8th Syrtis Fusiliers
|8th Syrtis Fusiliers RCT|
|Unit Profile (as of 3062)|
|Nickname||The Snow Cobras|
|Parent Formation||Syrtis Fusiliers|
|Formed||Age of War|
The Eighth Syrtis Fusiliers used lighter 'Mechs, hovercraft, and VTOLs to move quickly throughout the battlefields.
- 1 History
- 2 Officers
- 3 Tactics
- 4 Composition History
- 5 Notes
- 6 References
- 7 Bibliography
The Eighth Syrtis Fusiliers could trace its origins back to the Age of War or earlier and the private military force raised by House Hasek to defend its mining and drilling concerns on New Syrtis. The Syrtis Fusiliers became the private guard and personal army of the Hasek family, with their star rising alongside that of the Hasek family and New Syrtis; the Syrtis Fusiliers expanded, and as time progressed the brigade became the official guard of New Syrtis and then the perhaps the most important military command within the Capellan March Principality of the Federated Suns.
Davion Civil War
The bulk of the Syrtis Fusiliers brigade supported Prince David Varnay and his wife Cassandra Davion loyally throughout the Davion Civil War, opposing first the combined forces of Laura Davion and Nikolai Rostov and then First Prince Alexander Davion. At the end of the war Prince Alexander offered an amnesty to the survivors from the brigade, and reintegrated the Syrtis Fusiliers into the Armed Forces of the Federated Suns, the restructured military that replaced the Federated Peacekeeping Forces as the state military of the Federated Suns.
Alexander's clemency towards the Syrtis Fusiliers and his subsequent actions in rebuffing the attempt by Richard Varnay to seize control of the Capellan March cemented the Fusiliers' loyalty to New Avalon and the wider Federated Suns.
The Star League
The Eighth Syrtis Fusiliers served the Federated Suns well in the two centuries following the Davion Civil War; when the Star League council issued the Council Edict of 2650, sharply limiting the size of the military each Great House was allowed to maintain, the Eighth and her sister regiments were left untouched. The brigade would remain ten regiments strong until shortly after the repeal of the Council Edict of 2650.
During the Star League era the Eighth was a complete contrast to her sister regiment, the Seventh, perhaps intentionally; whereas the Seventh was an assault regiment with a preponderance of slow, heavy 'Mechs, the Eighth was a lightweight regiment within which almost every 'Mech could reach a cruising speed of sixty kilometers per hour or better. As a consequence the Eighth was capable of maneuvering very flexibly on the battlefield.
FedCom Civil War
The unit was dragged into the FedCom Civil War in 3065 when pro-Katherine forces tried to conquer New Syrtis in an attempt to neutralize Duke Hasek. The Duke's forces eventually repelled the invaders but all units suffered heavy casualties. The Eighth was forced to fight the 11th Avalon Hussars, 4th Donegal Guards, and the Ridgebrook CMM. The unit was stationed to Genoa in 3067 to rebuild.
After participating in Operation Sovereign Justice and Operation Thunderstrike the Eighth's personnel issues have downgraded the unit's experience level. The Eighth's soldiers were also having trouble learning the new tactics that are required by a Light Combat Team. Fortunately Brusett wasn't likely to come under attack soon, so this weakness cannot be exploited by the Capellan Confederation.
The Dark Age
As part of Operation MATADOR the Eighth teamed up with the 2nd Robinson Strikers to assault Hyalite. The two AFFS units drove the 3rd Taurian Lancers from the world. The Eighth then went on to secure Norman's World. In 3082 they were able to rebuild their armor unit and gain the full complement of battle armor troopers. They were moved to garrison Talcott.
The 8th Syrtis Fusiliers are a fast unit - deploying light Mechs, hover-tanks, and helicopters.
Eighth Syrtis Fusiliers (Veteran/Reliable)
- - At This point in time the Eighth were stationed on Chesteron. The Syrtis Hover Recon - a battalion of hover vehicles - had been attached to the Eighth for so long at this point in time that it was essentially a de facto part of the Eighth, although it was still listed as merely being "temporarily attached".
