Shadow Cat II
- Community Outreach - Tex Talks BattleTech
- Clan Invasion Approaches $2 Million Stretch Goal, Teases UrbanMech Plushie
- What’s up with Catalyst? at GenCon 2019
- MechWarrior 5 Confirmed As Epic Games Store Exclusive
- Clan Invasion Boxed Set Funded In 7 Freakin’ Minutes, Catalyst Frantically Throwing Up Stretch Goals
- Read more →
|Shadow Cat II|
|Mass||60 tons[[Category:60 ton BattleMechs]]|
|Chassis||Type 79-60 Endo Steel|
|Armor||Compound H17 Ferro-Fibrous|
|Engine||Type 79 360 XL|
|Communications System||JNE Integrated|
|Targeting Tracking System||Build 3Z Cat TTS|
|Heat Sinks||10 Double heat sinks|
|Jump Jets||Clan Standard Type A1|
When the Jade Falcon Touman clamored for a new heavy 'Mech design in the waning years of the Jihad, rather than waste time on an all-new design, merchant Daniel of Olivetti Weaponry responded by completing an unfinished Clan Homeworld BattleMech prototype that added fifteen tons to the medium weight OmniMech in the manner of the Ryoken II and Mad Cat II designs. While the original prototype mounted a Gauss Rifle like its lighter antecedent, after the Falcons won the rights to the Hyper-Assault Gauss Rifle technology, the Shadow Cat II became their production testbed for the HAG technology.
Built using the same expensive weight saving technology as its lighter parent, the Shadow Cat II is able to match the performance of the Shadow Cat without any significant loss of firepower, but only a half ton increase of armor over the 45 ton design. Ten Double Heat Sinks can easily cope with the 'Mech's heavily ammo dependent weapons array.
Weapons and Equipment
A right-arm mounted Type 0 Hyper-Assault Gauss Rifle 20, supported by a Type X Short Bow LRM-10 launcher in each torso allowed the Shadow Cat II to unleash a hail of fire capable of stripping off two full tons of armor. While most fire-support designs focus on punching through armor, the Shadow Cat II's shotgun-like payload made it more effective in tearing apart already damaged enemies. A Series 7Ja ER Medium Laser was mounted almost as an afterthought in the 'Mech's right torso. Carrying two tons each of LRM and HAG reloads, while the laser provided a degree of non-ammo based firepower, its inclusion was considered wasteful by many observers who suggested an extra ton of reloads for the ammo-hungry HAG may have been a better use for the weight.
- Shadow Cat II 2
- An Experimental Technology variant fielded in 3077, the Shadow Cat II 2 replaces the HAG with an ER Large and ER Medium Pulse Laser, both fitted with Laser Insulator Shields. As with many Jihad-era Falcon experiments, the weight freed up by the removal of the HAG and its ammo was used to allow the Shadow Cat II 2 to mount a 'Mech scale Partial Wing to enhance its jump distance. The Shadow Cat II 2 variant retains the LRM-10 launchers and ER Medium Laser of the first variant. BV (2.0) = 2,106
Dark Age Variants
- Prototype/Gauss Rifle Variant - The original Homeworlds prototype, which was intended to carry a standard Gauss Rifle in place of the HAG, finally appeared in the flesh in the Dark Age era carrying either a "Thunderstroke" Mk II or an EMRG "Captain" model. This model also mounted MASC.
- Shadow Cat: The Shadow Cat II is a heavier, non-Omni variant of the Shadow Cat
- Technical Readout: 3085, pp. 160-161, "Shadow Cat II"
- MUL online entry for the Shadow Cat II
- Record Sheets: 3085 Print Edition, p. 75
- MUL online entry for the Shadow Cat II 2 variant
- Record Sheets: 3085 Unabridged - The Cutting Edge, p. 227
- MUL online entry for the Shadow Cat II 3 variant
- Record Sheets: 3145 New Tech, New Upgrades, p. 138
- MUL online entry for the Shadow Cat II 4 variant
- Record Sheets: 3145 New Tech, New Upgrades, p. 139