- This article is about Clan Nova Cat's medium OmniMech. For Clan Jade Falcon's heavy fire-support BattleMech, see Shadow Cat II.
|Manufacturer||Barcella Beta, Clan Protectorate Arms|
|Mech type||Clan OmniMech|
|Chassis||Type 79-45 Endo Steel|
|Armor||Compound H17 Ferro-Fibrous with CASE|
|Engine||RFUM 270 XL|
|Communications System||JNE Integrated|
|Targeting Tracking System||Build 2 CAT TTS|
|Heat Sinks||10 Double heat sinks|
|Speed||97 km/h (130 km/h with MASC)|
|Jump Jets||Model KY Boosters|
The Shadow Cat is a heavily-armed and maneuverable medium OmniMech that was developed by Clan Nova Cat to supersede the Ice Ferret in the early 31st century during preparations for Operation Revival. Use of the Shadow Cat spread to other Clans since its introduction, most notably the Annihilated Clan Smoke Jaguar as well as Clans Cloud Cobra, Diamond Shark, Fire Mandrill, Steel Viper and Wolf.
First used against Inner Sphere forces during the Battle of Luthien, the successful Shadow Cat was subsequently deployed by the Clans against ComStar during the Battle of Tukayyid. The Shadow Cat is one of the few Invasion-era Clan 'Mechs to lack a separate Inner Sphere designation; every Inner Sphere pilot who encountered the 'Mech before the Battle of Tukayyid was killed in action, and ComStar was informed of its designation before that battle which resulted in both sides using the same name to refer to the Shadow Cat.
Production of the Shadow Cat in the Clan Homeworlds faltered in the years after the Great Refusal, and stopped altogether around the time of the Wars of Reaving. This 'Mech was one of several older designs that were being phased out of manufacture in the Homeworlds. The reasons for the cessation of Shadow Cat production were never explicitly given, but it is possible that the 'Mech's association with the exiled Clan Nova Cat played a role in the decision to phase out this 'Mech.
In the Inner Sphere, however, no such reservations existed - despite its historical associations, the Shadow Cat remains a highly successful design that has seen continued production by Clan Nova Cat well into the Dark Age period. Rights to produce the 'Mech were acquired by the rechristened Clan Sea Fox, who continue to sell Shadow Cats to most Clans and even Inner Sphere militaries. 
Weapons and Equipment
This expensive OmniMech makes use of weight-saving technologies in the form of an Endo Steel internal structure, an XL engine, and seven tons of Ferro-Fibrous armor. All of these together allow the Shadow Cat to employ more pod space than the Ice Ferret at the expense of speed. To counteract this, the base chassis employs enough jump jets to vault up to 180 meters in a single bound and Myomer Accelerated Signal Circuitry that enables it to move up to 130 km/h in bursts.
The primary configuration of the Shadow Cat wields a Gauss Rifle allowing it to handily defeat smaller opponents, often before they can get within range. A pair of smaller ER Medium Lasers back up the rifle, together able to deal almost as much damage as the Gauss Rifle can at closer ranges. An Active Probe gives the Shadow Cat the ability to detect hidden units, making it a capable scout.
- Alternate Configuration A
- The first alternate configuration is also potent at long range, but it uses a pair of ER Large Lasers to gain that potency. It retains the Prime configuration's Active Probe, but carries a Streak SRM-6 for backup instead of the Medium Lasers. It also utilizes three extra Double Heat Sinks to keep heat levels comfortable. BV (1.0) = 1,972, BV (2.0) = 2,220
- Alternate Configuration B
- This variant is also a fusion of long-range weaponry with a scouting system, but emphasises indirect firepower. This configuration carries a pair of Artemis IV-guided LRM 15s as well as a pair of ER Medium Lasers for point defence. Retaining the Active Probe, the B configuration adds an ECM Suite to the electronics package. BV (1.0) = 2,123, BV (2.0) = 2,420
- Alternate Configuration C
- A more recent variant, the Shadow Cat C marries a pair of ATM 6s to three ER Medium Lasers. It mounts enough ammunition to make full use of the flexibility of the Advanced Tactical Missile System. A Narc Missile Beacon helps colleagues' missiles target an enemy unit. BV (1.0) = 1,817, BV (2.0) = 2,199
- Alternate Configuration D
- This configuration carries an ER Large Laser and an extra Double Heat Sink in the right arm, while the left arm carries a pair of Medium Pulse Lasers. The left torso carries two Machine Guns, an ER Small Laser and another Medium Pulse Laser. To capitalize on the damage inflicted by the close-range weapons, the right torso mounts a Streak SRM-6. A ton of ammo is provided for the machine guns and the missile launcher. BV (2.0) = 2,298
- Alternate Configuration H
- This configuration makes its presence known at long range through the use of an LRM-20 with Artemis IV FCS capability. A Targeting Computer-assisted Heavy Large Laser packs a wallop, though four extra double heat sinks are used to keep heat in check. BV (1.0) = 1,980, BV (2.0) = 2,155
- Alternate Configuration I
- This configuration carries an ER Medium Pulse Laser and Improved Heavy Medium Laser in each arm; these are linked into a Targeting Computer. Each side torso carries a Streak SRM-6 with a ton of ammunition. An extra double heat sink is mounted in the right arm. BV (2.0) = 2,408
- Alternate Configuration M
- A fast striker, this configuration mounts a Large Pulse Laser in each arm and an ER Medium Laser in each side torso. Three additional heat sinks help mitigate the heat generated by such an energy-intensive weapons loadout. BV (2.0) = 2,438
- Alternate Configuration TC
- Used in the Battle of Tukayyid, this configuration carries an LB 10-X autocannon in the right arm. Two tons of ammunition is stored in the right torso. The left torso mounts an SRM-4 with a ton of ammunition, along with an Active Probe. The TC configuration also makes use of two Small Pulse Lasers, one in the left arm and one in the right torso. BV (2.0) = 1,378
These variants were introduced in various apocryphal sources, and thus far have not appeared in any canonical media.
