3rd Lyran Regulars
- Devlin Stone's Origins Revealed
- BattleTech Is Coming In April!
- Blaine Lee Pardoe Provides Fascinating Look At “Twilight Of The Clans” Origins
- Year of Battle Armor: Unit 1 - Corona Heavy Battle Armor
- Community Outreach - Interview With Brent Evans, Lead BattleTech Developer At Catalyst Games
- Read more →
|3rd Lyran Regulars|
|Unit Profile (as of 3145)|
|Nickname||"The Bee Squishers"|
|Parent Formation||Lyran Regulars|
- 1 History
- 2 Officers
- 3 Tactics
- 4 Composition History
- 5 Notes
- 6 References
- 7 Bibliography
First Succession War
The 3rd Lyran Regulars were reactivated in 2782; the Lyran Commonwealth Armed Forces recruited the 567th Striker Regiment, a former Star League Defense Force regiment from the 2nd Army in 2782 and rebadged them as the 3rd.
The 3rd Lyran Regulars spent most of their existence fighting the Draconis Combine. They were seen as a "hot-tempered" unit, fighting the Combine with every weapon available. The Fourth Succession War and War of 3039 provided several chances for the 3rd to face their traditional foes.
Fourth Succession War
The planet Harvest was a major agricultural world for the Rasalhague Military District, which made it a key early target for the Lyran Commonwealth during the Fourth Succession War, and it was one of the first worlds attacked in the opening wave of Operation GÖTTERDÄMMERUNG. The Lyran Commonwealth Armed Forces task force consisted of three BattleMech regiments - the First and a sister unit, the 3rd Lyran Regulars, along with the the 4th Donegal Guards, supported by forty assorted regiments of infantry and armor.
The garrison on Harvest when the LCAF invasion force arrived in August 3028 consisted of twenty assorted regiments of armor and infantry and two mercenary 'Mech regiments, the 5th Amphigean Light Assault Group and Helmut's Hermits. The Lyran forces dropped on the Ohio continent en masse and made immediate and effective use of the new Lightning Companies created as a result of the cross-training and co-operation between the LCAF and the Armed Forces of the Federated Suns in the years before the invasion. In two key battles - one the Battle of Dangalobee Fields Where the 1st Lyran Regulars RCT fought the 5th Amphigean Light Assault Group, and the other the Battle for Pusou Hill where the 4th Donegal Guards RCT and elements of both Lyran Regulars RCTs fought against the Hermits - the Lightning Companies exploited weaknesses in the enemy line to break through and wreak havoc in the DCMS rear areas, catching their opponents by complete surprise.
During the exploitation phase that followed the first wave of attacks in Operation GÖTTERDÄMMERUNG the 3rd joined a follow-on invasion of the planet Kirchbach, a Prefecture capital within the Rasalhague Military District. Deploying under the overall command of General Troka, the 3rd deployed alongside the 4th Donegal Guards again, as well as Winfield's Brigade and a secret, newly-formed regiment, the Tyr Regiment - an assault-weight 'Mech command formed from members of the Tyr resistance group and those with roots in the former Rasalhague Principality. The opposition on Kirchback consisted of the 17th Rasalhague Regulars and the remaining elements of the 5th Amphigean LAG and Helmut's Hermits, who had retreated to Kirchbach after their defeat on Harvest. The Tyr regiment routed the 17th Rasalhague Regulars in a battle near the city of Östersund; the appearance of the regiment prompted a popular revolt among the population, who were still predominantly of Scandinavian heritage. The population engaged in riots and strikes, while members of the Tyr underground movement launched sabotage attacks that helped fuel an environment so hostile to the DCMS forces that they were left feeling as if they were fighting in an enemy realm. With the 17th damaged and the 5th Amphigean LAG and Helmut's Hermits still weak from their earlier battles the DCMS was forced to recall its forces from Kirchbach. General Kelly Benzinger, the commanding officer of the 17th, committed suicide on Kirchbach.
Late Succession Wars Period
In 3040 the 3rd raided Sinope in the livery of the Avellar Guards. Unfortunately the Guards were participating in a diplomatic function along with ambassadors from the Federated Commonwealth and the Draconis Combine. The raid led to the High Command dismissing the Regular's commander and executive officer and reprimanding most of the others. After the unauthorized raid, the unit was reassigned to Pitkin.
The Clan Invasion saw the 3rd reassigned to the Lyran Commonwealth but spent their time along the Clan Wolf invasion corridor acting as a clean-up and support force for other units. In 3056 they were reassigned back to Pitkin in the Draconis March.