Eighth Syrtis Fusiliers RCT (Regular/Questionable)
- CO: Marshal Iona Hasek
Eighth Syrtis Füsiliers RCT (Regular/Reliable)
Eighth Syrtis Fusiliers RCT (Regular/Reliable)
- CO: Hauptmann General Pollak Ramsey
Eighth Syrtis Fusiliers RCT (Regular/Reliable)
- CO: Hauptmann General Deborah Palu
- CO: Leftenant General Entropy Richards
- Aide: Major Lorena Felton
- CO: Light Commodore Jordane Meloch
Eighth Syrtis Fusiliers Armor Brigade (3 Regiments/Elite/Fanatical)
- CO: Major General Bruce Durnne
- Aide: Leftenant Colonel Iakobus Malenkov
- 8th Ogilvie Light Armor - Colonel: Hachi Lee-Kwane
- 88th Lyons Cavalry Regiment - Colonel: Ingvar Haakensen
- 100th Talon Armored Regiment - Leftenant Colonel Darlene Shouth
- 259th Syrtis Artillery Battalion - Captain Dusty Bondo
Eighth Syrtis Fusiliers Infantry Brigade (4 Regiments/Regular/Reliable)
- CO: Major General Rezi LaFayette
- Aide: Leftenant Colonel Paul Farchione
- 384th Federation Mechanized Infantry Regiment - Colonel: Meda Brown
- 390th Federation Mechanized Infantry Regiment - Colonel: William James Rohm
- 7th Alcyone Mechanized Regiment - Leftenant Colonel: Veronica Hasek-Romanov
- 189th Syrtis Jump Regiment - Colonel: Rafaella Delacruz
- Infantry regiments fields AFVs
- CO: General Entropy Richards
- CO: Rear Admiral Grant Jeron
Eighth Syrtis Fusiliers Armor Brigade (Elite/Reliable)
- CO: Major General Dusty Bondo
Eighth Syrtis Fusiliers Infantry Brigade (Regular/Reliable)
- CO: Major General William James Rohm
Eighth Syrtis Fusiliers LCT (Regular/Questionable)
- CO: Marshal Entropy Richards
Eighth Syrtis Fusiliers Aerospace Brigade (Green/Reliable)
- CO: Commodore Adriano Bott
Eighth Syrtis Fusiliers Armor Brigade (Regular/Reliable)
- CO: Major General Fleur Baggaley
Eighth Syrtis Fusiliers Infantry Brigade (Green/Reliable)
- CO: Major General Alaric Schneider
Since at least 2960, the 8th have had a traditional drink: the "Sour Cobra":
Theoretically 2 shots of Bourbon, 1 spoon citrus juice, 1 spoon lemon juice, 1 cup crushed ice. But in reality on New Syrtis they often had to resort to: Bourbon, concentrated citrus or lemon juice, and ice, freshly chopped from a glacier.
The Sour Cobra is also recommended for cleaning purposes.
- House Davion (The Federated Suns), p. 141
- Field Report 2765: Federated Suns, p. 18, "Syrtis Fusiliers"
- House Davion (The Federated Suns), p. 137 (pdf version), "Ridgebrook PDZ"
- Field Manual: Federated Suns, p. 107, "8th Syrtis Fusiliers Unit Profile"
- Field Manual: Updates, p. 132
- FedCom Civil War (sourcebook), pp. 141-142, 156
- Field Manual: Updates, p. 137, "AFFS Deployment Table - 3067"
- Field Report: AFFS, p. 15
- Technical Readout: 3058 Upgrade, p. 86
- Field Manual: 3085, p. 23
- Field Manual: 3085, p. 54
- Field Manual: 3085, p. 63
- 20 Year Update, p. 22, "AFFC Deployment Table - 3050"
- Objective Raids, p. 15, "Federated Commonwealth Deployment Table"
- Field Manual: 3085, p. 69, "AFFS Deployment Table - 3085"
- Field Report 2765: Federated Suns, p. 19, "Regimental Status"
- Historical: War of 3039, p. 136
- Imminent Crisis , p. 43