From MechWarrior Online:
- SHC-MI Mishipesh
- A customized variant of the Shadow Cat. A depiction of Nova Cat Khan, Lucian Carns' personal 'Mech of choice. The Mishipeshu uses an ER Large Laser in its left arm. The right arm carries an Ultra Autocannon/5 with one ton of ammo, supported by an ER Medium Laser. In the right torso, a Streak SRM-6 with a ton of ammo.
The Shadow Cat has the Narrow/Low Profile Design quirk.
- Shadow Cat II - The Shadow Cat II is a heavier, non-Omni variant of the Shadow Cat developed by Clan Jade Falcon.
- Shadow Cat III - The Shadow Cat III was made as an improvement to the original Shadow Cat
- Lucian Carns - The saKhan of Clan Nova Cat was piloting a Shadow Cat-Prime at the time of his death during the Great Refusal.
In German products the unit's proper Clan name was perfectly translated to Schattenkatze.
Original Shadow Cat from The Black Thorns
Shadow Cat from TRO:3058
Shadow Cat from RG:ilClan v9
A Shadow Cat in action from The Dragon Roars
Shadow Cat firing its Gauss Rifle from BT:25 Years
Shadow Cat Prime in motion from CCG
Model of Shadow Cat from MW4:Mercenaries
Model of Shadow Cat from MWO
Annihilation Expansion Dark Age era Shadow Cat from Wizkids website
- Technical Readout: 3058 Upgrade, pp. 170-171, "Shadow Cat Profile"
- Recognition Guide: ilClan, vol. 9, p. 12
- MUL online date for the Shadow Cat
- Record Sheets: 3058 Upgrades, p. 201
- Record Sheets: 3058 Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 134
- Technical Readout: 3058 Upgrade, pp. 170-171, "Shadow Cat Profile"
- The Black Thorns, pp. 58-59
- Technical Readout: 3058, pp. 166-167, "Shadow Cat"
- The Wars of Reaving Supplemental p.17
- Recognition Guide: ilClan, vol.6, p.12, "Shadow Cat"
- Record Sheets: 3058 Upgrades, p. 202
- Record Sheets: 3058 Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 135
- Record Sheets: 3058 Upgrades, p. 203
- Record Sheets: 3058 Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 136
- Record Sheets: 3058 Upgrades, p. 204
- Record Sheets: Upgrades, p. 77
- Record Sheets: 3058 Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 137
- Record Sheets: 3145 New Tech, New Upgrades, p. 112
- Record Sheets: 3145 New Tech, New Upgrades, p. 113
- Record Sheets: 3058 Upgrades, p. 205
- Record Sheets: Upgrades, p. 78
- Record Sheets: 3058 Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 138
- Record Sheets: 3058 Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 139
- BattleTech: Battle of Tukayyid, p. 148
- MechWarrior Online - "Night Gyr"
- Twilight of the Clans, p. 38, "Attacker", Carns' 'Mech and BattleTech statistics
- BattleTech: Battle of Tukayyid
- The Black Thorns
- Master Unit List
- Recognition Guide: ilClan, vol. 9
- Record Sheets: 3055/3058
- Record Sheets: 3058 Unabridged (Clan & Star League)
- Record Sheets: 3058 Upgrades
- Record Sheets: 3145 New Tech, New Upgrades
- Record Sheets: Upgrades
- Technical Readout: 3058
- Technical Readout: 3058 Upgrade