructive power is harnessed by adding a targeting computer to allow the 'Mech to use its weapons with deadly accuracy. BV (1.0) = 1,075, BV (2.0) = 1,012
- The Draconis Combine captured many HCT-3Fs, but could not convince their samurai to pilot a 'Mech that wielded a "barbaric" ax. It would be many years before the Combine engineers developed the Sword, and even more until they modified their Hatchetmen to utilize it. Developed by Independence Weaponry, the 5K is protected by nine tons of armor and swaps out the signature Hatchet for a more elegant and accurate Sword. Like the 5S, the 5K utilizes an XL Engine and upgrades the arm-mounted Medium Lasers to pulse models, though it swaps out the torso laser for an extended-range version. The autocannon is replaced with a cheap and deadly MRM-30. The 5K also carries a C3 Slave Unit to feed targeting data back to lancemates. The 5K makes use of double heat sinks.  BV (2.0) = 1,070
- The 5S is an upgrade of the 3F model. The 5S replaces the fusion engine with an extralight engine. The weapons have also been stripped from the chassis and upgraded. The Autocannon has been replaced with a Defiance Disintegrator LB-X Autocannon/10 and the Medium Lasers have been replaced with three Defiance P5M Medium Pulse Lasers. Finally, the Hatchetman has been re-armored with eight and a half tons of Ferro-Fibrous armor and also includes CASE to protect the LB-X Autocannon's single ton of reloads in the event of an ammunition explosion.  BV (1.0) = 826, BV (2.0) = 1,039
- The 6D Hatchetman is a variant with a decidedly Davion flair. The 'Mech is powered by an extralight engine that propels the 'Mech up to speeds of up to 86.4 km/h and can jump up to one hundred and fifty meters. The 'Mech is armed with a Mydron Tornado Rotary Autocannon/5 as its primary weapon. This is backed up by a trio of Diverse Optics ER Medium Lasers and, for protection against electronic warfare systems, it has a Guardian ECM Suite.  BV (1.0) = 1,424, BV (2.0) = 1,611
- Produced from ex-Lyran trophies by the FWLM after early stages of the Jihad, this version of the 5S variant has medium pulse lasers and the trademark hatchet and adds a Beagle Active Probe. The main firepower for this variant comes from a Heavy PPC housed in the right torso. The 5S' CASE system has been omitted. BV (2.0) = 1,274
- Developed during the Jihad, this Hatchetman variant has an expanded role beyond urban combat. By using a larger Light Engine, designers increased the 'Mech's cruising speed by 25% and added another jump jet to increase the jump range by 25%. The biggest change is in the 'Mech's armament. The traditional autocannon is replaced by a single MML-9 and three tons of ammunition. A Guardian ECM Suite disrupts enemy electronics. Ferro-Fibrous Armor and CASE protect the 'Mech from weapons fire and an ammunition explosion. BV (2.0) = 1,243
 Custom Variants
- HCT-3F Hatchetman Austin
- Originally assigned to the NAIS Training Cadres, it was selected as a NAIS technology test bed before being assigned to Fox's Teeth member Austin Vorster in the lead-up to the War of 3039. Mounting a NAIS Mk. 1 LB 10-X Autocannon prototype saved enough weight to add a third medium laser, moving all three to the left arm to avoid inhibiting use of the 'Mechs hatchet. 
- HCT-5S Hatchetman Austin
- Receiving a 3050s era 5S model after the Fox's Teeth's faced Clan Jade Falcon on Wotan in 3051, Austin Vorster had it refitted in the lead-up to the FedCom Civil War. Almost identical to the 6S created by the Lyran Alliance in the conflict, the only significant difference is the placement of all ER Medium Lasers in the 'Mechs left arm. 
 Notable Pilots
- Kai Allard-Liao was piloting a Hatchetman during his stunning victory over the Falcon Guard at the Great Gash on Twycross in 3050.  
- Tara Campbell's signature 'Mech is a Hatchetman which she pilots regularly during the MechWarrior: Dark Age books.
- General Jessica Quarles of the Davion Light Guards RCT piloted the 6D variant during the FedCom Civil War.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 Technical Readout: 3025, p. 48
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 Technical Readout: 3039, p . 228-229 "HCT-3F Hatchetman"
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 Technical Readout: 3050 Upgrade, p . 48 "HCT-5S Hatchetman"
- ↑ Record Sheets: MechWarrior Dark Age I, p. 51
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 Master Unit List: Battle Values, p. 106
- ↑ Technical Readout: 3050 Upgrade, p. 49
- ↑ Record Sheets: MechWarrior Dark Age I, p. 52
- ↑ Record Sheets: Upgrades, p. 75
- ↑ Record Sheets: 3085 Unabridged - The Cutting Edge, p. 114
- ↑ Technical Readout: 3085, p. 77
- ↑ Starterbook: Sword and Dragon, p. 22, 94
- ↑ Starterbook: Sword and Dragon, p. 108
- ↑ Blood of Kerensky Omnibus Epub, pp. 289-299 "Lethal Heritage - Chapter Thirty-Six"
- ↑ Lethal Heritage, p.??
- Lethal Heritage (Novel)
- Master Unit List: Battle Values
- MWDA Bannson's Raiders' dossier of Dianna "Dagger Di" Jones
- MWDA Dragoon's Fury's dossier of Tomoko Nagasawa
- Record Sheets: 3025 & 3026
- Record Sheets: 3039
- Record Sheets: 3050
- Record Sheets: 3050 Upgrade (Inner Sphere)
- Record Sheets: 3085 Unabridged - The Cutting Edge
- Record Sheets: MechWarrior Dark Age I
- Record Sheets: Upgrades
- Starterbook: Sword and Dragon
- Technical Readout: 3025
- Technical Readout: 3025 Revised
- Technical Readout: 3039
- Technical Readout: 3050
- Technical Readout: 3050 Revised
- Technical Readout: 3050 Upgrade
- Technical Readout: 3085