FedCom Civil War
Falling for a political gambit of Tancred Sandoval, Katherine Steiner-Davion ordered them in 3063 to seize Woodbine. They detained all aristocrats and politicians. Later that year, they were beaten by Tancred Sandoval's task force. Though they were unsuccessful and had been repatriated to the Lyran Alliance, a lack of transport assets kept them on Woodbine when the FedCom Civil War ended.
The 3rd Lyran Regulars were effectively destroying during the Word of Blake attacked Woodbine; mustering a total strength of just two combined arms companies, there was no way the 3rd could resist the Blakists for long.
The unit was rebuilt by the LCAF in the aftermath of the Jihad, and in 3085 were stationed on the interior world of Richvale. The 3rd was reconstituted using elements of the 8th Lyran Regulars, and in a somewhat unusual move Leutnant-General Cynthia Nelson, CO of the 8th, transferred to become the commanding officer of the newly-formed 3rd. This led to speculation that General Nelson had transferred for dubious reasons, possibly involving either foreknowledge of the 8th's imminent posting to Inarcs or attempt to extort money from Quikscell.
In May 3137, they were deployed as part of Operation Hammerfall, the Lyran invasion of fragmented Free Worlds League. The command was lead during the campaign by General Bernard Nordhoff as part "Anvil" task force. They fought hard battles against the resurrected Silver Hawk Irregulars on various worlds in Marik-Stewart Commonwealth from May to October. Later deploying against strong militia units in Duchy of Tamarind-Abbey November and December. On 14th, 1st & 2nd battalions help end conflict in the Duchy with assistance of Roderick Steiner and his remains of his Broken Swords Battalion fighting against the 1st Tamarind Regulars on Tamarind.
|Commanding Officers of the 3rd Lyran Regulars|
later promoted to
|Cynthia Nelson ||3085|
|Bernard Nordhoff||3137|
3rd Lyran Regulars (Veteran/Questionable)
- - At this point in time the Third was a medium-weight regiment and was at full strength, stationed on Apollo.
3rd Lyran Regulars (Veteran/Questionable)
- - At this point in time the Third was still stationed on Apollo, but had been reduced to just thirty-eight percent of full strength.
3rd Lyran Regulars (Regular/Reliable)
3rd Lyran Regulars (Regular/Reliable)
- 297th Tamar Cavalry Regiment (Regiment/Regular/Questionable)
CO: Kommandant Lucius Radovan
- The commanding officer of the 3rd Lyran Regulars is incorrectly given as Leutnant-General Paul Zardetto in Field Manual: 3085; it was confirmed in the official errata thread that the correct CO is Leutnant-General Cynthia Nelson, as Paul Zardetto is listed twice within the LCAF deployment table.
- The unit earned its nickname after battling a regiment of Kurita jump infantry.
- First Succession War, p. 33, "Those Left Behind (Continued)"
- Field Manual: Lyran Alliance, p. 86, "3rd Lyran Regulars Profile"
- NAIS The Fourth Succession War Military Atlas Volume 1, p. 46, "Harvest"
- NAIS The Fourth Succession War Military Atlas Volume 1, p. 60, "Kirchbach"
- NAIS The Fourth Succession War Military Atlas Volume 1, p. 60-61, "End of the Offensive"
- 20 Year Update, p. 20, "AFFC Deployment Table - 3050"
- FedCom Civil War (sourcebook), p. 65
- FedCom Civil War (sourcebook), pp. 79-80
- Field Manual: Updates, p. 171
- Field Report: LAAF, p. 13, "Lyran Regulars"
- Field Manual: 3085, p. 102, "Lyran Regulars"
- Technical Readout: 3145 Free Worlds League, p. 30
- NAIS The Fourth Succession War Military Atlas Volume 1, p. 128
- House Steiner (The Lyran Commonwealth), p. 118, "Deployment Table - 3025"
- Field Manual: Updates, p. 179, "LAAF Deployment Table - 3067"
- Field Manual: 3085 official Errata
- Field Manual: 3145, p. 132, "Lyran Commonwealth Armed Forces - Bucklands Theater"
- First Succession War, p. 139, "Lyran Commonwealth Armed Forces (LCAF)"
- Historical: War of 3039 , p. 137
- Field Manual: 3085, p. 108, "LCAF Deployment Table - 3085"
- Field Manual: 3085, p. 108-109, "LCAF Deployment Table - 3085"
- House Steiner (The Lyran Commonwealth), p. 77
- 20 Year Update
- Field Manual: 3085
- Field Manual: 3145
- Field Manual: Lyran Alliance
- Field Manual: Updates
- Field Report: LAAF
- Fire At Will (Novel)
- First Succession War
- Historical: War of 3039
- NAIS The Fourth Succession War Military Atlas Volume 1
- Patriots and Tyrants (Novel)
- FedCom Civil War (sourcebook)
- Technical Readout: 3145 Free Worlds League